New Guy, Amp Help, Need new amp, overwhelmed by choices
Noah B
May 31 2013, 12:26 AM
GMC:er
I have searched the post looking for the answer to" what amp do I get". the best answers to that seem to be the ones not made anymore like the avt50. I am a newbie, like the 80's-90's rock, Van Halen, Boston, Def Lep kind of sounds. The set up I have now is a Rogue sc80r and a boss me70 multi petal. Some days everything sounds ok and someday's it sounds like a cheep car speakers. If I can not find used, what are they making new that I could not go wrong with. looking to keep it under $1200usd. I like it loud, widows to rattle, I don't think I will ever be good enough to play a gig. all suggestions welcome.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 31 2013, 01:08 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Noah B @ May 30 2013, 11:26 PM) *
I have searched the post looking for the answer to" what amp do I get". the best answers to that seem to be the ones not made anymore like the avt50. I am a newbie, like the 80's-90's rock, Van Halen, Boston, Def Lep kind of sounds. The set up I have now is a Rogue sc80r and a boss me70 multi petal. Some days everything sounds ok and someday's it sounds like a cheep car speakers. If I can not find used, what are they making new that I could not go wrong with. looking to keep it under $1200usd. I like it loud, widows to rattle, I don't think I will ever be good enough to play a gig. all suggestions welcome.

hey man you should check out blackstar they sound great ive played a few of them and i own a ht-5 to move around for practice, i played a ht 60 and there is plenty of gain and it sounds great clean or dirty. price is very good. its got effects loop mp3 input,, headphone out for silent jaming wich really comes in handy! if i didnt have a couple amps already id buy this.heres a link check it out
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HTSTAGE60C/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by dcz702: May 31 2013, 01:12 AM

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
May 31 2013, 03:13 AM
Hmm, few routes to go.

Combos;
Peavey 6505+
Vox VT Series
Blackstar HT Series
Orange Tiny Terror

Head/Cabinet; (with a 2x12 cab)
Orange Tiny Terror Combos
Mesa Boogie Mini Recto
Egnater Renegade
Peavey 6505+
Peavey JSX

Weird route, multi-effect/FRFR
Something like a POD HD500, Eleven Rack, Boss GT-100, ECT.
Then something like an Alto TS-115A

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Noah B
May 31 2013, 03:34 AM
Thanks guy's, I am gonna go try the Blackstar htstage60c and Peavey 6505 out and see which one speaks to me. Really - thanks, there are so many options out there the room was starting to spin, I had no idea where to start and the Rogue was not doing it for me.

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
May 31 2013, 03:58 AM
It sounds like what you want is a hotrodded Marshall sort of sound. There are a couple of routes you can go:

Marshall - Marshall's own hotrod is the JVM, or you can go the old school way and find a JCM800 and boost/hotrod it.

Splawn Amps - most of the range are hotrodded Marshall flavours, which can cover Plexi/JCM/Hotrod/Super Hotrod gain ranges. Just find one that fits your price range and channel switching needs (or lack of).

Blackstar - again, many hotrodded Marshall flavours, but to be honest, most of the mid-range Blackstar stuff that I've played hasn't really been to my taste.

Laney - an old AOR series head/combo is very much like a JCM800, and if you pick one up for cheap, it'll be one of the more cost effective solutions.

Mesa - the Electradyne was touted as their answer to Marshall-style amps. It's a great sounding amp, much more straightforward than many Mesa amps, but it hasn't been selling that well worldwide so you may be able to get a cheap price on a dealer close-out sale somewhere.

Hope that helps a little!

This post has been edited by SixStringSamurai: May 31 2013, 03:58 AM

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
deeaa
May 31 2013, 06:30 AM
JCM 800 50W is likely the sound you want, but caveat emptor, it's a LOUD amp indeed, simply cannot be played at reasonable levels.
As mentioned JVM is the Marshall hotrod and an incredibly versatile amp - and it has the same power section as 800 and one channel that's almost identical (just no diodes like on later JCM's, all tube)...but IMO its sounds are modernized so that stock it sounds too compressed, tight and cold. It's really easy to modify it to JCM specs though, that's what I did to mine and I love it.

