42 Pages V  « < 36 37 38 39 40 > »   
Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
Todd Simpson
Aug 7 2017, 05:37 AM
GMC:er
NICE!!! It was going really well and then it went really really well about 27 seconds in when you were channelling vai/yngwie smile.gif Super nice at that point. Prior to that, I must say I really dig your choice of licks as it sounded very close to what ended up being my solo when i was testing the backing out. Then it really took off BAM! That Arp/Sweep bit fits really well and sounds darn cool as a bonus. Pulling it off on a 7 string neck is just icing on the cake. Score.

I like the hyper fast bit that follows as well. I remember you had some concerns about it but it worked for me and then you used a rotating repeat to let the song catch up a bit and transition to your next move. Top points for the improv on that as it worked out really well. Then you use some dynamics and bring it down towards the end and focus on note choice and vibrato. All in all you pretty much FREAKING KILLED IT!!!!!!

in short you just....

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

I"m going to let this one run for ONE MORE WEEK to give everyone a chance. Even GABE is going to put in a take!
So take heart if you didn't have time last week, now you have one more and a couple of cool solos to pull ideas from if you are so inclined smile.gif Although I'd need tabs for the yngie bit in Ben's. Speaking of,

BEN GIVE US THE TABS FOR YOUR YNGWIE SWEEP BIT!!!!!
Also, it's great to see that killer Ibby again! There are only 10 of those in all of Europe?

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 6 2017, 07:05 PM) *

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 7 2017, 05:38 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 7 2017, 08:55 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Here's another go.

I tried to stay in the blues scale this time. I left the rhythm bit in at the beginning. The timing goes way off sometimes, I hang onto the bends too long, I seem to trance out when I play those big bends rolleyes.gif I do pull it back into time once in a while though. Full of mistakes but I'll still put it out there. We need some sub standard stuff to try to coax others in by not scaring them off, that's my excuse anyway biggrin.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/ssfc-51-take-2

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 7 2017, 08:55 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 7 2017, 10:40 PM
I dig it smile.gif I see what you mean about the notes that are off a bit giving a sense of darkness/forboding/tension. The bad news is that most folks may just notice the tension and think you are playing off key. I did notice it quite a bit around 52 seconds with the lick you repeated. The last note doesn't sound like it's in key. For this type of thing, a video would be very helpful so I can see where you are fretting and get a better idea of what is going on in order to give some constructive advice. I do appreciate the odd atonal bit, but usually you have to do it almost call and response"ish" and contrast it to a similar lick in key to show it's on purpose and structural. Make sense?

Same thing again at one minute in. I really wish I could see your fingers. Where are you landing? Are you sure you are in the key of D Blues? What is your root note fret just for reference? Again at 1:09 you hit a note that sounds a bit outside the scale as well, can you tell me what that one is? Again @ 1:13. Same sorta thing.

I appreciate the creativity you show in this solo and your unconventional approach which is very unique in deed! These are all valuable things in and off themselves and part of what makes a great player. Thy are the flip side of playing everything in key which would get dull, so adding some atonal bits keeps it fresh smile.gif I applaud you there for sure.

If you get time, can you shoot, even on cell phone, I don't care about audio quality, so I can see what your doing? I'm really curious at this point smile.gif

I am curious if you can hear the bits I note as being outside of "key"? Do they stick out to your ears or do they sound just fine? Usually, one's ear is the thing that leads in that it's the ear that tells us we are bending to key, or not, or landing on key, or not, so building up the ear with regular solo construction is critical! That's part of why I want you guys to to focus on just listening to the backing and trying to hear in your head what notes should go there and then play them. smile.gif

Well done and thanks for giving it another go!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 7 2017, 03:55 PM) *
Here's another go.

