2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How Do We Take An Audition?
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 18 2012, 10:00 AM
Instructor
Yesterday, I had a short talk with our friend MonkeyDAthos who is currently preparing himself for an important audition so, I thought I would talk a little about this subject. Musician etiquette and behavior in such occasions is crucial for getting the gig so, let's see what would be the steps that won't necessarily guarantee your absolute success, but will contribute in a great amount to it and will place you on the preferential list in any given situation.

So, the scenario goes like this - the contact has been made and you are being asked for an audition. It's regardless if they found your ad or if you found them. The contact has been made and the thing begins.

Who will you be playing with/ for?

Now, if the band is well known the better, but if you don't know them, try to find out as much as possible about them - their style, their names, their experience, every little detail that will matter. If they have an album out, go get it and when you will meet them, show that you know a lot of things about them. You will instantly get bonus points for the respect and admiration.

Being available

When they ask when it would be good for you - if it's a genre that you are experienced with and if you are somehow familiarized with their music, tell them that anytime would be good for you and underline that you are available and interested, in that way.

Getting into the groove

If you are not familiar with their music and if you need time to understand and assimilate what they are playing, buy some time and prepare yourself. Meet them and try to get your hands on their music before the audition. Learn the songs exactly as they are recorded - this is a sign of being a pro - and also, try to learn some songs in the same genre, just to... get in the groove smile.gif Be well prepared - better learn 2 songs spotless rather than 4 in a faulty way.

Belonging

Usually, if you are into jazz, chances are you won't be auditioning for a heavy metal band, but if this is the case... Come dressed in such a way that you will belong smile.gif You can be a hell of a bass player but if you don't fit with the guys they will choose a less prepared fellow which fits the scenario wink.gif

Timing

By all means DO NOT BE LATE - if you are truly interested in taking the audition. Here's how they read the signs:

Being 30 minutes early - they'll say you are a pro and you are really interested
Being on time - you are a pro but not really that interested
Being late - not a pro and not even interested - chances are, they'll pick up a less prepared fellow who came on time smile.gif

Assets

You may be a good player, but that's just one part of the whole package. People will be generally looking for:

- your professionalism - a lot of things to deal with here, from your timing, the way you talk, the way you react, the way you think, not being a showoff, what gear you have and the way you treat it... This will make the subject of another thread - a whole one!
- what sort of a human being you are - don't be arrogant, make them feel good and laugh, supporting the band and being involved.

These are the most important things one should take into consideration when wanting to join a band, so how many of these can you offer at this point? What do you feel you should be working on? smile.gif

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 18 2012, 11:33 AM
Instructor
So going and turning the bassist's amp down in the middle of a song is wrong ? huh.gif

Or going and standing in front of the lead singer whilst your taking your solo ?

Going and standing in front of the other guitarist whilst he's taking HIS solo ?

When you've finished practise, saying 'Screw you guys, I'm going home' in a Cartman voice before leaving also isn't the thing to do ?

No wonder I didn't get that Rihanna gig.... tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Dec 18 2012, 11:55 AM
Learning Roadie
Preparation is also key.

Learning the material as well as possible for the audition.

Making sure all you gear is maintained, no dodgy cables, pedals working and fresh batteries (if needed), fresh strings, intonation ok etc, they are auditioning your gear as much as you.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 19 2012, 12:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 18 2012, 10:33 AM) *
So going and turning the bassist's amp down in the middle of a song is wrong ? huh.gif

Or going and standing in front of the lead singer whilst your taking your solo ?

Going and standing in front of the other guitarist whilst he's taking HIS solo ?

When you've finished practise, saying 'Screw you guys, I'm going home' in a Cartman voice before leaving also isn't the thing to do ?

laugh.gif Sounds like Cartman started playing guitar and wanted to audition for a famous band laugh.gif All of the above are the exact things he'd do biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Dec 19 2012, 02:58 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 18 2012, 10:33 AM) *

These days that was all acceptible, it's call "attitude" and they look for that... give you are good enough at your trade to warrant attitude. You didn't get the gig cause you had better hair than she did. That was really unacceptible! What were you thinking?

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 19 2012, 02:58 PM
Instructor
Great tips Cosmin! It's been a while since my last audition that was a power/progressive metal band... (I got the job biggrin.gif ) but we have been doing Drummer auditions with Cirse and these are exactly the things that we paid attention from them.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Dec 19 2012, 03:00 PM
Right Gab.... you just walked in and got the job.... The rest of us have to prove ourselves. smile.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 19 2012, 03:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Dec 19 2012, 11:00 AM) *
Right Gab.... you just walked in and got the job.... The rest of us have to prove ourselves. smile.gif

hahah not really! I was 17 years old, I send them a cassette with some licks and riffs, then I had a reunion and then a rehearsal.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Dec 19 2012, 03:40 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 19 2012, 02:24 PM) *
hahah not really! I was 17 years old, I send them a cassette with some licks and riffs, then I had a reunion and then a rehearsal.

Well it sounded good the way I had it stated... biggrin.gif

And I agree, excellent bit of advice Cosmin, as always!

There is a video on youtube where Dream Theater documents their selection of a new drummer. Though not for a guitarist role, watching this video will give you a good idea of what a professional working band is looking for when selecting band mates as they speak with the band members on what they like and are looking for... It's a two part series that's worth a watch.

Dream Theater Part 1

Dream Theater Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L609JsPFmmI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vaDfcKzLbY

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 19 2012, 03:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Dec 19 2012, 01:58 PM) *
You didn't get the gig cause you had better hair than she did. That was really unacceptible! What were you thinking?

