Writing Songs In Cubase
eaglesnh4
Apr 17 2011, 11:16 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi guys, basically i want to write songs in cubase.

i want to start with drums, creating beats with drum fills exactly how i want them

then i want to add guitars, ( Bass, Rhythm & Lead )

Then i want to add vocals.

Now... i have ez drummer with the korg nano pad. i have both bass and electric guitars, i have an amp and effects board..

i have a presonus firepod with 8 xlr & 8 jack inputs.. Rode NT2's, Shure SM57's ....

i have Cubase 5

SO basically i have most of the things that i need. NOW !! what i dont have is the knowledge on how to create drum tracks!

Can anybody help me workout how i create complete drum tracks, so Intro,Verse A, Verse B, Chorus, Verse B, Chorus, Middle 8, Chorus,Outro

i would like a full drum track with drum fills etc. can anybody tell me how i can do this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Mexican Fender Stractocaster
Vox VT100
Line 6 Flextone iii
Vox VFS5 Footswitch
Boss Tu-3
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 17 2011, 11:48 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (eaglesnh4 @ Apr 18 2011, 12:16 AM) *
Hi guys, basically i want to write songs in cubase.

i want to start with drums, creating beats with drum fills exactly how i want them

then i want to add guitars, ( Bass, Rhythm & Lead )

Then i want to add vocals.

Now... i have ez drummer with the korg nano pad. i have both bass and electric guitars, i have an amp and effects board..

i have a presonus firepod with 8 xlr & 8 jack inputs.. Rode NT2's, Shure SM57's ....

i have Cubase 5

SO basically i have most of the things that i need. NOW !! what i dont have is the knowledge on how to create drum tracks!

Can anybody help me workout how i create complete drum tracks, so Intro,Verse A, Verse B, Chorus, Verse B, Chorus, Middle 8, Chorus,Outro

i would like a full drum track with drum fills etc. can anybody tell me how i can do this?

Hi there,

It seems that you have everything that is needed for home production.

Here is how to do drums :

Inside the ez drummer you will find many different present drum beats. Find the one you like and drag n drop it into the cubase midi track.
Once the drum beat midi track is selected (make sure you select drum map as GM map in the tracks midi properties to the left ) you can edit it in midi editor to make a slightly different drum beat/fill.

Basically what you do is control ez drummer via midi notes. Ideal way is to get cool present midi grooves for ez drummer (there are payed ones available for affordable price) and then find ones that suite your song well. Tweak them a bit in midi editor to make a perfect fit for your idea.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Bogdan

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 18 2011, 03:27 AM
GMC:er
Well said smile.gif It sounds like you just need to drag/drop some beats/fills from ez drummer in to a track and you are on your way. There are wads of videos on youtbe about using EZdrummer. It's a pretty simple interface once you get used to it. The tricky bit is not making it sound like a drum loop. Try to add in fills and breaks to break up the loop effect.

Todd

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 17 2011, 05:48 PM) *
Hi there,

It seems that you have everything that is needed for home production.

Here is how to do drums :

Inside the ez drummer you will find many different present drum beats. Find the one you like and drag n drop it into the cubase midi track.
Once the drum beat midi track is selected (make sure you select drum map as GM map in the tracks midi properties to the left ) you can edit it in midi editor to make a slightly different drum beat/fill.

Basically what you do is control ez drummer via midi notes. Ideal way is to get cool present midi grooves for ez drummer (there are payed ones available for affordable price) and then find ones that suite your song well. Tweak them a bit in midi editor to make a perfect fit for your idea.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Bogdan

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 18 2011, 09:05 AM
Instructor
EZDrummer has a MIDI browser, it looks like this:

Here's a cool tutorial on how to use EZD:

And, here's another one on how to make your own MIDI grooves:

Remember, all it takes is practice. When creating drum grooves, pay attention so they make a good bond with other instruments. This will create more momentum and energy for the song.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
eaglesnh4
Apr 18 2011, 10:19 AM
Learning Roadie
Cool... Thanks for the advice everyone.

--------------------
Mexican Fender Stractocaster
Vox VT100
Line 6 Flextone iii
Vox VFS5 Footswitch
Boss Tu-3

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 18 2011, 06:20 PM
Learning Roadie
I've thought about getting EZ drummer. So I could just use the program by itself, and export it as an mp3...where I could then make a song over it? A proper drum program is all I really lack in making a song. I've figured out how to emulate bass guitar with my electric guitar and POD Farm.

+Quote Post
quadrium
Apr 18 2011, 07:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (thefireball @ Apr 18 2011, 05:20 PM) *
I've figured out how to emulate bass guitar with my electric guitar and POD Farm.

Hey man. Can you tell me how did you emulate bass guitar with POD Farm? It'd be very useful for me also smile.gif

Dogukan,

This post has been edited by quadrium: Apr 18 2011, 07:59 PM

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 20 2011, 09:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Apr 18 2011, 07:20 PM) *
I've thought about getting EZ drummer. So I could just use the program by itself, and export it as an mp3...where I could then make a song over it? A proper drum program is all I really lack in making a song. I've figured out how to emulate bass guitar with my electric guitar and POD Farm.

No no mate. You would use EZDrummer as a plugin inside of your recording software. This will enable you to mix the drums per-channel. (Sometimes you will want a stronger or edgier kick for a specific song for example)

QUOTE (quadrium @ Apr 18 2011, 08:59 PM) *
Hey man. Can you tell me how did you emulate bass guitar with POD Farm? It'd be very useful for me also smile.gif

Dogukan,

You can try it with L6 Sub Octaves effect, where you make the software generate notes one octave lower then they are, although I'm not sure about the actual quality of those tones and the way they are being generated.

--------------------

+Quote Post
quadrium
Apr 21 2011, 01:57 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 20 2011, 08:45 PM) *
You can try it with L6 Sub Octaves effect, where you make the software generate notes one octave lower then they are, although I'm not sure about the actual quality of those tones and the way they are being generated.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks Ivan smile.gif

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 21 2011, 10:56 AM
Instructor
Glad to help mate. Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:37 PM