David Byrne: How Architecture Helped Music Evolve
SeeJay
May 24 2014, 05:39 AM
GMC:er
I play a few regular cover gigs. It has been a fun challenge to figure out how match a wide range of guitar tones with a minimal setup. I've got to cover anything from a clean, lush, chorusy Police vibe, to compressed 80s hair metal, to an american top petty style mid gain jangle.

It's fun to reimagine songs with different tones. I goof on it a lot at practice. It's cool to see how gear has shaped the sound of music. The Deluxe Memory Man gave the Edge a platform to create some great guitar riffs in U2. The Fuzz Face gave Hendrix the distorted tension he could use to make Purple Haze the anthem that it is.

One thing I never considered was the environment in which we play in dictating the music that was played in it.

There's a lot of great Ted Talks involving music. This is one of my favorites.

What are your experiences with this? Is there another TED Talk that you enjoy?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 24 2014, 10:13 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
David Byrne's book 'Como funciona la musica' (sorry I've got the Spanish version but it's probably called 'How music works' in English) is also worth a read.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 25 2014, 03:37 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ May 24 2014, 09:13 AM) *
David Byrne's book 'Como funciona la musica' (sorry I've got the Spanish version but it's probably called 'How music works' in English) is also worth a read.

I will check that out for sure.

his music to me is hit or miss. Lot of stuff I LOVE, a lot of stuff I don't care for. I dig his album with St. Vincent, but it's probably because I just really like her.

Even playing in a band and touring, you end up in many different types of venues. I saw a interview Daniel Lanois talking about he would play and in some venues people would ask him where his Firebird was and he would tell them it's too bright for that venue. Ever since then I've opened my ear to the environment I've played in and really noticed the difference. If you're in a small club with hardwood floors vs a large club with a carpeted but hollow stage, it's going to sound different. Which will make it feel different in a way. I think the best you can do is adjust as best you can, but try not to let it discourage you.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this topic?

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 25 2014, 04:19 PM
A lot of that makes sense.

I've lived and gigged in los angeles my whole life and I know the venues here. I too have found that certain amps/guitars sound better or worse in different rooms ... though I don't actually do much about it(?).

The only time that I make a 'conscious' decision to bring a particular guitar or amp is predicated on how dirty the AC is in the venue. There's a few places I will not bring a single coil pkup guitar (or make sure I have a noise gate with me).

*In a similar vein is the bio of Alan Lomax http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Lomax
Book ... http://www.johnszwed.com/
Highly recommended. It pulled many 'loose ends' together and I learned a lot.

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 25 2014, 04:29 PM

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 25 2014, 06:05 PM
I used to run sound in a venue that was an old theater. I would get people in there FREAKING out because their rig was humming. I had to explain that it was the lights and electrics making it happen. Not a bad patch cable or anything.

It's a tough thing to figure out how to asses volume and tone and make adjustments in a live environment. But it makes you appreciate the old classic studios that had those great sounding rooms.

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 25 2014, 03:19 PM) *
A lot of that makes sense.

I've lived and gigged in los angeles my whole life and I know the venues here. I too have found that certain amps/guitars sound better or worse in different rooms ... though I don't actually do much about it(?).

The only time that I make a 'conscious' decision to bring a particular guitar or amp is predicated on how dirty the AC is in the venue. There's a few places I will not bring a single coil pkup guitar (or make sure I have a noise gate with me).

*In a similar vein is the bio of Alan Lomax http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Lomax
Book ... http://www.johnszwed.com/
Highly recommended. It pulled many 'loose ends' together and I learned a lot.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:38 PM