Acoustic Song
quadrium
May 26 2011, 12:20 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hey guys, here is a new acoustic song of mine. Haven't mixed it yet. Hope you like it. Waiting your comments smile.gif

Dogukan,

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Acoustica.mp3 ( 5.84MB ) Number of downloads: 178

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 26 2011, 03:01 AM
GMC:er
I'm digging it!

I thought I'd give a take on playing over it as it sounded like a spiff tune for solo work! Here is the take.

Attached File  AccousticaToddSolo.mp3 ( 6.26MB ) Number of downloads: 201

I did notice that tuning issue again though. Is your guitar properly intonated? Intonation is a tricky thing. Your guitar can sound in tune and then past the 12th fret or on a higher string, sound out again. Getting the instrument intonated and then keeping it tuned is a bit of a pain but well worth it.

When recording, always tune the instrument before each take if possible. This seems extreme and a huge pain, but if your instrument drifts a bit during/between takes, that's what gets recorded. Nothing kills the musicality of a nice song worse than tuning. Well, perhaps bad playing but you play very well so that's not an issue smile.gif

I'd suggest re-recording and perhaps putting some sort of percussion in just to keep steady time. A marimba, anything. I know this can be a huge pain too. But again, well worth the habit of getting in to.

QUOTE (quadrium @ May 25 2011, 06:20 PM) *
Hey guys, here is a new acoustic song of mine. Haven't mixed it yet. Hope you like it. Waiting your comments smile.gif

Dogukan,

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
quadrium
May 26 2011, 03:08 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 26 2011, 02:01 AM) *
I'm digging it!

I thought I'd give a take on playing over it as it sounded like a spiff tune for solo work! Here is the take.

Attached File  AccousticaToddSolo.mp3 ( 6.26MB ) Number of downloads: 201

I did notice that tuning issue again though. Is your guitar properly intonated? Intonation is a tricky thing. Your guitar can sound in tune and then past the 12th fret or on a higher string, sound out again. Getting the instrument intonated and then keeping it tuned is a bit of a pain but well worth it.

When recording, always tune the instrument before each take if possible. This seems extreme and a huge pain, but if your instrument drifts a bit during/between takes, that's what gets recorded. Nothing kills the musicality of a nice song worse than tuning. Well, perhaps bad playing but you play very well so that's not an issue smile.gif

I'd suggest re-recording and perhaps putting some sort of percussion in just to keep steady time. A marimba, anything. I know this can be a huge pain too. But again, well worth the habit of getting in to.

Wow! Great work on the solo Todd smile.gif LOVED IT biggrin.gif I've tuned my guitar before get into recording but i think there is something wrong with the intonation. I have to get it fixed.

Dogukan,

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 26 2011, 04:33 AM
Glad you liked it wink.gif It's a great piece to solo over. I took your track and doubled it by duplicating it in my DAW then offsetting one track about 10 milliseconds. I also added a compressor, chorus, delay and OZONE. Here it is without the solo just for comparison with the original track.

Attached File  AccousticaFXNoSolo.mp3 ( 6.26MB ) Number of downloads: 179

Once you mix it, put it up so we can give it a listen smile.gif When you do go to mix, see if you can do the "doubling" trick like I described and play around with fx like compressor, chorus, maybe delay etc. Every mix, even a rough mix is a great chance to practice your production skills. These skills are just as important as playing ability for the modern musician. It's almost expected that we can record/mix/master by ourselves these days. Those used to be four peoples jobs.

Todd

QUOTE (quadrium @ May 25 2011, 09:08 PM) *
Wow! Great work on the solo Todd smile.gif LOVED IT biggrin.gif I've tuned my guitar before get into recording but i think there is something wrong with the intonation. I have to get it fixed.

Dogukan,

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 26 2011, 06:53 AM

P.S.: ACCOUSTIC COLLAB?
What about making this in to an accoustic collaboration project? Could be a cool collab!

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 26 2011, 06:54 AM

+Quote Post
TylerT
May 26 2011, 08:53 AM
Guitar Hero
Todd your solo is beast...

How to you get that tone? Other than your badass aggressive picking style haha

--------------------
My Website
My Youtube

Main Guitars:
- Agile Interceptor Pro 725
- EBMM John Petrucci Signature
- Axl Badwater

Amps/Effects:
- Avid Eleven Rack
- Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
- Pod X3 Live

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 26 2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks smile.gif This is a very simple setup. It's mostly coming from an ancient Digitech GNX3. I kept that pedal board just for the tube screamer emulation and it's ability to stack gain stages. You can get them for less than the cost of a nice distortion pedal on ebay these days.

