Andy Mckee - Drifting- Advice
leonard478
Mar 12 2013, 06:42 AM
Learning Rock Star
Greetings my fellow guitar players, so i've learned this tune front to back, and on March 30th i will be performing it publicly, there are 3 or 4 parts in it that i just cant seem to perfect, Whats the way to go about perfecting such a difficult tune?

Ive tried isolating the parts over and over, slowing them down, etc, but the entire thing just doesnt seem to flow/click

thank you!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 12 2013, 10:14 AM
Instructor
Mate, I am a total stranger to Andy's technique - although I revere his mastery!

What I would do - I would try to see if I can sing (reproduce them with my voice) these parts and if I realized I could, it would mean, I have them in my system. Have you tried that? Also, how relaxed and able to anticipate all the parts and moves are you, when performing? Try performing in front of friends a few times before the show smile.gif Hope this helps man smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 12 2013, 12:04 PM
Instructor
Another thing that I do when I'm working on a difficult piece is to take the most difficult parts and create variations as exercises to master that part. I isolate it, analyse what makes that part difficult and create or search for exercise to work on it. This exercises are usually played as a loop with metronome.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
leonard478
Mar 12 2013, 11:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks to both of you guys! i will try both of these ways! The singing along actually helps keep the flow very well! smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 12 2013, 11:04 AM) *
Another thing that I do when I'm working on a difficult piece is to take the most difficult parts and create variations as exercises to master that part. I isolate it, analyse what makes that part difficult and create or search for exercise to work on it. This exercises are usually played as a loop with metronome.

+Quote Post
BTrian
Mar 13 2013, 04:22 AM
Learning Roadie
I did this one a while ago,
don't have much more to add in case of general practice.
how did you learn it? (by ear, official tab, instructional vid)
and which parts don't flow that well yet?

for me the main problem on that song was precision on the technique itself.
you need quite some strength on the hammer ons and put them right in place to get the best sound and minimize the sound from the rest of the string.
also be sure to be aware of what both hands are doing at any time, I often ended up concentrating too much on one hand and the other one ended up only barely hitting the fret without being noticed, you still get the right notes but it sounds way less half-assed if everything is as clean as possible.

to get comfortable with that kind of stuff it might also help to practice some bits of other songs that use the whole over the neck tapping thing like e.g. the main part of that song or just build up some licks to practice on your own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oVzB0zRBU0
it's a bit faster than drifting but the main lick is actually quite simple when you get into it and helped much to build up endurance on tapping.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 13 2013, 08:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (leonard478 @ Mar 12 2013, 10:36 PM) *
Thanks to both of you guys! i will try both of these ways! The singing along actually helps keep the flow very well! smile.gif

Glad it helps man - I am REALLY looking forward to see a video with this incredible piece performed by you smile.gif

+Quote Post
leonard478
Mar 13 2013, 08:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 13 2013, 07:45 AM) *
Glad it helps man - I am REALLY looking forward to see a video with this incredible piece performed by you smile.gif

Thanks man! video will be up in 2 weeks guaranteed smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 13 2013, 08:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (leonard478 @ Mar 13 2013, 07:19 PM) *
Thanks man! video will be up in 2 weeks guaranteed smile.gif

Pure awesomeness! What sort of an acoustic guitar are you wielding man?

+Quote Post
myhandyman
Mar 14 2013, 03:16 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 12 2013, 11:04 AM) *

I understand what you are saying and it does work for me too. I try to keep it interesting and fun so as to relax and it isn't frustrating , eventually it all plays out well. Also, if it is such a hard lick, I put it aside and fudge it as you say, until it all falls in place. I have yet to try any Any Mckee.. besides, who am I going to jam with playing that stuff? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 15 2013, 01:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (myhandyman @ Mar 13 2013, 11:16 PM) *
I understand what you are saying and it does work for me too. I try to keep it interesting and fun so as to relax and it isn't frustrating , eventually it all plays out well. Also, if it is such a hard lick, I put it aside and fudge it as you say, until it all falls in place. I have yet to try any Any Mckee.. besides, who am I going to jam with playing that stuff? laugh.gif

Andy's playing is so unique so it's really interesting to analyse it and to incorporate some ideas into you own style. Keep going! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 19 2013, 04:23 PM
Instructor
I was attempting to play this song also...cause of this unique combination of style, phrasing and technique. First thing I found was the trouble to hold the guitar in stable position while doing all the percussive hit. I came with idea that You could see closer to this issue. I had similar problems with getting all the parts done in 100% but I found that mentioned reason of flaws was the main problem. Waiting for Your video ! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Mar 19 2013, 04:26 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:09 PM