Elixr Strings?
GuitarMonkey
Feb 27 2009, 11:16 PM
GMC:er
I'm sure this has already been asked, but any input on how good or bad Elixer strings are? Are they worth the extra $$$?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by GuitarMonkey: Feb 27 2009, 11:21 PM

--------------------
[font="Tahoma"][/font][size="4"][/size][color="#008000"][/color]GuitarMonkey
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Velvet Roger
Feb 27 2009, 11:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Quality of Elixer strings is really good. They definitely last longer in my opinion. However they sound also more bright, which was for me the reason not to keep them on my maple neck strat.

You should try it out, as it is also quite personal.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Feb 27 2009, 11:18 PM

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Feb 27 2009, 11:28 PM
They are the best strings I have ever used!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 27 2009, 11:33 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I've got my first set (on a mahogany neck) and I love em! They last a lot longer than the strings I used to use (daddario). Got more string separation in sound and better clarity. And I find they stay in tune like I never experienced before. Maybe the coating works as lubrication in the nut or something but it's a bug difference on this guitar of mine.

I reccomend them!

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Feb 27 2009, 11:34 PM
I tried them once, and I HATED the sound that came from them, and at this time I was very much a beginner on the guitar, and the sound still offended my ears.

though I realize that I am in the minority here, just thought I'd chip in my 2 cents.

Maybe I'll give Elixir another change one day...

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Feb 28 2009, 12:02 AM
It's spelled elixir, not elixer /grammar nazi

But yeah, Elixirs are amazing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GuitarMonkey
Feb 28 2009, 12:05 AM
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Feb 27 2009, 06:02 PM) *
It's spelled elixir, not elixer /grammar nazi

But yeah, Elixirs are amazing.

LOL. I changed the spelling because I thought I had it wrong, but was correct the first time. biggrin.gif
Can you feel the coating on the strings?

--------------------

+Quote Post
berko
Feb 28 2009, 12:11 AM
QUOTE (GuitarMonkey @ Feb 28 2009, 12:05 AM) *
LOL. I changed the spelling because I thought I had it wrong, but was correct the first time. biggrin.gif
Can you feel the coating on the strings?

Yes you can. I mean, they feel like a set of brand new strings. But they feel like that for 1.5 months. No rust, no blackening stirngs. I'm an Elixir-addict too.

Yes, they are brighter than usual and you have to get used to the coating. Since they don't wear of in a couple of days like other strings, it does have less "grip" on them. However, this coating can get damaged near the frets with lots of bending. I change my elixir strings every 1.5 months and they are always shiny as if they were new but the coating is damaged so they tend to rub against the frets.

If your hands sweat a lot and you need a set of strings that doesn't become rusty after 2 weeks of intensive playing, then Elixir is your choice

This post has been edited by berko: Feb 28 2009, 12:12 AM

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 28 2009, 12:12 AM
Instructor
I've used some 5-6 sets of them until finally decided that they are not for me. I liked the fact that they last longer (which they really do), but I change strings before every gig anyway, so they wouldn't last that long. The second reason is that I didn't liked the sound to much. It was kinda "scooped" in mids, this is the best way to describe it. They had bottom end, and some high end clarity (which was really good btw), but didn't have enough body for my taste. As far as the quality goes, they are really great, and worth the price if you don't mind the details I've described above.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
GuitarMonkey
Feb 28 2009, 12:16 AM
Thanks for all the great input. I'll give them a try.

--------------------

+Quote Post
berko
Feb 28 2009, 12:19 AM
QUOTE (GuitarMonkey @ Feb 28 2009, 12:16 AM) *
Thanks for all the great input. I'll give them a try.

Great attitude. Even after becoming a lifetime fan of Elixirs, I tried many other brands (all that were available in local stores) to be sure about my personal preferences. This is what i do with my picks too (I wish I could do this with high-end guitars too lol). It's certainly worth a try.

Then tell us about your experience! cool.gif

This post has been edited by berko: Feb 28 2009, 12:19 AM

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 28 2009, 12:25 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I somehow never got around to trying out some on my bass (they are really expensive)!! Wonder if they'll retain the new strings sound longer...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
GuitarMonkey
Feb 28 2009, 12:26 AM
QUOTE (berko @ Feb 27 2009, 06:19 PM) *
Great attitude. Even after becoming a lifetime fan of Elixirs, I tried many other brands (all that were available in local stores) to be sure about my personal preferences. This is what i do with my picks too (I wish I could do this with high-end guitars too lol). It's certainly worth a try.

Then tell us about your experience! cool.gif

You bet. I'll let you know how they work for me. My guitar is in the shop right now. I'm getting some new tuners installed. Since I have to have a whole set-up done anyway, thought I would try some diff strings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 28 2009, 12:31 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Feb 28 2009, 12:25 AM) *
I somehow never got around to trying out some on my bass (they are really expensive)!! Wonder if they'll retain the new strings sound longer...

Yes I think they do sound new for the longest time. I think the high cost will even out compared to several sets of cheaper not so long lasting strings.

+Quote Post
Disturbed21
Feb 28 2009, 02:48 AM
QUOTE (berko @ Feb 27 2009, 06:11 PM) *
Yes you can. I mean, they feel like a set of brand new strings. But they feel like that for 1.5 months. No rust, no blackening stirngs. I'm an Elixir-addict too.

Yes, they are brighter than usual and you have to get used to the coating. Since they don't wear of in a couple of days like other strings, it does have less "grip" on them. However, this coating can get damaged near the frets with lots of bending. I change my elixir strings every 1.5 months and they are always shiny as if they were new but the coating is damaged so they tend to rub against the frets.

If your hands sweat a lot and you need a set of strings that doesn't become rusty after 2 weeks of intensive playing, then Elixir is your choice

Sometimes they can last longer than that. My current set is still fine and I changed my strings last year. Maybe it depends on how you play or something unsure.gif ?

--------------------
Enter The Doom And Gloom If You Dare Below This Message

http://www.last.fm/user/Disturbed21

and add if you want...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 28 2009, 03:30 AM
Instructor
Another thing to note is that these strings do not retain their tone after month. They start to sound week, so in my opinion they are not that durable, they just have a good coating that protects them from sounding very bad. I experienced loss of sustain, high end, and they broke couple of times on me because kept them more than a month on the guitar.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 28 2009, 03:37 AM
Instructor
Elixir for me all the way,
love everything about them. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Aleksander Sukov...
Feb 28 2009, 01:53 PM
Instructor
Elixir are maybe the best strings you can buy. I would definitely recommend them to anyone who plays live gigs or does some studio recording.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 28 2009, 07:24 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I started using them a few months ago and love them. Other strings turn rusty very fast, these ones stay bright much longer.

This post has been edited by Fran: Mar 1 2009, 04:36 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
29a
Mar 1 2009, 04:15 PM
I love them, and also wrote a review about them:
http://29a.ch/2009/2/10/review-elixir-nanoweb-strings

I've also ordered some coated ernie balls so maybe I can make a comparison at some point.

Ivan Milenkovic,
You probably play a lot more than I do, but I've only noticed loss of tone after about 3 Months. And with normal strings it took between 2 weeks and a month until they sounded dull and uncomfortable.

Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:25 PM