My First 'real' Guitar - But I Need Advice!
Pavlov
Nov 7 2008, 04:20 PM
GMC:er
As some of you know, I only very recently started playing the guitar. The guitar I have now is a Squier Standard (Special edition, Black & Chrome), however, since I'm a rather short person and have short arms, I'm having some difficulty when an entire song's notes are on the lower, first couple of frets.

So I was wondering, what guitar would you recommend me? I have about a 5-600 euro budget (max, also wouldn't mind spending 400), but I'd like to have a guitar with a rather short neck. I was thinking about the fender Mustang or Jag-stang - while I heard it's quality is subpar, I like the looks and wouldn't mind modding it as I get better.

I also really like the Firebird models and, to a lesser extend, the Gibson SG. I have no idea about their neck length, however.

So I was wondering, could you perhaps recommend me a guitar? Other models are okay too. Some of you may raise an eyebrow over what I'm going to say next, but I'm real big on eye-candy too. One of the (many!) reasons I started playing the guitar, was because I want to justify starting a collection.

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Pavlov: Nov 7 2008, 04:21 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Chokehold
Nov 7 2008, 04:22 PM
I don't know much, but i love my SG

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser C-7, Epiphone SG, Some old fake Strat, and an acoustic of unknown brand.
Amp: Marshall MG 30DFX.

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Nov 7 2008, 05:46 PM
QUOTE (Chokehold @ Nov 7 2008, 04:22 PM) *
I don't know much, but i love my SG

Also, I know people look down on folk who buy stuff that's 'out of their league', but I'd like something that plays fantastic and will be great for at least a year or two, three to come.

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 7 2008, 05:56 PM
Epiphone g-400. Ive had it for.. 3 years ? And Ive gigged with it... practiced alot and stuff. It's a great guitar!!!!!!!!!! Plus higher frets are easily reached!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
jdriver
Nov 7 2008, 06:12 PM
QUOTE (Pavlov @ Nov 7 2008, 09:46 AM) *
Also, I know people look down on folk who buy stuff that's 'out of their league', but I'd like something that plays fantastic and will be great for at least a year or two, three to come.

Forget what other people think, get the best guitar you can get. You don't have to prove yourself or "work your way up" to something good. Get something that satisfies the needs you anticipate, not just what you need right now.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Nov 7 2008, 06:54 PM
Instructor
Jackson have some models where the distance of the frets are very short and the frets also are very flat....

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Nov 7 2008, 07:03 PM
QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Nov 7 2008, 06:54 PM) *
Jackson have some models where the distance of the frets are very short and the frets also are very flat....

But I was under the impression that Jackson models were mostly built for metal-ish genres?

I actually think I prefer Fenders, Gibsons, Epiphones and the other more mainstream guitar brands. Not that I doubt the quality of the other guitars, but it seems that where I live - in the Netherlands - those are much more wildly available and will make reselling less of a problem.

This post has been edited by Pavlov: Nov 7 2008, 07:06 PM

+Quote Post
ChrisVdS
Nov 7 2008, 07:04 PM
Jdriver is right try what seems best to you to learn to play and can serve a little longer for 400 euros you can choose from a decent range of guitars Ibanez has got some nice guitars for even less then 400 euros the SA 120 it's around 285 i think.
It might be the best to go to a music store and explain what you look in a guitar to the guy that sells them he or she will probably will get you a good deal wink.gif

This post has been edited by ChrisVdS: Nov 7 2008, 07:05 PM

--------------------
Gear:

Fender "California series" stratocaster
Roland Cube 20X
Peavey Envoy 110

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 7 2008, 08:12 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Gibson and Epiphones are a bit shorter than fenders. With your budget I'd recommend either a Epiphone SG or Les Paul, the G-400 plays quite good for the price, and you can always change the pups in the future.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Nov 7 2008, 08:14 PM
Im going to give my usual speech and recommend schecter guitars smile.gif check out their site. www.schecterguitars.com they are a joy to play and even nicer to look at smile.gif your looking for eye candy then here it is!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Nov 7 2008, 08:14 PM
Being short really shouldn't effect your guitar playing... I dunno if a new guitar would solve that problem but it would be nice to upgrade from the squire that's for sure..