Attached Image

Another secret is the "RAVEN" microphone. Designed by BLUE electronics with a partnership with Electro Voice. That fell apart and the mic wasn't marketed and became sort of an underground fav. They don't make these anymore either but you can still find them cheaper than a SM BETA 58 on musicians friend. They use a HUGE surface area to get killer punch. Here is my review of the mic on our GMC Wiki.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...aven_Mic_Review
Attached Image
The last bit may be the most suprising as I"m not using a guitar amp or even a decent cab. It's a cheap PA amp (Solid State, Four Channel PA Head that I got from a pawn shop) in to a very cheap guitar cab (SoundMaster) using 12 inch drivers.
Attached Image
The Amp and Speakers don't color the sound much which is the exact opposite of a standard killer guitar rig built from a killer head (5150/Boogie/krank) and killer cabinet (with celestions). I"m using the guitar modeling in the GNX3 and huge surface area of the Raven mic to get good sound. The good news is, this setup is cheeeaaaaaappp. So you can spend more money on guitars. smile.gif

QUOTE (TylerT @ May 26 2011, 02:53 AM) *
Todd your solo is beast...

How to you get that tone? Other than your badass aggressive picking style haha

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 26 2011, 02:14 PM

+Quote Post
TylerT
May 26 2011, 08:07 PM
Guitar Hero
Wow man, thats on odd setup but it really works!!!

I used to have a digitech floorboard, they're really underrated, they're up there with the POD's and half the price.

My mic is really beefy though, and it looks like it would sound nowhere near a 57 (IMO), but based on the recordings it sounds unreal!!

Ill bet ya it sounds much better the way you have it now then if you were to record direct!! (Have you tried)

This post has been edited by TylerT: May 26 2011, 08:08 PM

--------------------
My Website
My Youtube

Main Guitars:
- Agile Interceptor Pro 725
- EBMM John Petrucci Signature
- Axl Badwater

Amps/Effects:
- Avid Eleven Rack
- Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
- Pod X3 Live

+Quote Post
quadrium
May 26 2011, 08:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 26 2011, 05:53 AM) *

P.S.: ACCOUSTIC COLLAB?
What about making this in to an accoustic collaboration project? Could be a cool collab!

Todd

A collab would be great!

--------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 27 2011, 03:59 AM
Thanks wink.gif Yeah, it is a bit weird.

Using the GNX3 to record direct has never really done the trick for me. Sounds too synthetic even with the cab emulation. But run it through any type of clean amplification and pretty much any speaker cab and bingo! I've tried countless combinations of gear and I usually keep at least one example of anything I find that works really well. Thus why I still have this GNX3 and the RAVEN mic.

I have been using Guitar Rig 4 quite a bit lately but thought I'd do a non emulated take to change things up smile.gif If you do get a chance to grab a RAVEN mic, get one. It's a great addition to any Mic collection and a huge bargain for the sound.

When I was using nice Heads/Cabs, I usually had to use pretty high volume to get good tone. The trouble is, the speakers I'm mixing with are in the same room as the guitar amp making accurate monitoring/mixing impossible and the volume required drowns out everything and usually gets the police involved. Thats why I started to experiment with anything and everything to try to get good tone at lower volume. For home recording purposes, some cheap/discontinued gear in the right combination is the key smile.gif Or one "key" there are many ways to "Skin A Cat" as they say!

Todd

QUOTE (TylerT @ May 26 2011, 02:07 PM) *
Wow man, thats on odd setup but it really works!!!

I used to have a digitech floorboard, they're really underrated, they're up there with the POD's and half the price.

My mic is really beefy though, and it looks like it would sound nowhere near a 57 (IMO), but based on the recordings it sounds unreal!!

Ill bet ya it sounds much better the way you have it now then if you were to record direct!! (Have you tried)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 28 2011, 12:29 AM
I"d say record this to a click track, or put a click track to it so folks have some timing cues and then put the word out as a new Collab! If you do, consider me in! smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (quadrium @ May 26 2011, 02:25 PM) *
A collab would be great!

+Quote Post
quadrium
May 28 2011, 04:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 27 2011, 11:29 PM) *
I"d say record this to a click track, or put a click track to it so folks have some timing cues and then put the word out as a new Collab! If you do, consider me in! smile.gif

Todd

Sound great! smile.gif I'll do it smile.gif

Dogukan,

--------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:49 AM