Website? Blog? Both? New Project (kris Inspired), A project everyone can participate in and benefit from, for free
Mudbone
Apr 11 2011, 08:42 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Theres this project I've been working on for a while, and now I would like to share it with the world.. well not just yet wink.gif I would like to get it up and running before I announce exactly what it is. But I can assure you everyone that participates in it will benefit from it.

So heres what I need: I need a blog for articles I will write, and hopefully articles other people will contribute, and I need a forum for people to participate and communicate. The forum will be for people helping other people so its an essential part of the project.

So does anybody have any experience with websites and blogs/blogging? Should I do a website or a blog?

I know I'm being super vague right now but I will reveal the project in due time, and I'm sure many of you will want to participate. It will cost you nothing and you will benefit from it, and more importantly, your contributions, no matter how insignificant they may seem, will help other people.

Theres a few GMC members that I'm sure will be interested in it, namely Gitarerro, maharzan, Todd Simpson, and quite possibly the supreme overlord Kris tongue.gif (in fact its partly inspired by Kris), so be expecting a pm from me sometime within the next couple of months wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
quadrium
Apr 11 2011, 09:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
If you want both forum and blog, i suggest you to make a normal website and add those features into it. If you want i can help you with that. I have some experience about webmastering, not too much but i know how to do these kind of stuff. So if you need some consult i will be glad to help smile.gif

Dogukan,

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Apr 11 2011, 09:24 PM
QUOTE (quadrium @ Apr 11 2011, 04:00 PM) *
If you want both forum and blog, i suggest you to make a normal website and add those features into it. If you want i can help you with that. I have some experience about webmastering, not too much but i know how to do these kind of stuff. So if you need some consult i will be glad to help smile.gif

Dogukan,

Thanks Dogukan, much appreciated biggrin.gif I'll be contacting you sometime in the near future.

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
quadrium
Apr 11 2011, 09:34 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Apr 11 2011, 08:24 PM) *
Thanks Dogukan, much appreciated biggrin.gif I'll be contacting you sometime in the near future.

Sure thing smile.gif

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 11 2011, 10:38 PM
GMC:er
One thing to keep in mind is that folks are more likely to sign up and use it if it's easy so try to use something like OPEN ID so that people can login with a user ID that they already have. That way it's not another user id and password to remember, and the sign up process is instant.

Also, you'll have to have a reason for the site/forum. Something that it provides which isn't provided by other sites/blogs, such as this one. This is a tall order but crucial in order to drive enough traffic to make it worth while. If it's more of a personal blog, a space to share your thoughts, all of this is far less critical. If however, it's meant to be the type of place folks specifically visit, repeatedly, it's gotta have something unique in terms of content.

Also, don't forget to tie it to all of your other social media, myspace, facebook, etc. You can use your personal accounts on those but they will bleed in to the identity of this new site. Which is fine if your OK with that. If not, you'll need to make all new accounts just for promoting/sharing this site.

Lastly, join hootsuite.com

it will let you post to all of your social media at once. It's a HUGE time saver.

Very best of luck with this. I transitioned out of having my own site/blog and really just have my youtube channel as it's where all the traffic was going anyway. I couldn't justifiy the time for a site and or blog.

That said, best of luck and I"d be happy to contribute!

Todd

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 12 2011, 01:00 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I'll participate if it's anything along the lines of science, music, art, literature, or history. I have done admin and mod work on five or six sites. As for helping people, well I have spent the better part of 2 years now figuring out the cheapest way to make the best possible recordings, so if it involves anything like that I have some insightful knowledge.

All depends on what this mysterious thing is though.... ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Apr 12 2011, 03:52 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 11 2011, 05:38 PM) *
Also, you'll have to have a reason for the site/forum. Something that it provides which isn't provided by other sites/blogs, such as this one. This is a tall order but crucial in order to drive enough traffic to make it worth while. If it's more of a personal blog, a space to share your thoughts, all of this is far less critical. If however, it's meant to be the type of place folks specifically visit, repeatedly, it's gotta have something unique in terms of content.

Thanks for your input Todd, it has been very helpful. The site isn't going to be about me, despite how charming I am tongue.gif Its going to be about everyone that participates in it. The site is somewhat of a novel idea, its main purpose is to inspire, to encourage, and to motivate. Its also to fill a void that I believe exists in our collective knowledge. Well the knowledge exists, it just hasn't been centralized, and thats what I would like for this site to do. It won't detract from GMC, on the contrary, it has the potential to boost this site. Its gonna be about an art form we all use but don't really think about too much, even though I think its the most important when it comes to guitar or anything.

I started writing about it a while ago to describe exactly what it is, with the intention of posting it on here, but it turned out to be very, very long, way too long for a forum post. So I'm going to set up the site, then let you all in on it. I hope I'm not making out to seem more grandiose than it actually is. Its gonna have a very humble start I can assure you of that lool, but hopefully with all of you guy's contributions it will blossom into something that everyone can benefit from, guitarists and non-guitarist alike.

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Apr 11 2011, 08:00 PM) *
I'll participate if it's anything along the lines of science, music, art, literature, or history. I have done admin and mod work on five or six sites. As for helping people, well I have spent the better part of 2 years now figuring out the cheapest way to make the best possible recordings, so if it involves anything like that I have some insightful knowledge.

All depends on what this mysterious thing is though.... ph34r.gif

Your assistance will be of great service and much appreciated. It has mostly to do with music and science, its kinda those two intertwined. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if some professors would want to participate somewhere down the line biggrin.gif But actually its not going to be limited to music alone, it can be applied to anything. I'm really gonna need some help getting this thing rolling, especially with ideas and participation.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Apr 12 2011, 07:19 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Mudbone,
I'm pretty sure you guessed right, I am very interested and will participate. Unfortnately, I don't have a clue about website programming at all... sad.gif So I can't help you here.
Not sure about the blog-or-forum question either. Personally, I prefer a forum, but a blog could be more up-to-date, especially if you as a webmaster are going to post some longer articles (which would be too long for a forum). But I guess it all comes down to personal taste.
Once again, I am very interested in your project...am I guessing right that it will also contain a certain amount of psychology and personal development related things?

Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 12 2011, 11:45 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Music and Science, my two most passionate interests. You sir, have intrigued a musical scientist.

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 13 2011, 09:04 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Sounds interesting and misterious smile.gif

Maybe our GMC wiki could help too? Or is it something completely unrelated?

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Apr 14 2011, 04:53 AM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Apr 12 2011, 02:19 AM) *
am I guessing right that it will also contain a certain amount of psychology and personal development related things?

Christian

Pardon the American expression, but you're in the ballpark biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Fran @ Apr 13 2011, 04:04 AM) *
Sounds interesting and misterious smile.gif

Maybe our GMC wiki could help too? Or is it something completely unrelated?

It could potentially be worked into it, we'll see wink.gif I'll try to unveil it sometime this week, I've just been caught up with exams, and didn't want to cut into guitar time.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:25 AM