3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Farmer Joe, Individual assignment & discussion thread
Velvet Roger
Feb 28 2009, 11:57 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
This thread will be used for your individual assignments and discussion smile.gif

Hi Joe,

Here is your first individual assignment for the MTP:

Assignment #1 - Farmer Joe

Lesson

I am planning to do the syllabus lessons in the same order with you, as you indicated that you are completely selftaught and relatively short playing. Hopefully we can quickly progress to a bit more advanced stuff. I would suggest to start the MTP with the lesson: Beginner- Strumming and Arpeggios

Technically speaking there is nothing challenging to this lesson, however timing wise it should be spot on. Try to get it perfect with downstrokes during the arpeggio's first on low tempo and gradually speed it up to full-tempo.

I hope the lesson will be relatively easy, but take the time you need to record a good video of it smile.gif

Deadline

I would like you to upload a video of this lesson in your own upload Thursday 5 March. Also if you have any questions, just ask them in this thread.

Good luck!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Farmer Joe
Mar 1 2009, 02:56 AM
GMC:er
Sounds good. This is actually one of the areas I am working on right now myself. I know the major chords off the top of my head, as well as A, D, and E minor, which are the three minor chords used in this lesson, so its perfect haha. I do need a lot of work between changing between the chords quicker and smoother, and I think its a perfect first lesson for me to get some feedback on. I'll probably have it recorded by tomorrow and uploaded. I'll take tonight to practice it a bit more. I like the quote in your signature, its what I will try to do. I'm not looking for the first time I get it right and in tempo, I'm looking for the time i can no longer get it wrong.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

ESP LTD Viper-100FM
Bridge - GFS Dream 90
Neck - DiMarzio DP193 Air Norton

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 1 2009, 02:15 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Sounds good, looking forward to your take smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Farmer Joe
Mar 3 2009, 03:26 PM
hey, still haven't forgotten about this. I didn't expect to have it come down to the deadline almost, my weekend off did not go as planned at all. I'll try to have my video up by today, tomorrow the latest. It's given me a few extra days of practice, but I'm still not there yet, so I'm not going to lie, it'll probably still be sloppy. I'm doing it at 75 bpm for now

--------------------

ESP LTD Viper-100FM
Bridge - GFS Dream 90

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 3 2009, 09:30 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Farmer Joe @ Mar 3 2009, 03:26 PM) *
hey, still haven't forgotten about this. I didn't expect to have it come down to the deadline almost, my weekend off did not go as planned at all. I'll try to have my video up by today, tomorrow the latest. It's given me a few extra days of practice, but I'm still not there yet, so I'm not going to lie, it'll probably still be sloppy. I'm doing it at 75 bpm for now

Thanks for the update,

Don't worry too much on the speed, I would rather like to see it at a lower speed, but played more perfect than a sloppy take at a higher speed. Speed will come naturally over time, however precision in playing is something which has to be mastered at slow speeds first in order to progress correctly.

Overall, just record a take when you think it's reasonably OK, so I can give you some pointers to pay extra attention to.It doesn't have to be perfect yet.

Cheers!

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Farmer Joe
Mar 6 2009, 04:06 AM
Well, I got my hands on a dv camera that I was able to borrow for my friend, the only catch was that I had to go buy the firewire cable to connect it to my computer haha, but that's cool. I should be able to get my hands on this for all my uploads, so I don't have to use my useless webcam.

Here's my take on the first lesson. There are errors galore, Ireally need help and guidance to improve. I've been practicing this lesson for the past 3-4 days, for at least an hour each day, and I just can't get it, although I have noticed a lot of improvement since I first attempted it (if you can believe that lol.) Its just frustrating with this lesson because its chords that I know, I just had to get used to transitioning between them, and I just couldn't do it yet; however, the F major barre chord is still a little difficult for me when it comes to timing it right and trying to change to another chord. I know I need improvements in every single area of my guitar playing, I just don't know where to begin. I need help with timing right from the start, I've never tried anything this slow at 50BPM, so it was kind of hard, but then again, if i pick a faster BPM, I can't transition between chord changes quick enough. So its not a slow or fast thing, its just me needing to improve my timing and rhythm desperately.

The only thing i noticed in the video that was Not a playing mistake on my part was the very first arpeggio of the A minor chord, the 1st string doesn't ring out (in the video) when I played it, but I believe that was an audio problem between the guitar and video camera, because it did actually ring out when I played it, but other than that, its all mistakes, and not the audio capture's fault.

well here's the video huh.gif

--------------------

ESP LTD Viper-100FM
Bridge - GFS Dream 90

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 6 2009, 08:52 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks a lot Luey,

I quickly watched it and will give you some detailed comments and pointers later on today (am at work currently).