I tried to stay in the blues scale this time. I left the rhythm bit in at the beginning. The timing goes way off sometimes, I hang onto the bends too long, I seem to trance out when I play those big bends rolleyes.gif I do pull it back into time once in a while though. Full of mistakes but I'll still put it out there. We need some sub standard stuff to try to coax others in by not scaring them off, that's my excuse anyway biggrin.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/ssfc-51-take-2

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 8 2017, 07:26 AM
Thanks Todd,

The comment I made HERE about the flat bends giving tension was about the previous take mate, not this one wink.gif

Regarding the last take, above, I was a numpty rolleyes.gif I have realised what I did. It sound odd in a way but I was convinced I was using the correct notes so I put it down to being tired after my first 9 hours on my feet in a factory for two weeks.

It was a spontaneous decision to do another take, I quickly looked HERE for the scale and just hammered it out in one take. My ears aren't all that good at the moment and some notes sounded ok but some sounded "off". Sometimes, to my ears, even notes in key sound "off", particularly the ones when you play them straight after a note that is a semitone lower so I just thought it was a combination of that and tiredness rolleyes.gif

I sometimes think I'll never get this geetar playing thang down unsure.gif

Cheers buddy and sorry for confusing you.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 8 2017, 04:15 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 8 2017, 08:56 PM
Another go, total improv again, bends still falling short, not the easiest to come up with ideas on the spot biggrin.gif

Sorry but I left the rhythm in there as I can't think of anything for that part other than the rhythm thing.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/ssfc-51-take-3

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 8 2017, 08:57 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 9 2017, 06:25 AM
Ahhh smile.gif That makes sense. I gotta say, given that you were soloing in an entirely different key you did really well. I don't think I could have done any better to be honest. You accidently picked a key that would naturally sorta work against the the key in question. Still you managed to pull it off so I gotta give credit where it's due. You didn't give up, you pushed through, and that alone is impressive.

Onward! I like your new one the best of all smile.gif Your bends are much improved and your note choice is improved as well! Really the entire things is just wads better all around. It's got a thematic vibe to it which works well and the chords work just fine. This is a good example of how good you can play. It just takes a few times of going at it and trying again but that's learning guitar for ya in a nut shell right there. Super Congrats on your best take yet and I knew you could pull it off! smile.gif

There was only one bend that sorta stuck out at me, but not worth a redo, @ around 1:44. Just give it a listen again and see if you can notice it during the next one if you notice it happening. I think you are getting much better at soloing as we go. It's a big difference between playing drills and trying to compose a solo which is why this part of it is so important. Once you get your finger mechanics to start working, being able to use your ear to apply them in a solo context is the really important thing smile.gif It's at that point that you are creating music which is what this is all about wink.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 8 2017, 03:56 PM) *
Another go, total improv again, bends still falling short, not the easiest to come up with ideas on the spot biggrin.gif

Sorry but I left the rhythm in there as I can't think of anything for that part other than the rhythm thing.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/ssfc-51-take-3

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 9 2017, 07:39 AM
Thanks Todd,

Maybe with the other one, if I'd picked a key that was way off I might have noticed more but because that key I picked is near in many ways, then I was thinking it was me being tired etc.

I will try to get another one up using a different part of the neck, it's just so sweet playing around the 12th fret zone smile.gif

I do kinda notice that the bends are short but by that time I need to move on, I guess it's just down to practice and getting to know it a bit more in my head.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 9 2017, 06:25 AM) *
Ahhh smile.gif That makes sense. I gotta say, given that you were soloing in an entirely different key you did really well. I don't think I could have done any better to be honest. You accidently picked a key that would naturally sorta work against the the key in question. Still you managed to pull it off so I gotta give credit where it's due. You didn't give up, you pushed through, and that alone is impressive.

Onward! I like your new one the best of all smile.gif Your bends are much improved and your note choice is improved as well! Really the entire things is just wads better all around. It's got a thematic vibe to it which works well and the chords work just fine. This is a good example of how good you can play. It just takes a few times of going at it and trying again but that's learning guitar for ya in a nut shell right there. Super Congrats on your best take yet and I knew you could pull it off! smile.gif

There was only one bend that sorta stuck out at me, but not worth a redo, @ around 1:44. Just give it a listen again and see if you can notice it during the next one if you notice it happening. I think you are getting much better at soloing as we go. It's a big difference between playing drills and trying to compose a solo which is why this part of it is so important. Once you get your finger mechanics to start working, being able to use your ear to apply them in a solo context is the really important thing smile.gif It's at that point that you are creating music which is what this is all about wink.gif

