Andy James - Full Shred Ahead?
SirJamsalot
Jul 3 2010, 04:20 AM
Learning Rock Star
Has anyone purchased / used the Andy James Learn Shred Guitar in 6 Weeks DVD set over there at Lick Library? (I hope I'm not getting myself in trouble by referencing that site here biggrin.gif).

http://www.licklibrary.com/store/andy-jame...ek-16-6-dvd-set

Curious if anyone has a review to share on whether it's any more/less worth it than any other DVD on the market.

Thanks,
Christian A.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jul 3 2010, 04:30 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Anything Andy James does is worth buying.......that dude is a BEAST. I have a few of his DVD's....although not this one......and the DVD's are AWESOME!!!! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 3 2010, 05:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jul 2 2010, 08:30 PM) *
Anything Andy James does is worth buying.......that dude is a BEAST. I have a few of his DVD's....although not this one......and the DVD's are AWESOME!!!! smile.gif

groovin, thanks for the heads up

--------------------

+Quote Post
zen
Jul 3 2010, 05:17 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I have almost everything that he has ever come out with. It's great and fast paced. But i still play slow which is a reflection of me not putting enough time. And also goes to prove that we can buy the BEST instructional dvd out there but it aint' gonna do squat if we dont put in the time to practice it/ drill it. I cant play 80% of the stuff in them. If one is practical then I believe there is plenty of material already available which is enough to practice/ study. But if one wants to invest in the wow factor of merely 'watching' and maybe pickin up a few very expensive (most probably already heard) tips OR is VERY serious to develop a plan on how to study from these DVD's and sticking to it, no matter what ... then go for it smile.gif ... Sadly, most people watch instructional vids as a documentary nowdays.

I buy his dvd's more so coz im a fan. Danny Gill is a better teacher. I recommend his DVD's too.

p.s - Your subject heading 'full shred ahead' is his web lesson series which is different to this dvd set.

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jul 3 2010, 05:45 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
All Andy's play awesome.. so to get awesomeness, change your names to Andy. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 3 2010, 05:52 AM
Learning Rock Star
haha. wrong title, and o.k.
Christian "Andy" biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 3 2010, 08:28 AM
GMC:er
I was actually came across this not so long ago, looked very interesting DVD Set and actually helpfully laid out step-by-step. I might get it and start learn shreding heh smile.gif

Let me know if it's good and what kind of level of playing required!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 3 2010, 08:28 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 3 2010, 08:34 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Jul 3 2010, 12:28 AM) *
I was actually came across this not so long ago, looked very interesting DVD Set and actually helpfully laid out step-by-step. I might get it and start learn shreding heh smile.gif

Let me know if it's good and what kind of level of playing required!

I purchased week 5 of the set but will take a week to get... I'll let you know what I think of it when I get a chance to watch.

Christian A.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 13 2010, 08:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
Just a followup - I recieved the DVD yesterday and watched it. Frankly, it's just another instructional DVD - the series, in my estimation, is geared towards leading you thru all the modes, both pentatonic and scales, then the instructor gives a demo of how they can be played (stepping you thru the licks he applies) to a backing track.

In the DVD I got, he gives 4 licks at the end of the DVD used by Yngvie. The other DVDs do the same thing, I believe, except using another artist like Paul Gilbert licks, etc.

Andy burns thru each lesson, quickly - I think what is expected is that you have to rely on rewinding because he's just trying to cover everything quickly - if you miss something - rewind.

Another thing, every note he shows in a lick, he says "Letter string, Fret number", so if he shows a lick consisting of 15 notes, expect to hear him say (very quickly), "A String, 10th fret", "A string 12th fret", then down to "G String 10th fret", etc. for the whole lick. Which is fine, but having to listen to him say that for every note gets really monotonous and difficult to hear the note he is actually playing. I found it irritating.

I won't be getting any of the other DVDs as I think anything you would want to learn is readily available on this site. The only up-side to the series is getting to watch Andy shred - he really is amazingly fast, but he has a really awkward playing style IMO. He uses his first three fingers for all 3 note per string scales and for his pentatonic runs, using his little finger only on some transitions where I think he has no choice because of the distance of a transitional note. The backing tracks he uses for his real-time examples is blazing fast, so it's definitely not for beginners if you're trying to play along, but the subject matter itself is for 1st and 2nd year students.

