Video Chats, Why aren't more people using this feature?
Blister
Nov 12 2011, 04:01 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I have to say that the video chat feature here at GMC is one of the main reasons I decided to join. Due to my busy work schedule, it is difficult to make time for private lessons (not to mention how expensive they are). I try to be a regular at Todd's chat each Saturday which has really helped me a lot. I like to attend other chats when my work schedule doesn't interfere. I like the planned out lesson, interaction with the instructor as well as other members in the chat room. I also find it very interesting finding out the countries of those attending the chat. What do you like about the chats?

Gary

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Nov 12 2011, 09:18 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Yeah, the chats are great, best feature of GMC at the moment imo!
I also like the interaction with the other students and the instructor, great thing is you can describe what kind of problem you might have playing a certain lick and you get instant feedback and advice what to change.
Also, the off-topic talking at the beginning of each chat (and sometimes the middle and the end of the chat as well) is hilarious and so much fun laugh.gif And you really get to know the other guys better, which is a great thing in a community like GMC.

Christian

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 12 2011, 11:12 AM
Instructor
Great thread man! This is very helpful for us. It's would be great to know which things you like and which things you would improve of the video chats.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
JD_
Nov 12 2011, 11:15 AM
Learning Roadie
Good thread....

IMO, chats are really usefull, The instructor usually has a topic or theme to the chat, and being able to deift away from that and ask a random question on something you are struggling with is the most usefull feature...

Cheers

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 12 2011, 11:53 AM
GMC:er
I"ve got to say the Vid Chats are my fav bit as well! wink.gif I'm glad you are digging them and that they are helping! I attend other instructors chats all the time and learn something new every time.

My Video Chats seem to be a bit more "Structured" on the whole it seems. I just assumed everyone did it the same way at first, with 2 Hour Lesson Plan and notes, tabs, etc using metronome and music to play against with the group, etc. Come to find out, each instructor is different and the chats follow that which is actually great as it give tons of variety. Mine are more like a "Mini Clinic" which probably owes to my time spent teaching in College ( I was an adjunct faculty for three years) so the formal structure comes naturally smile.gif

I"ve learned TONS since I started as an instructor here @ GMC from not only the instructors but also from the students. This is truly an AMAZING place for guitar players. I don't know how I got by without it!

Todd

QUOTE (Blister @ Nov 11 2011, 10:01 PM) *
I have to say that the video chat feature here at GMC is one of the main reasons I decided to join. Due to my busy work schedule, it is difficult to make time for private lessons (not to mention how expensive they are). I try to be a regular at Todd's chat each Saturday which has really helped me a lot. I like to attend other chats when my work schedule doesn't interfere. I like the planned out lesson, interaction with the instructor as well as other members in the chat room. I also find it very interesting finding out the countries of those attending the chat. What do you like about the chats?

Gary

+Quote Post
Blister
Nov 12 2011, 02:43 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Nov 12 2011, 03:18 AM) *
I also like the interaction with the other students and the instructor, great thing is you can describe what kind of problem you might have playing a certain lick and you get instant feedback and advice what to change.
Also, the off-topic talking at the beginning of each chat (and sometimes the middle and the end of the chat as well) is hilarious and so much fun laugh.gif And you really get to know the other guys better, which is a great thing in a community like GMC.

Christian

It's great to get that immediate answer when we have a question. We do have a lot of fun! Christian, you have to ask Azza about the time a "virtual" cat got loose during the chat!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 12 2011, 05:12 AM) *
Great thread man! This is very helpful for us. It's would be great to know which things you like and which things you would improve of the video chats.

Thanks Gabe. I've heard one minor frustration from the instructors is that they can't hear the students playing during the chat since the only interaction is by typing. Maybe it would be a good idea for students to send a short mp3 or wav to the instructors forum page.

QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Nov 12 2011, 05:15 AM) *
Good thread....

IMO, chats are really usefull, The instructor usually has a topic or theme to the chat, and being able to deift away from that and ask a random question on something you are struggling with is the most usefull feature...

Cheers

Great point! In the past, this actually bothered me. Not anymore. I think it's best for the instructor to stop within a short period of time & answer the question then get back to the lesson/topic. My reason is that some members can't stay for the entire chat. A while back, a student asked a question & the instructor said he would get to that in a minute. Twenty to thirty minutes later, the instructor got to the question but the student had left. This is not directed at you, Jax, but just to be clear, I do believe you need to spend some time in the chat before asking an off topic question; not just jumping in a chat, asking a random question & then leaving. I don't think I have ever seen that happen. The manners & respect here at GMC are amazing!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 12 2011, 05:53 AM) *
I"ve got to say the Vid Chats are my fav bit as well! wink.gif I'm glad you are digging them and that they are helping! I attend other instructors chats all the time and learn something new every time.