Todd

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 9 2017, 09:26 PM
Another attempt, exploring different parts of the neck a little bit more. I even made a failed attempt a vibrato on a bend biggrin.gif Sorry to bombard you with takes huh.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/ssfc-51-take-4

You know what these are good for? After a while, you don't care about sharing your mistakes. At my level, to try and make a take without mistakes is nigh on impossible when you're improvising. Lately though, I don't care about people hearing them so long as most of it is ok that's fine by me. It kind of relaxes you about the whole "being under scrutiny" thing. If that makes sense?

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 9 2017, 09:30 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 10 2017, 05:57 AM
I must say I'm quite proud of you for being so bold as to share all your takes with us!! It's been great fun to see you getting better in real time!! I listened to this one many times and went away and came back to it to make sure I was hearing what I thought I was hearing and I was!!! smile.gif

I think you are really getting a better feel of what a given backing is asking for in terms of notes that would lay on top of it and sound spiff. Around 1:26 you start in on what could be the melody through line which I like a lot. It's something every good solo should have and something that can be repeated as a touch stone of sorts and as good jumping off point.

Your bends are getting better with each version as is your note choice. In short you seem to get a bit better each time which is great to see wink.gif Don't worry about making too many takes, THE MORE THE MERRIER!! Also, it's great that you are getting used to the idea of folks listening. It's normal to have a pinch of stage fright in front of the mic / camera / crowd of folks, etc. And just like playing guitar, it takes practice and repetition to get to the point where these things don't get in your way. Sorta like running a scale until it doesn't take your full concentration anymore so you can think about which notes to use instead of just running the scale from top to bottom. Playing in front of just a camera can be nerve racking at first. Then a crowd can be the same thing. But with enough repetition, you sorta get used to it. In phsycho therapy they call it "Desensitization Therapy". It's sorta the same idea. So please share as many takes as you like smile.gif Also, don't be shy about making videos too! I'd love to be able to see your hands instead of just hearing them, but I"ll take it either way smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 9 2017, 04:26 PM) *
Another attempt, exploring differenArt parts of the neck a little bit more. I even made a failed attempt a vibrato on a bend biggrin.gif Sorry to bombard you with takes huh.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/ssfc-51-take-4

You know what these are good for? After a while, you don't care about sharing your mistakes. At my level, to try and make a take without mistakes is nigh on impossible when you're improvising. Lately though, I don't care about people hearing them so long as most of it is ok that's fine by me. It kind of relaxes you about the whole "being under scrutiny" thing. If that makes sense?

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 11 2017, 09:49 PM
OK, I did a video.

It's not all that good, it is the end of a hard first week back at work, I'm tired etc blah blah blah and the camera was running, eeeeeek! blink.gif

It's not my favourite take but hopefully it will show any newcomers that this is what it takes, to noodle around until you come up with some ideas. I think you could take a few parts of this and come up with an ok 10-15 second solo. That was my main reason for doing this video wink.gif

Sorry, I didn't notice that I'd left the mouse there right in front of the camera, until I put it on YouTube rolleyes.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKwl8YX2z-M

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 12 2017, 06:19 AM
First off that's a very cool shirt! smile.gif And welcome back from vacation! Also thanks for the vid smile.gif A vid makes it much easier for me to diagnose any issues as I can see where one's fingers are landing. Without vid, I can hear if something is off, I just can't tell you where it happened. I dig this version of the solo very much smile.gif You keep getting better which is always great to see. I can finally see one source of the note issue I kept hearing before. If you are playing the D Minor scale, there is not a finger position at the 12th fret on the B string. That note is either one half tone sharp or flat as the actual notes are on either side of the 12th fret on the B string. I know that the scale generator stops at the 12th fret so you have to follow it around back to the open strings or use the scale generator to see the entire scale and just move it to the desired key/root.