I could certainly see that you've put quite some effort into it, and although there are some timing, picking issues (alternate / downstroke picking, which is not perse wrong although made it probably more difficult for yourself) you did a good job!

Although this lesson looks like a very basic one, these chord shapes are not always used a lot by beginning guitar players, hence the difficulty.

One request for the next video's though, could you use your own Upload thread for that smile.gif

More later smile.gif

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Mar 6 2009, 12:29 PM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 6 2009, 12:53 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Comments to assignment #1

As already mentioned above, I think you did a good job with this lesson Luey, but it still needs a bit of work to really nail it smile.gif .

There are a couple of things I would like to mention:

1) Regarding your timing: I noticed that at certain moments you are quite nicely in time with the strums and the following arpeggio's, however at several places you are not on the beat (mostly after the beat). You probably are already aware of most of them but I will just give you a couple of the most obvious ones here where the strumms are not completely in time: 0:37, 0:44, 0:58, 1:38 in the video.

2) In addition, you should pay a bit more attention to actually let the arpeggio notes ring nicely. Especially in the 2nd part of the video there were a couple of occassions in which the notes did not nicely rung too let the music 'flow melodically'. A couple of examples are: 1:19 (you started the arpeggio too late here actually) and 1:34, 1:45.

3) The reason that you still had some difficulty with the timing of strumms and arpeggio's seems to be due to the fact that you need quite a bit of time to switch the chordshapes. First of all: no worries, this will improve over time!!!! One thing I would advise you to do for those shapes you find to difficult to switch to is to isolate them a bit longer and practice those switches each day very focussed for a while (doesn't have to be very long, as long as it is focussed).

A fact is that currently I am practicing quite advanced chord shapes all over the neck of extented chords (like Maj13, Maj11 etc etc) and I am having quite similar problems when I start working with new shapes and doing an exercise similar to the one in this lesson. Believe it or not .. but at a certain moment (not so long from now), you will wake up and it will go much more smoother smile.gif

4) I also noted that you used alternate picking mostly throughout the arpeggio's which is not wrong as already mentioned, but for the sake of the lesson I would like to ask you to do the arpeggio's with downstrokes for the 1st part and upstrokes for the 2nd part solely. In our group exercise you can actually use the alternate picking (so we will certainly address both types of picking).

5) Finally, I noticed during the upstrokes that you tend to stop your strum a bit too early compared with the downstrokes. This is also something quite natural and just needs a bit of extra attention. Practice just a couple of chords (both chords which cover all 6 strings (F e.g.) and ones with 5 strings (C e.g.) or 4 strings (Dm e.g.) doing an downstroke 4x on every beat and then doing the same but with upstrokes for each chord and try to have an as smooth as possible movement strumming (it doesn't have to be very hard or quick, a bit more smooth will do for this lesson, as mentioned in the thread of Lee).

All in all, well done mate and it doesn't take too long to correct a couple of things!

May I ask you to work on this lesson for a couple of days longer, so you can work a bit on those aspects mentioned above and upload a new take just after the weekend (try not to use alternate picking)? Don't worry too much about the group exercise if it will bring you into trouble time-wise smile.gif

Good luck!

Roger

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Mar 6 2009, 01:04 PM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Farmer Joe
Mar 6 2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the nice critique Roger. I was actually going to ask if I could stay on this lesson for a few more days, so that's perfect. I can't let this lesson get away that easily. I'll attempt to get to the group lesson as well if this weekend isn't as hectic as last.

--------------------

ESP LTD Viper-100FM
Bridge - GFS Dream 90

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 6 2009, 02:14 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great, I like this spirit smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Farmer Joe
Mar 8 2009, 04:11 AM
Hey Roger,

I just noticed you mentioned in an earlier reply to post my video in the my upload thread. My bad, I don't know why, but I thought that the upload thread was just for uploads of the group assignment. I just must have misread something somewhere haha. I will post all my future videos in that thread though, thanks.