At one point he actually said, "so you probably won't be able to play this fast, but if you practice it slowly, you'll get faster over time and then be able to play it...". Whatever, lol.

Ok, so I hope this helps - in summary - everything you need to learn is on this site - it's just not clear where to find it all unless you already know what you're searching for. Personally, had I seen this DVD, I wouldn't have purchased it. But it is fun watch Andy play.

Christian A.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 13 2010, 10:49 PM
GMC:er
Well honestly it looked quite advance for me so I looked at 'Lick Library - Danny Gill's Rock Guitar In 6 Weeks' instead, which seems the same type of idea, except the basic. Also spread across 6 DVDs.

I would say so far it's simple but good, it really starts off with the basic but explains things and build on them clearly. Danny Gill is a good instructor who slows down and explains (rather than an awesome speedy guitarist who inspires a lot but doesn't explain). Rather than a wow factor, it gives you a good grounding.

Learning the licks like Slash along with the theory and scales which created it is a good way for me to understand.

Another thing, every note he shows in a lick, he says "Letter string, Fret number", so if he shows a lick consisting of 15 notes, expect to hear him say (very quickly), "A String, 10th fret", "A string 12th fret", then down to "G String 10th fret", etc. for the whole lick. Which is fine, but having to listen to him say that for every note gets really monotonous and difficult to hear the note he is actually playing. I found it irritating.

I agree, these DVDs have the same issue, you have to follow the DVD carefully and pause it a lot to follow, but he does also recap some of it. It really need a tab book to go with it!

Lick Library - Danny Gill's Rock Guitar In 6 Weeks (not the shred one)
Rate: 7.5/10 (great for beginner/immediate rock guitarist and improving advance guitarist which want to relearn the basics)

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 13 2010, 11:52 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jul 14 2010, 04:37 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Yes, all these DVDs are just inspirational / motivational stuff. I have seen so many videos in YouTube and DVDs and I think its just a way to make some money for these best guitar players. smile.gif Most people will look at it once or twice then stack it in the shelf. I did the same. The best teacher I have found till date is Paul Gilbert and I watch his videos on YouTube very often than any others.

So, my point is all these videos really lacks what you are looking for as a beginner or intermediate player. These guys just seem to shred and make you feel "you really can't do it". These DVDs hide the fact that they practiced 16 hours a day for years and got to that level. We just want to get to that level fast and we don't really devote time for that. We think following the DVD fully should get us to that level as well and then demotivation and other factors come into play.

GMC worked best for me because I watched Kris's sloppy playing and the fact that he actually was convincing every beginner player like me that I could do it if I practiced hard. He kept on saying in his videos that you gotta practice it this way and you are probably play it this way in the beginning, etc.. just like I used to do. And of course he was funny as well. smile.gif

So, bottom line is instructors really need to focus on grasping the interest of the learners than grabbing the money. biggrin.gif And I hate videos that say, here is slow (and he is shredding).. and a little fast and he is striking lighting fast. biggrin.gif But probably thats what they can do in that short amount of time for the video.

Anyway, the bottom line is its all gonna depend on how much time you can put in practicing. DVDs might help you boost your motivation but unless you practice, nothings gonna change. GMC or any other site has already tonnes of learning materials. You just have to dedicate yourself into guitar playing. smile.gif

Just my thought on DVDs. smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jul 14 2010, 04:32 PM
Jazz Instructor
Oh, I watched quite a lot Andey James instructionals, besides of being great musician he is very good instructor, you can't go wrong with Andy...

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Jul 14 2010, 05:00 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
I just watched this guy on youtube and he shreds mean. Is that an LTD he's playing?

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jul 14 2010, 05:28 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Zsolt Galambos @ Jul 14 2010, 05:00 PM) *
I just watched this guy on youtube and he shreds mean. Is that an LTD he's playing?

Just like your I think Zsolt.....except black. I think he is getting a signature model but I could be wrong.....and probably am..... laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:52 PM