I like the licks you came up with and you seemed to be winging it and not looking at a scale chart so I think you are getting a handle on the minor scale smile.gif Do a scale generator of A Minor and you can see the entire scale in it's main position. I'd say memorize that scale. It's one of the most widely used scales Rock music, right next to the blues scale which is why I make backings that make use of those two so often. I threw it for a loop by doing it in D which is not a key guitar players often solo in compared to the keys of E or A which are much more common in Rock in general.

Well made vid and in HD with perfect synch and high quality on top of a cool solo, well done!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 11 2017, 04:49 PM) *
OK, I did a video.

It's not all that good, it is the end of a hard first week back at work, I'm tired etc blah blah blah and the camera was running, eeeeeek! blink.gif

It's not my favourite take but hopefully it will show any newcomers that this is what it takes, to noodle around until you come up with some ideas. I think you could take a few parts of this and come up with an ok 10-15 second solo. That was my main reason for doing this video wink.gif

Sorry, I didn't notice that I'd left the mouse there right in front of the camera, until I put it on YouTube rolleyes.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKwl8YX2z-M

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 12 2017, 09:00 AM
Thanks Todd,
You know something? My mind was playing tricks on me. Until you pointed it out, and I went and looked, I was sure there was a note on that 12th fret and the odd thing is, I always have it on screen for reference.

I know sometimes we can get something in our heads that won't budge. I remember once, we did an advert for a magazine. Part of our phone number is 6778, the lead that did the advert put 6779. When I proofed it on his monitor I said, "There's something wrong on there, can you spot it?" He looked and looked and couldn't see it. I said "Read the phone number out loud". He did and he said "6778" while looking at 6779, he did it at least five times and I then said, "Read it backwards", he said, "9776.......... Oh shit, that's amazing, I can't believe that". It is an amazing thing when you think about it and demonstrates the proper of the mind to contradict your senses.

I've been listening to Bad Company a lot lately and it's hammered home the fact that solos really need a theme whereas mine are just a collection of random notes akin to a child that's learning to talk and just babbling away. I guess, like speech, music is just another language that needs to be nurtured to develop into something conversational.

Sorry to ramble on smile.gif

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE:

Another try, attempting to get to grips with the FULL scale in one position. I went to that old naughty 12th fret on the B string a couple of times but never mind wink.gif I didn't look at the scale generator once though wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBQXs6S20fs

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 12 2017, 09:37 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 13 2017, 07:16 PM
Nicely done! You are spot on when you say that solos need a "Theme" they really do if they are going to be remembered. When playing a solo in a song with vocals for example, the solo will often contain bits of the main melody from the vocals. In the case of instrumental music, you have to create your own "Melody through line" which you did around 1:52 so congrats there!!

It's an important part of solo work to be sure. It's something that takes a while to realize and implement. At first you are really just trying to hit the right notes. So you are growing with each version of this which is great to see smile.gif

Also, another part of it is learning scales to the point where you don't have to look at the chart anymore. Memorizing just a couple of patterns, (minor/blues) will let you concentrate on creating a cool solo rather than looking back at the chart. The way I memorized scales was by running them up and down looking at a scale sheet til I had them. Then I'd run them for an hour while watching tv unplugged. Just moving my fingers through the scale. It just takes repetition. smile.gif

Another cool solo and you have definately earned your badge on this one!!!!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 12 2017, 04:00 AM) *
Thanks Todd,
You know something? My mind was playing tricks on me. Until you pointed it out, and I went and looked, I was sure there was a note on that 12th fret and the odd thing is, I always have it on screen for reference.

I know sometimes we can get something in our heads that won't budge. I remember once, we did an advert for a magazine. Part of our phone number is 6778, the lead that did the advert put 6779. When I proofed it on his monitor I said, "There's something wrong on there, can you spot it?" He looked and looked and couldn't see it. I said "Read the phone number out loud". He did and he said "6778" while looking at 6779, he did it at least five times and I then said, "Read it backwards", he said, "9776.......... Oh shit, that's amazing, I can't believe that". It is an amazing thing when you think about it and demonstrates the proper of the mind to contradict your senses.

