New Telecaster Fan...
Spock
Apr 21 2013, 03:33 PM
GMC:er
So, I played my friends Telecaster yesterday. It's a 60th anniversary model. It was candy!!! I have not been this blown away by a guitar, I don't think ever. I wonder if all Teli's have that fast neck? Got to have one! I've never really been a fan of a stratocaster, so I just assumed the Telecaster was the same neck and feel - man was I wrong. No wonder James Root uses one.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Apr 21 2013, 05:41 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I never thought I 'd be a "Tele" guy myself. Well, I still haven't tried out a American Fender model but I did buy a Squier 50's Vibe tele a few month back. Authentic down to the pine wood they used for the bodies in the early days. I can't put it down! The characteristics from sound to feel are different from a Strat. Brutally honest cutting bridge sound and the neck is warm and smooth. Has that country "twang" that they are known for but can do a whole lot more ( awesome for rock, IMO). Fortunately for me, cause I can't play a lick of Country at all. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 21 2013, 05:55 PM
Indeed man, that guitar is all I can think about. How to get one!!!?

My friend put a Syemore Duncan HotRails pickup in the bridg - it is every bit a humbucker sound...

If I get one, I'd want it exactly like this, except I'd put a tremolo system on it.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Jouve
Apr 21 2013, 06:22 PM
Learning Roadie
I wouldn't put a humb in a tele bridge myself - no way happy.gif
But that's great to hear that you like teles! I'm saving to buy American vintage reissue for my 20th birthday wink.gif

This post has been edited by Jouve: Apr 21 2013, 06:22 PM

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 21 2013, 06:43 PM
That's a beautiful one too. I would want one like those, that natural wood grain color with a black pick guard.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 21 2013, 11:09 PM
Ha, ha ... you've crossed over to the other side.
Welcome friend.

In all seriousness there's a reason guitarists as diverse as Muddy Waters, Pete Townshend, Jim Root, Prince, Ted Greene, James Burton, Steve Cropper, Jeff Beck, Andy Summers, Jimmy Page, etc. ... favor Teles especially when recording.

I'd be willing to bet that 75% of all rock, pop and soul (and all the sub genres) records since the mid 50s have a Tele on them somewhere. And that 50% of those have a lot of Telecaster going on.

[attachment=31607:DSC00190.JPG]

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 21 2013, 11:13 PM

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 21 2013, 11:43 PM
No doubt, you can add John 5 to that list too.

My over-compulsive disorder has my obsession level at DEFCON 1. I've been looking at them off and on all day, just trying to figure out how to get the money for one.

You being a Tele fan, let me know, was that fast neck and thick frets on my friends just an anomaly, or is that what Tele's are all about?

I am itching to get to a music store to feel some others. I want to make sure that if I order one, i won't get a neck that doesn't feel like that one.

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 21 2013, 11:57 PM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 22 2013, 12:07 AM
Because the Tele (or tele style - broadcaster, nocaster, esqire, tele) is Fender's first real electric guitar, they come in all neck sizes and fret sizes. And many times even on the same models things can be different depending on where (USA, Mex, Asia) and what year they are/were manufactured. (Which is normal for Fender, even in the early days - parts v. year wise.)

The 60th anniversary model has a modern 'C' shaped (kinda big 50s style but not a baseball bat) neck with medium jumbo frets (Dunlop 6150 or 6105), 9.5'' radius fingerboard and 22 frets (rare for a Tele - they're usually 21 frets).
Find out exactly what your buddies specs are on his 60th anni model.

*I would try to play a bunch of them.
My best playing tele is a MIM 'classic 50s' style ... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fen...063?src=3WBZ4DS

*The 60th anni model has a more modern neck and fingerboard.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 22 2013, 12:16 AM

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 22 2013, 12:12 AM
Nice info - thank you!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 22 2013, 12:18 AM
No problem. I edited a little bit for some more specifics.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 22 2013, 12:18 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 22 2013, 02:24 AM
Instructor
When I was younger... i really disliked this guitar... nowadays it's on my wishing list... however I haven't tried a comfortable one for me, each of them had thick neck, but i didn't know what klasaine said about neck sizes. I have to try more of these ones. Talking about how tele looks, this one is my favorite, (but I didn't try it).

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 22 2013, 03:14 AM
For better or for worse Fender necks are and always have been 'all over the map' as we say here.
A lot of the 80s Japanese Teles have the wider, flatter necks and can be found for pretty good prices.
Squire 'classic vibe' Teles have pretty thin necks.
Also, you can always file down the back of the neck.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 22 2013, 03:16 AM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 22 2013, 06:46 AM
Learning Roadie
I love my American Std Tele, it was my 2nd electric guitar I ever bought and after the horrible Hohner Charvel copy.

The pickguard was painted by an ex girlfriend

I'm changing out the bridge for a 3 saddle soon, I've got Bare Knuckle Piledrivers that will give humbuckers a run for their money, but are still true single coils, so still have the Tele twang, It desperately needs a refret since I've been playing it since 1989.

Going to put a middle pickup in too.

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Apr 22 2013, 06:46 AM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 22 2013, 10:07 AM
For a modern take on a Tele - but still retaining Teleness - you can also check into G&L, Sadowski, Tyler and Suhr guitars.

+Quote Post
Jouve
Apr 22 2013, 03:24 PM
Learning Roadie
And if you like the body shape, but need humbuckers there is also Schecter PT.

This post has been edited by Jouve: Apr 22 2013, 03:25 PM

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Apr 22 2013, 07:11 PM
I have been tempted to buy a tele recently. I never really liked them at first but they are growing on me.I can definitely see myself buying one in the next couple of months. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 22 2013, 08:31 PM
I was wondering if Teles with the rosewood neck can have the same feel and action as the American Standard maple neck? I've been searching online and found some of the same model as my friend has but different colored neck?

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 22 2013, 08:41 PM
If the style, radius and fret size is all the same the feel of the neck will be negligibly different. Rosewood feels (and sounds) a little different than maple. The differences are subtle to nonexistent most of the time. With the medium jumbo frets you may not notice anything or you may even like the feel more.
What is fretboard wood on your other axes?

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 22 2013, 09:48 PM
I have a rosewood and maple PRS, and they feel relatively the same. I was wondering if for instance that particular Tele neck only came in Maple, and if I ordered one online that was Rosewood, if the cut or trim of the neck would be different. Yes, the actual feel of the wood would be no problem, my nervousness would be ordering the guitar and not getting that exact neck that I am so blown away by.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 22 2013, 11:27 PM
That I can't say for sure w/o seeing the exact specs for each model side by side.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:27 PM