Getting Faster Without Metronome
slash85
Nov 29 2007, 11:25 AM
GMC:er
gday pavel,

hey mate im just wonderin right............i dont practice with a metronome well very rarely only the real fast repetive licks that are even like all sixteenth notes or whatever...............but mainly play slash type stuff which some has a great deal of fast stuff.............now since i have been playing i have noticed that i am picking up speed by just playing the fast stuff my guitar hero slash plays.....and never using a metronome unless stated above...i also dont do any speed picking exercises or anything like that....i have been playing for about 1 year and nine months now and i can play fast passages like the sweet child o mine solo....i havent quite nailed it but am getting real close and others like the nightrain outro solo and stuff.....but my question is.............will me building speed by playing the fast passages of others build my overall speed or just for that type of solo or lick.........like i have noticed that when i tried the she builds quick machines solo by velvet revolver i was almost able to play the solo up to speed in a few days.......... so i think it could work but id like to get yur opinion about it coz yur a speed warrior tongue.gif

all in all i kinda wanna learn guitar my own way......im not interested in doing exercises or practising with metronomes or anything like that i notice a lot of people are so concerned about sweeping and doin everything by the rules........i guess i dont care much for the rules they r there to broken i say and i know that even slash plays stuff that he feels and isnt worried so much about the theory or the rules of guitar.....his feelings are his rules and thats how i wanna be too i think that it comes from the soul..........so what do ya reckon....is it possible to build overall speed by playing fast solos from certain songs

cheers mate wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
DEFENDER OF THE FAITH \m/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 29 2007, 12:08 PM
Instructor
Well, first of all - i am not a theory guy myself so i won't talk about theory as i don't use it myself.

As for speed - if you are happy with the stuff Slash and alike play, which is pretty simple, and you don't want to be a shredder than you should not even care about metronome. As for me, i want to be able to play stuff like Angelo and Cooley do, and that stuff is way more difficult so if you want to play that - you'll have to play exercises. It depends on what your goals are.

If your goals are to just bang the guitar and have fun at home than go ahead and have fun with solos from other bands.

If you want to be a professional guitarist that that's not gonna work.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
slash85
Dec 2 2007, 07:18 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 29 2007, 09:08 PM) *
Well, first of all - i am not a theory guy myself so i won't talk about theory as i don't use it myself.

As for speed - if you are happy with the stuff Slash and alike play, which is pretty simple, and you don't want to be a shredder than you should not even care about metronome. As for me, i want to be able to play stuff like Angelo and Cooley do, and that stuff is way more difficult so if you want to play that - you'll have to play exercises. It depends on what your goals are.

If your goals are to just bang the guitar and have fun at home than go ahead and have fun with solos from other bands.

If you want to be a professional guitarist that that's not gonna work.

cheers for the advice pavel much appreciated wink.gif ........and also ive seen some of yur work on the site and in my opinion i think u already play as fast as angelo and the other shredders

--------------------
DEFENDER OF THE FAITH \m/

+Quote Post
Iconoclast
Dec 2 2007, 07:33 AM
In my opinion, the best guitarists are the ones who can apply both their emotion and soul, and their technique and practice to the music ala Buckethead.

And don't think that Slash doesn't know theory. Just because he looks all rocker, and his music is very emotional, doesn't mean he doesn't know theory. This is coming from a huge Slash fan, by the way.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Dec 2 2007, 12:09 PM
I'm sorry for (kind of) highjacking this thread, but I've got a similar question. I only practice excercises with the metronome, but when I try to play solos and stuff, I never use it. Is that a super bad habit, or will I be able to get away with it since I don't want to be as fast as Angelo or Cooley? (but I still want to be able to play quite fast, even though I don't like shredding I think that it's important to choose not to shred instead of being foced to not do it because of ones technique..)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 2 2007, 02:53 PM
Instructor
It's always good to have a good technique. Don't worry, you're not hijacking anything. it's great that you practice with metronome. Even if it is not that obvious - it really improves your inner ear for the rhythm. So you might not even notice it but you will play better, even if you are soloing over somebody's song. It's would be pretty strange to play a solo over a metronome and backing track together biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

You're doing a good job man, keep it that way.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Dec 2 2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks man, great to hear it from you, I really appreciate it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Dec 4 2007, 12:10 AM
OK, now I'm gonna hi-jack the thread, since this was mentioned and I don't want to start a new thread tongue.gif

Here's my question: I am learning scales so as to be able to improvise, but do you think that it's actually necessary to learn the more difficult stuff to be able to? Can I just stick with scales, modes, and memorizing fretboard and be able to make it. The less time I can spend reading some cryptic theory, and the more I can spend playing, the happier I will be. But I just want to make sure before I shoot myself in the foot.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 4 2007, 08:16 AM
Instructor
Hahahaha you don't have to shoot yourself in the foot biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I mentioned it a thousand times and will again: i never learned theory and it doesn't make my improvisation harder at all. Better spend your time playing and getting to know fretboard wink.gif

Andrew is gonna kill me but i proved loads of times that theory is not that important wink.gif All of my lessons are based on improvisation as when i write them just sit and play.

Have fun man and ask more if you need something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Dec 4 2007, 11:13 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Dec 4 2007, 01:16 AM) *
Andrew is gonna kill me but i proved loads of times that theory is not that important wink.gif All of my lessons are based on improvisation as when i write them just sit and play.

Yeah, your gonna wake up one day and you wont be able to access GMC biggrin.gif

So, do you even think that it's neccessary to learn scales?

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 5 2007, 12:27 AM
Moderation Policy Director
You'll learn one day smile.gif

Actually, everyone is different - a lot of theory is explaining things you did already so it can be a bit of a cheat. On the other hand, if you learn some theory it can take you off in completely different directions, so its your choice, it can also save you rediscovering stuff others have already worked out, and its also essential for a well rounded musician to be able to communicate with other musicians.

The way you are phrasing your questions it sounds like you don't have time for theory - that's fine, you can get a long way with just a little bit of theory - learning a few scales is probably a sensible minimum. Maybe one day you will be looking for inspiration and will take the time to learn some theory and it will add a new dimension to your playing, or maybe you will grasp it all intuitively and never need to formally learn it.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Dec 5 2007, 02:10 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I learn to play the guitar 15 years ago , you may think I should be an awesome guitarrist , but thats not the reallity. Of course I havent play every day for the last 15 years , I didn't play for 4 years, but thats not the point. The point is that I never worried for playing with a metronome and never worried about learning theory, Im not a theory fan either Im a practice dude, but since I joined GMC 3 months ago I've been playing with a metronome and Ive been studying theory(not a lot but at least something) and I can say that in this 3 months I've learnt more than I have in the past 3 years. So use the metrome , not using it is like trying to run faster without a chronograph, you'll never know if you have improved or not.

Thats my story.

Bye.

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 5 2007, 09:53 AM
Instructor
I learn scales but not in a "theory" way. I learn them applied to the fretboard, like patterns, boxes and sequences. But if somebody asks me what are the notes in "G phrygian major" scale i will have no problem "spelling" the scale.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:26 AM