On the subject of group assignments though, I am reading through and memorizing some of the shapes now. I won't be able to post much because this is the first day i've actually looked at it (my individual assignment has been keeping me pretty occupied), but I'll try to post my take on the first video at least ( the D chords based off the C Major shape) by sometime tomorrow. I will definitely get to the other two portions of the group assignment, and have videos up by Wednesday, I hope. I want to get some of it done at least because I don't want it to seem as though i'm just brushing off these assignments, or forgetting about them. I do appreciate your help so far man, and I want to show it by improving way beyond the skill level that i'm at now. I know that's where you're trying to lead me with the assignments you give, and I'm just trying to get them done cool.gif
Also, I'm about 98% sure that i will be able to make it to the chat tomorrow, so will hopefully catch you there Roger.

peace

--------------------

ESP LTD Viper-100FM
Bridge - GFS Dream 90

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 8 2009, 11:09 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Farmer Joe @ Mar 8 2009, 04:11 AM) *
Hey Roger,

I just noticed you mentioned in an earlier reply to post my video in the my upload thread. My bad, I don't know why, but I thought that the upload thread was just for uploads of the group assignment. I just must have misread something somewhere haha. I will post all my future videos in that thread though, thanks.

On the subject of group assignments though, I am reading through and memorizing some of the shapes now. I won't be able to post much because this is the first day i've actually looked at it (my individual assignment has been keeping me pretty occupied), but I'll try to post my take on the first video at least ( the D chords based off the C Major shape) by sometime tomorrow. I will definitely get to the other two portions of the group assignment, and have videos up by Wednesday, I hope. I want to get some of it done at least because I don't want it to seem as though i'm just brushing off these assignments, or forgetting about them. I do appreciate your help so far man, and I want to show it by improving way beyond the skill level that i'm at now. I know that's where you're trying to lead me with the assignments you give, and I'm just trying to get them done cool.gif
Also, I'm about 98% sure that i will be able to make it to the chat tomorrow, so will hopefully catch you there Roger.

peace

Great to hear this Luey, the most important aspect I would like achieve is that you are going to get better by consistently focussed practicing. So don't worry too much if certain deadlines can't be kept, as long as you let me know how things are going and so on it's fine smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Farmer Joe
Mar 14 2009, 03:25 PM
Hey Roger, whats going on? I've been working on the tab you gave me to work on my time. I've been using a metronome, but I have a couple questions. Now I've had a metronome since I bought my guitar, but really haven't used it. I've been doing the lesson at 50bpm - 55bpm so far, but I'm not sure if I'm playing to the metronome correctly. For example, When doing quarter notes do I play one on the down beat (first click), one in between, one on the up beat (second click) and then one in between? That's what I've been doing, and for triplets the same thing, so I'm basically playing (the bold refers to the clicks on the metronome ) 1-and-uh 2-and-uh 3-and-uh 4-and-uh.
That's pretty much my only question.

--------------------

ESP LTD Viper-100FM
Bridge - GFS Dream 90

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 14 2009, 05:55 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Farmer Joe @ Mar 14 2009, 03:25 PM) *
Hey Roger, whats going on? I've been working on the tab you gave me to work on my time. I've been using a metronome, but I have a couple questions. Now I've had a metronome since I bought my guitar, but really haven't used it. I've been doing the lesson at 50bpm - 55bpm so far, but I'm not sure if I'm playing to the metronome correctly. For example, When doing quarter notes do I play one on the down beat (first click), one in between, one on the up beat (second click) and then one in between? That's what I've been doing, and for triplets the same thing, so I'm basically playing (the bold refers to the clicks on the metronome ) 1-and-uh 2-and-uh 3-and-uh 4-and-uh.
That's pretty much my only question.

The clicks on the metronome represent 'quarter notes' so (bold = note played on the click):

Whole notes: Play the note at the first click, wait for 3 more clicks and then repeat (1 - - -)
Half notes: Play the note at the first click, wait 1 more click, play the note at the 3rd click, wait 1 more click and then repeat (1 - 1 -)
Quarter notes: Play the note at each click you hear (1 2 3 4)
Eight notes: Play them like this: 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2)
Triplets: Play the 1st note of the triplet on each click, the 2nd and 3rd note of the triplet before the next click so (1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3).