Both rather expensive options. Sadly Laboga Caimans don't seem to be readily available any more, I seriously loved those amps. Personally, I also really really like the H&K Tubemeister series of amps, they sound awesome and I'm a marshall sound guy thru and thru.

Going the SS route, Tech-21 TM-30 and 120 both yield incredible Marshall tones for SS amps as well.

Lots of options out there. If I could not have my JVM, I'd hunt for a Caiman and then a Tubemeister first for classic drive tones.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 31 2013, 07:13 AM
Some great suggestions so far smile.gif Blackstar and Peavey both make some really LOUD MEAN gear. The models you are going after should more than fit the bill. You may want to add an overdrive pedal for clean boosting of your gain/dirty signal so that you can get full terror at low volume. Otherwise, those amps sound best when they are loud enough to peel paint off the walls.

Todd

QUOTE (Noah B @ May 30 2013, 10:34 PM) *
Thanks guy's, I am gonna go try the Blackstar htstage60c and Peavey 6505 out and see which one speaks to me. Really - thanks, there are so many options out there the room was starting to spin, I had no idea where to start and the Rogue was not doing it for me.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 31 2013, 09:27 AM
Instructor
Good suggestions and decision mate - I was ready to ask about your budget, but I noticed that was already taken care of wink.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 31 2013, 10:05 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SixStringSamurai @ May 31 2013, 02:58 AM) *
It sounds like what you want is a hotrodded Marshall sort of sound. There are a couple of routes you can go:

Marshall - Marshall's own hotrod is the JVM, or you can go the old school way and find a JCM800 and boost/hotrod it.

Splawn Amps - most of the range are hotrodded Marshall flavours, which can cover Plexi/JCM/Hotrod/Super Hotrod gain ranges. Just find one that fits your price range and channel switching needs (or lack of).

Blackstar - again, many hotrodded Marshall flavours, but to be honest, most of the mid-range Blackstar stuff that I've played hasn't really been to my taste.

Laney - an old AOR series head/combo is very much like a JCM800, and if you pick one up for cheap, it'll be one of the more cost effective solutions.

Mesa - the Electradyne was touted as their answer to Marshall-style amps. It's a great sounding amp, much more straightforward than many Mesa amps, but it hasn't been selling that well worldwide so you may be able to get a cheap price on a dealer close-out sale somewhere.

Hope that helps a little!

I would with You smile.gif Most of mentioned referance artists seems to base on Marshall type of tone. Eddie was playing plexi before the "peavey thing" smile.gif Much depends of how cruel You want to be for Yourself cause new 6505 is giving the kick even if You play softly...I think it's not a good reference amp to learn how to play on...

But...If You like amps that make everything come easy than go for it smile.gif)))

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 31 2013, 03:41 PM
Instructor
Hi & welcome! You already receive many different suggestions. Each amp has its own personality so you could check some tests at youtube and then go to try by yourself the ones that you like more. It's very important to try it before buying to be sure that you like what you'll get.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 1 2013, 09:28 AM
Instructor
I second Gabe's suggestion with the testing wink.gif And on top of that, take your guitar along because you will want to hear how YOUR axe works in combination with the amp. Maybe even grab your favorite pedals? Or better yet, if you plan on buying some, try them along with the amp and the axe! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Britishampfan
Jun 1 2013, 07:58 PM
If I am looking for an amp it is a very long process, Impulsive buys have never been favorable for me, the guys have great advice.

I play and test and test and test I play many different amps it is such a personal thing. I listen to an amp clean and loud, the salesman always wants to show you the distortion first, I wanna hear that too but a good natural ballsy clean sound is my starting point.

It is good if you can A/B amps sometimes an amp sounds good compared to what? Music is a social thing for me, I get together with musician friends and we test stuff and jam.

Only you know what you like.

Sometimes it is good what amps are better for certain styles of play, If you play country maybe a high gain Engl might not work for you.

This post has been edited by Britishampfan: Jun 1 2013, 08:02 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:49 AM