My Video Chats seem to be a bit more "Structured" on the whole it seems. I just assumed everyone did it the same way at first, with 2 Hour Lesson Plan and notes, tabs, etc using metronome and music to play against with the group, etc. Come to find out, each instructor is different and the chats follow that which is actually great as it give tons of variety. Mine are more like a "Mini Clinic" which probably owes to my time spent teaching in College ( I was an adjunct faculty for three years) so the formal structure comes naturally smile.gif

I"ve learned TONS since I started as an instructor here @ GMC from not only the instructors but also from the students. This is truly an AMAZING place for guitar players. I don't know how I got by without it!

Todd

I absolutely love it when another instructor joins in the chat. It's almost like getting a private lesson by 2 (& sometimes 3) instructors! I really like your planned & tabbed out lessons made for the chats. I can then go back during the week to include them in my practice. But when I joined, you & Ramiro were the only chats (that I noticed, the calendar wasn't up yet) & his method was the opposite from your style of teaching yet equally beneficial. The topic was usually whatever those in the room wanted to talk about; theory, licks, style, other guitarists it didn't matter.

This is truly an AMAZING place for guitar players. I don't know how I got by without it!

Todd

I couldn't agree more! smile.gif

Gary

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 12 2011, 03:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Nov 12 2011, 08:18 AM) *

Christian

+1 Christian! you are the number one mischief creator in the chat room biggrin.gif

For me, video chat sessions are a nice personal experience! I think it's awesome to have people from many corners of the earth in the chat room and to be able to help them out and have a great time! smile.gif I must say, I feel really, really good when you guys are happy at the end.

But since I never asked, this is a very good occasion - is it something you would particularly like me to change about the way my sessions are happening?

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Nov 12 2011, 04:11 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I really wonder how I got the reputation of both being a mischief creator in the chat and a ladykiller in the real world? I can't remember having said or done anything that would justify such a reputation... ph34r.gif oh...wait a minute...

Anyway, since Todd's chat was the first I ever attended I really got used to his style of teaching and I draw the most benefit from it, having tabs, getting some time to figure out the pattern and the speed it up as much as possible. Ben also does this. Cosmin, Gabriel, Sinisa and Ivan usually have a topic they will talk about without prepared tabs. Adrian as well, as far as I know, but his chat is a bit too late for me. This is also really cool, cause it gives all of us more freedom, like when we wanna discuss a certain topics (let's say open chords...) it is easier to react to such a request. But it is a bit difficult for me when an instructor says "let's jam to this in D dorian mode"...cause I simply don't know D Dorian (and lots of other modes and scales, for that matter) and need some preparation time to figure the scale out. Therefore, a main topic for each chat, given one or 2 days in advance would be cool.

Other than that, just keep everything the way it is.

This post has been edited by Gitarrero: Nov 12 2011, 04:11 PM

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 12 2011, 07:22 PM
Instructor
Excellent topic, and such a nice spontaneous feedback smile.gif

It's great to watch chats develop into what we have today, and I learned quite a few interesting things when attending other instructor chats. It's definitely a feature that is the part of the future, you can feel that it is bringing people closer.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 12 2011, 07:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Nov 12 2011, 10:43 AM) *
Thanks Gabe. I've heard one minor frustration from the instructors is that they can't hear the students playing during the chat since the only interaction is by typing. Maybe it would be a good idea for students to send a short mp3 or wav to the instructors forum page.

I couldn't agree more! smile.gif

Gary

that's a very good idea! thanks Gary.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 12 2011, 07:57 PM
Instructor
Yes, this could help in simulating real classroom environment even further

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 12 2011, 10:46 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, chats are great, it's just sometimes I don't take time out of the day to join or I am at work..or I forget.

+Quote Post
crushpuppy
Nov 13 2011, 05:58 AM
Learning Tone Master
I enjoyed my first video chat tonight and I thought it was great!. I have no idea why more people would not take advantage of this feature. I am new here and am still figuring out how things are done. Todds chat was awesome with the associated lesson materials to work with throughout the chat. I am hoping most if not all video lessons have a lesson plan and material to work with. That was fantastic.

If all video lessons are structured like Todds and players can check out the lesson plans or at least have an idea about the topics that are going to be disscussed. I cant imagine why more wouldent log in.

If there are video chats that are more free form that would work too for asking random questions. I personaly think it is helpful to know the general "Subject" of the chat so one can decide if they would like to take part.

This site is exactly what I was looking for!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 13 2011, 01:28 PM
Instructor
Great to see such feedback once again smile.gif Yeah, one main topic during the chat is needed, and members can ask random questions along the way, this is nice way to work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JD_
Nov 13 2011, 01:32 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 13 2011, 12:28 PM) *
Great to see such feedback once again smile.gif Yeah, one main topic during the chat is needed, and members can ask random questions along the way, this is nice way to work.

+1 cool.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 13 2011, 08:01 PM
Instructor
Glad to know I'm on a good path biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:30 PM