Kris made an excellent lesson on metronome use, which you can check out here

Hope this helped smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Farmer Joe
Mar 14 2009, 07:31 PM
So I've basically been playing all the notes In the tab you gave me at double the speed? So like 100 bpm triplets if not more. No wonder it seemed so dificult at first, thats been my issue with timing haha laugh.gif I almost got it down playing like that though, just a little bit more practice on triplets. But now it'll be easier since I understand

This post has been edited by Farmer Joe: Mar 14 2009, 07:33 PM

--------------------

ESP LTD Viper-100FM
Bridge - GFS Dream 90

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 14 2009, 08:22 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Farmer Joe @ Mar 14 2009, 07:31 PM) *
So I've basically been playing all the notes In the tab you gave me at double the speed? So like 100 bpm triplets if not more. No wonder it seemed so dificult at first, thats been my issue with timing haha laugh.gif I almost got it down playing like that though, just a little bit more practice on triplets. But now it'll be easier since I understand

Great you understand it now, looking forward to see your progress smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Farmer Joe
Mar 19 2009, 02:35 AM
Hey Roger, I'm not going to have the video camera until Friday probably, so I'm posting up an Audio take of the timing exercise you gave me. I figured its not too big of a deal if its just audio because as far as technique wise (picking), its pretty simple, mostly just downstrokes, except for the triplets were I used alternate picking. Plus the sooner I can upload a take of this, the sooner I can get feedback from you on what to correct, and the sooner I can get a new fun assignment smile.gif

I did it at 75BPM like you wanted. I do apologize for the unwanted noise on the 3rd and 4th measure (the part of the tab with the half notes) after the first beat on each one, I just realized after I had mixed it down that I probably should've recorded another take because I guess my pick hit the string a little on each of those and didn't let the note ring out clearly, but it only happens on the first beat of the half notes. I only had a short while to record, I have to get back to my programming assignment for class, its keeping me busy laugh.gif I am well aware of those two little mistakes and plan not to make them ever again tongue.gif

Attached File  Rhythm_Tab_Exercise_01_MP3_.mp3 ( 2.2MB ) Number of downloads: 207

--------------------

ESP LTD Viper-100FM
Bridge - GFS Dream 90

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 19 2009, 03:51 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Farmer Joe @ Mar 19 2009, 02:35 AM) *
Hey Roger, I'm not going to have the video camera until Friday probably, so I'm posting up an Audio take of the timing exercise you gave me. I figured its not too big of a deal if its just audio because as far as technique wise (picking), its pretty simple, mostly just downstrokes, except for the triplets were I used alternate picking. Plus the sooner I can upload a take of this, the sooner I can get feedback from you on what to correct, and the sooner I can get a new fun assignment smile.gif

I did it at 75BPM like you wanted. I do apologize for the unwanted noise on the 3rd and 4th measure (the part of the tab with the half notes) after the first beat on each one, I just realized after I had mixed it down that I probably should've recorded another take because I guess my pick hit the string a little on each of those and didn't let the note ring out clearly, but it only happens on the first beat of the half notes. I only had a short while to record, I have to get back to my programming assignment for class, its keeping me busy laugh.gif I am well aware of those two little mistakes and plan not to make them ever again tongue.gif

Attached File  Rhythm_Tab_Exercise_01_MP3_.mp3 ( 2.2MB ) Number of downloads: 207

Hey Luey,

Thanks for posting the audio take, which is fine in this case.

You did well regarding timing! You basically followed the tab correctly (with a few exceptions, mentioned below) and started on the right moments. This means that we can now continue again with the assignment and using the current progress, which enables us to work on chord transistions a bit more smile.gif smile.gif

A couple of comments which did go wrong:

Bar 9+10: you played the triplets instead of 3 notes per beat with same length (1/3 of a quarter note, or 1/3 of a beat) as 1 eight note followed by 2 sixteenth notes.

Bar 13+17: you played the C-note twice in these bars, whilst you only had to play it once. If you look closely to the sheet music, you can see that first C-note (8th note) is tied with the (1/2 note), meaning that it has to ring for in total 2.5 beats and it is not supposed to be picked twice in that bar smile.gif

I am happy that we can get back on track, well done! smile.gif

Cheers
Roger

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Farmer Joe
Mar 19 2009, 04:33 PM
Ok cool, thanks man. The extra C note is easy enough to fix. I'll have to look at some lessons on triplets, hopefully there are some, because this is actually my first attempt at doing triplets. I'll have that fixed soon

--------------------

ESP LTD Viper-100FM
Bridge - GFS Dream 90

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 19 2009, 05:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Farmer Joe @ Mar 19 2009, 04:33 PM) *
Ok cool, thanks man. The extra C note is easy enough to fix. I'll have to look at some lessons on triplets, hopefully there are some, because this is actually my first attempt at doing triplets. I'll have that fixed soon

Check out the metronome lesson of Kris, which perfectly showes how to play triplets, and how not to play them. Really worthwhile doing that smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 12:35 AM