I've been listening to Bad Company a lot lately and it's hammered home the fact that solos really need a theme whereas mine are just a collection of random notes akin to a child that's learning to talk and just babbling away. I guess, like speech, music is just another language that needs to be nurtured to develop into something conversational.

Sorry to ramble on smile.gif

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE:

Another try, attempting to get to grips with the FULL scale in one position. I went to that old naughty 12th fret on the B string a couple of times but never mind wink.gif I didn't look at the scale generator once though wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBQXs6S20fs

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 14 2017, 03:07 AM
!!! SUNDAY SHRED CHALLENGE X-52 !!!

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredchallengex52

IMPORTANT: YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: VIDEO OPTIONAL : audio or video is fine.

DOWNLOAD BACKING: Attached File  LastofSummer.mp3 ( 2.36MB ) Number of downloads: 48

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/last-of-summer-challenge-51-g-major

KEY: G# Major

SCALES TO USE:

G# Major
Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible . To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)

1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a audio or video performance of your solo. Best to use soundcloud for audio and youtube for video. EMBED the audio or video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.
2.)Who can participate?: ANYONE!!
3.)What do I get? Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 14 2017, 07:17 AM
I'm a bit slow on the uptake unsure.gif laugh.gif

After learning that minor scale for the last one, I suddenly noticed that the scale shape for this major one is the same. I put F minor into the scale generator and it's the same notes. I guess to keep the flavour of major or minor you need to spend time on the 1st 3rd and 5th? Or am I way off?

Funny that I noticed that, because I remember that the white keys on a piano are C major and A minor, the penny never dropped with scale shapes on a guitar until I saw this. I guess I need to spend more time looking at scales.

I was never a slow learner at school but music theory seems to be hard for me to get in my head.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 14 2017, 09:46 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 14 2017, 04:35 PM
The Major and Minor scales are both connected in a way all the way up and down the neck. It's just that the root notes vary. However, you can use the minor shape inside of working in a major key, you just have to pick different root notes. So you'll notice the F Minor scale right behind the G#Major. The important thing is to land on G# (the root) to resolve any given lick. Let me know if that makes sense smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 14 2017, 04:45 PM
Makes perfect sense Todd,

Sometimes, when something clicks in your head you kick yourself wondering why you never got it before. I was thinking there would be a different scale shape for the major and minor when there isn't. Well, I suppose there is if you only take the notes from root to root but there isn't really if you take all the notes.. If you know what I mean?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 14 2017, 09:02 PM
First take. Tricky backing, I could only think of melody really. Kinda sitting on a hillside by a babbling brook kinda vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K-0DJo9hd8

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2017, 08:58 PM
Nicely done!!! This backing is particularly challenging as all the guitars in the background are playing in slightly different timings. So it makes it feel like you are standing on quicksand when trying to solo over it sometimes. I like your approach here where you are just adding to the existing melody using a clean tone. It fits in perfectly and provides a missing melody through line which is exactly what I was hoping for honestly smile.gif I had written one and yanked it out of this track on purpose to leave a place for it.

You are spot on with your scales and roots here and I ddin't hear a single bad note. I'm very glad that the entire "connected scales" thing is starting to make sense smile.gif It's a LIGHTBULB going off type moment every player gets to and it's a very important step. To realize that scales are connected as shapes all the way up the neck and that the root notes can change but you can still play the same shapes, is critical imho.

Once you see how these patterns connect you will find yourself creating longer scale runs across many frets and traveling up the neck and back down at will. Good to see you heading down the right path smile.gif

In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 14 2017, 04:02 PM) *
First take. Tricky backing, I could only think of melody really. Kinda sitting on a hillside by a babbling brook kinda vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K-0DJo9hd8

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 16 2017, 09:17 PM
Thanks Todd,

I feel the dynamics really need to improve on this one but clean is hard and I'm not all that good with compression, especially the ones built into the Helix. I might try again and connect my Keeley Compressor Pro up set to auto attack and release. It's a nice little pedal smile.gif

Thanks again

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

42 Pages V  « < 36 37 38 39 40 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:39 PM