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Nov 7 2008, 09:35 PM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Nov 7 2008, 08:14 PM) *
Im going to give my usual speech and recommend schecter guitars smile.gif check out their site. www.schecterguitars.com they are a joy to play and even nicer to look at smile.gif your looking for eye candy then here it is!

Wow! There are some really cool looking guitars there - thanks! I'll look into them, definitely.

Really loved the look of these;

http://media.schecterguitars.com/imgs/ultraIII_vwr.jpg

http://media.schecterguitars.com/imgs/holl...classic_stb.jpg

To those recommending the Epiphone SG - wouldn't it be a better idea to get the cheapest real SG? I've seen them go for 5-600 euro.

This one, for example.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=517222

I'd really love to own a (second hand?) Jag Stang or Mustang. If they were more widely available here, I'd have never even had to open this thread. They're amazing for being part of a collection alone. But since the chance of one becoming available in the Netherlands is near-nil, I opened this topic for some ideas. So far, I'm really glad I did. Noticing some guitars I never noticed!

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 7 2008, 09:42 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Pavlov @ Nov 7 2008, 09:35 PM) *
To those recommending the Epiphone SG - wouldn't it be a better idea to get the cheapest real SG? I've seen them go for 5-600 euro.

Yeah, definitely, the SG special/faded is a nice guitar for the price, but it was a bit more expensive than your initial budget. Go for it if you can!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 7 2008, 10:37 PM
Instructor
Epiphone SG model is what I would recommend mate, that guitar is very cool, and you can replace the pickups after a while, get some modern dimarzio ones and it will sing smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Nov 9 2008, 01:56 PM
I still haven't made a definitive decision, but I appreciate all the tips you guys gave me. I'm thinking about saving up and getting the real Gibson SG or hope I find a mustang/jagstang second hand somewhere. But I guess my Squier will do just fine for the next couple of months - gives me some time to save up.

In any case, thanks guys!

+Quote Post
berko
Nov 9 2008, 02:16 PM
That's really wise, Pavlov, take your time, test those guitars, meditate on it, test them again, try different techniques on them, different tones, look how they suit you etc. etc. u know what I mean.

It's really a ritual to buy a new and especially decent guitar, that's for sure...

otherwise I don't think a shorter scale guitar would do that much help. The "feel" of a guitar consists of many things: body, thickness of neck, weight, action and the height of bridge - so how it feels like in your hand. Other than only looking at the scale and other configuration datas, you should test them live - especially when investing a lot of money.

Personally i would advise Epiphones (either SG or Lp) or Schecters. If schecters are not that much available where you live, than head for ibanez.

cheers

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Power_Arctica
Nov 9 2008, 02:21 PM
Hi mate! Try the Washburn N Series, I got the Washburn N2. Washburn made the guitar under Nuno Bettencourts specifications. Nuno is a short guy so the guitar seems to be smaller than the others, the same happens with the neck.
Its a very light guitar, the neck is thin and fast, easy to play. You should try it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Nov 9 2008, 03:35 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
You should ccheck out Agile from Rondo music smile.gif

You get awesome guitars for the prize, and yes they're cheap smile.gif
I've tried a few, sounded and felt great!!!

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss8.html

That's page 8 from they're online shop, Agile guitars are featured on page 8, 9 and 10 smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Nov 14 2008, 11:07 AM
Sorry for reviving this topic, but I've narrowed my choices down to a few guitars that I'd really love to save up for,

Namely, the

Fender Mustang
Gibson SG Faded
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul

I realise two of them defy from the standard a bit, but I'd really like your opinion on these guitars. The 2008 issue of the Mustang is supposed to sound really good compared to its earlier editions. The Gibson SG Faded, while I know Gibson SGs are amazing, I do not know much about. And the Epiphone Les Paul is supposed to sound like... an Epiphone Les Paul.

But still, do any of you know how these guitars 'rank up'? Two things I'm looking for is relative versatility and ease of play.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 14 2008, 11:21 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Focusing on the reach, LP and SG both have tilted necks which makes the reach to the lower frets even shorter.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:57 AM