Practice Time
mattacuk
Apr 10 2007, 09:33 PM
Lets go fishing!
Hey Dudes,
Ive been looking around and I see some people practice for many hours a day. In a realistic situation id love to do this but I have a job and I work very very hard during the day. I try to always practice a solid 1 hour a day week days, and lots more weekends when im not so tired from work. Is this ok to practice around an hour a day during the week?? My mind says go, but my body says no to more than this !! laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Apr 10 2007, 09:35 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Pavel
Apr 10 2007, 09:36 PM
Instructor
Ofcourse i would advise you to go for more hours but if you are working and you are tired and all the stuff that goes with it - it's ok if you can at least practice EVERY DAY. No matter how many hours!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 10 2007, 09:39 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Apr 10 2007, 04:33 PM) *
Hey Dudes,
Ive been looking around and I see some people practice for many hours a day. In a realistic situation id love to do this but I have a job and I work very very hard during the day. I try to always practice 1 hour a day week days, and lots more weekends when im not so tired from work. Is this ok to practice around an hour a day during the week?? My mind says go, but my body says no to more than this !! laugh.gif

I'm in the exact same situation - I manage an hour most nights and try to do more on the weekend. Do as much as you are comfortable with, and can fit in without trashing the rest of your life is my advice - there is no right or wrong.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Apr 10 2007, 10:09 PM
Lets go fishing!
Hey Bro's,
Yeah totally, its a tricky situation. If you hammered after a days work its hard to stay focused. I LOVE to practice, ill sit there for hours with my metronome practicing if im not tired. Its a shame I have to work haha!! laugh.gif Im more than happy to play EVERYDAY, and I aim for hour 1/2.

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 10 2007, 10:12 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Apr 10 2007, 05:09 PM) *
Hey Bro's,
Yeah totally, its a tricky situation. If you hammered after a days work its hard to stay focused. I LOVE to practice, ill sit there for hours with my metronome practicing if im not tired. Its a shame I have to work haha!! laugh.gif Im more than happy to play EVERYDAY, and I aim for hour 1/2.

Now if I could figure out a way of making a living out of practicing guitar ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Apr 10 2007, 10:27 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 10 2007, 10:12 PM) *
Now if I could figure out a way of making a living out of practicing guitar ...

Sure, hell if i didnt have to work id spend all day play! wink.gif My next question is to make sure im useing my time efficently. Since christmas i usually start of my lessons practicing the speed picking patterns from Kris's speed picking video series to start of with. Then I move onto practicing a song or riff, maybe something from our archives. Currently im playing gabriels wonderful alternate picking peice, makeing sure to be in time with the clicks and watching my technique to ensure im playing "properly".

I also started Pavels sweeping lessons last week, the past few days I have been warming up with the Sweep practicing instead of the speed picking before i practice my main riffs/songs. Part of me thinks im neglecting my speed picking practice for something else! but then I want to learn new things too......

I guess I dont know how long i should keep things up before i move onto new things!! Theres so much I want to do next, Tapping and Legato for example. Maybe you guys can organise me better?! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Apr 11 2007, 12:17 AM
GMC:er
I know what you mean about practice time. My normal work day usually results in me working 12-15 hrs a day. So I try to practice for at least 1 hour per day. Some days are more and some are less. I know alot of people are worried about the amount of time put in, but I believe it's about the quality of your practice.

It's like working out. You see guys who work out 2-3 hrs a day and their body doesn't change/progress from month to month due to HOW they are training. Then you have another guy who puts in 45 minutes - 1hr a day and he progresses on a regular basis due to the quality of his workouts.

What's the saying about WORK SMART, not HARD?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:06 PM