True.. and I looked more feminine... tongue.gif

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Dec 19 2012, 03:44 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 19 2012, 02:41 PM) *
True.. and I looked more feminine... tongue.gif

Hmm, maybe you should have shaved first? huh.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Dec 19 2012, 04:27 PM
Great tips Cosmin! I think about the timing it is important to aim to be 30 minutes early, since you'll never know due to traffic if you're driving or something like that! smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 19 2012, 02:58 PM) *
Great tips Cosmin! It's been a while since my last audition that was a power/progressive metal band... (I got the job biggrin.gif ) but we have been doing Drummer auditions with Cirse and these are exactly the things that we paid attention from them.

Drummers! Easy one, just make sure he can place the bass drum on 1 & 3 and snare on 2 & 4 tongue.gif, no need for anything more technical with those drummers now a day biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 20 2012, 12:28 PM
Instructor
Thanks guys! About being early.. sometimes being 30 minutes early is not even close to enough...

Last evening, we had the fist gig in the 'Almighty Three' project - this is a group of three bands playing modern metal in Romania. So, it's us - Days of Confusion that is and Goodbye to Gravity and White Walls. We planned the sound check at 5 and we actually managed to start at 7.. due to all sorts of tech issues in the club. We finished the sound check at 9.30 PM when the club was crammed with people. Bad, bad stuff.. You never do sound checking with a club filled with audience...

So, in this case, 2 o clock would've been early enough... Well, everything went smooth afterwards, but we had a great deal of stress becasue of timing before it all began. So in this case, being a pro, came down to analyzing the situation, forecasting issues which would've been expected when having 3 bands in a pretty small venue and applying the correct solution, which meant coming there a lot earlier than 5 PM.

I guess we learn as long as we live smile.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Dec 20 2012, 12:28 PM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 20 2012, 12:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Dec 19 2012, 02:44 PM) *
Hmm, maybe you should have shaved first? huh.gif

That might have helped !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 20 2012, 02:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 20 2012, 08:28 AM) *
Thanks guys! About being early.. sometimes being 30 minutes early is not even close to enough...

Last evening, we had the fist gig in the 'Almighty Three' project - this is a group of three bands playing modern metal in Romania. So, it's us - Days of Confusion that is and Goodbye to Gravity and White Walls. We planned the sound check at 5 and we actually managed to start at 7.. due to all sorts of tech issues in the club. We finished the sound check at 9.30 PM when the club was crammed with people. Bad, bad stuff.. You never do sound checking with a club filled with audience...

So, in this case, 2 o clock would've been early enough... Well, everything went smooth afterwards, but we had a great deal of stress becasue of timing before it all began. So in this case, being a pro, came down to analyzing the situation, forecasting issues which would've been expected when having 3 bands in a pretty small venue and applying the correct solution, which meant coming there a lot earlier than 5 PM.

This happened to us many times... in most of the cases we just started the show without soundcheck... We just checked that the channels where working and then started playing... the sound engineers had to work a lot in the first two songs...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
steve-rec-freak
Dec 21 2012, 02:20 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 20 2012, 02:17 PM) *
This happened to us many times... in most of the cases we just started the show without soundcheck... We just checked that the channels where working and then started playing... the sound engineers had to work a lot in the first two songs...

I find it very interesting, that no matter where you live in this world, everyone seems to experience the same "pre-show" stress.
biggrin.gif . It happened to me also many times, that we "lost" our first two songs because of being soundchecked while playing the show... mellow.gif

... on bigger stages I sometimes have the chance to skill my "play on sight", where I actually need to pretend to hear the drums,
while I am watching my drummer to stay in timing. biggrin.gif

Actually it happened just twice that I had an incredibly good monitor sound. Most of the time it is just "ok enough"...

cheers,

s.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 20 2012, 12:28 PM) *

Hey Cosmin,

I vote for an international agreement, that forces all local promoters at the venues to let the bands soundcheck
the day before the show. laugh.gif

Wouldn`t it be great? And one day later you could get in contact with your fans before the show. You could go sightseeing (if you have an outside gig)... or do whatever else gets you in the mood to play an awsome performance. biggrin.gif

cheers,

s.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 21 2012, 04:29 PM
Instructor
biggrin.gif Well, we had this privilege a day before our album release - the whole club for 6 hrs to arrange the sound check and to rehearse there smile.gif

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Dec 21 2012, 11:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Dec 19 2012, 06:40 AM) *
Well it sounded good the way I had it stated... biggrin.gif

And I agree, excellent bit of advice Cosmin, as always!

There is a video on youtube where Dream Theater documents their selection of a new drummer. Though not for a guitarist role, watching this video will give you a good idea of what a professional working band is looking for when selecting band mates as they speak with the band members on what they like and are looking for... It's a two part series that's worth a watch.

Dream Theater Part 1

Dream Theater Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L609JsPFmmI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vaDfcKzLbY

I had not seen this until now! Thanks so much for sharing. There is a 3rd (conclusion) video not linked here that is worth watching as well.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
steve-rec-freak
Dec 22 2012, 02:33 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 21 2012, 04:29 PM) *
biggrin.gif Well, we had this privilege a day before our album release - the whole club for 6 hrs to arrange the sound check and to rehearse there smile.gif

That`s cool man and that`s how it should always be... biggrin.gif

cheers,

s.

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Dec 22 2012, 03:05 AM
Great article man. It may seem obvious and just common sense, but we can all use a reminder at the very least. And in the heat of the moment it's easy to forget such basic things, so reading it over and being prepared can really help. Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:29 AM