2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Webcam Questions :)
Mertay
Jan 4 2014, 01:36 AM
GMC:er
So I made a quick search on options for webcams, prices go from almost a pack of cigarettes to a beginner level guitar smile.gif

would something like this work well in a bedroom lighting?

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/hd-webcam-c270?crid=34

also, I play guitar from the computer. When recording visual from one and sound (+plug-ins) from another program, does one need to increase the soundcard buffer rate?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Barthandelus
Jan 4 2014, 03:41 AM
Nothing wrong with that cam, mate. I have a Logitech at work, and have no worries at all. It adapts to the light pretty good.

Depending on your card (ASIO drivers?), if you increase the buffer, you'll introduce some lag which will make playing bl00dy hard - a delay between when you hit the note and hear the sound.

Webcams are not really processor intensive, so you should get by without increasing buffers. Most cams process the video internally, and just stream the video to your machine - kinda like watching a YouTube video. You'll be fine - unless you have an old 486 computer running Windows 95... :-) Just dont forget to select the correct inputs for your video recording software.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Barthandelus: Jan 4 2014, 03:41 AM

+Quote Post
Yash
Jan 4 2014, 11:00 AM
So, on a slightly related note, is it OK to record the video and audio via an onboard webcam from the laptop ? tongue.gif Because I feel like recording some videos now, BUT, I don't have any camera to record, except the webcam.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 4 2014, 11:40 AM
Instructor
Mertay - that's exactly the cam I have. Unfortunately I'm not able to stream full quality thruogh live chats but it gives really nice quality and i think it's a very good price to quality relation. I also didn't wanted to go for "beginner guitar" price level wink.gif Cam works very well smile.gif

QUOTE (Yash @ Jan 4 2014, 11:00 AM) *
So, on a slightly related note, is it OK to record the video and audio via an onboard webcam from the laptop ? tongue.gif Because I feel like recording some videos now, BUT, I don't have any camera to record, except the webcam.

Laptop webcam is ok if You ain't got any better Yash smile.gif Just make sure You have descent lightening. In case of video/photography a good ligth is a 75% of the job. Try to record in a daylight as often as possible and even those built-in cams from notebooks will do the job smile.gif

+Quote Post
Lexman
Jan 4 2014, 11:41 AM
Learning Roadie
I got a Logitech HD Webcam C525 for christmas, you can check my profile for the latest videos I have recorded with it.
It's a good webcam but the logitech software included keeps crashing. I use open broadcaster software instead (free) and I record the sound via yamaha preamp THR10 and Reaper.
The sound quality of the webcam is good for voice recording, but pretty bad for recording an instrument smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 4 2014, 12:07 PM
Thanks everybody! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jan 4 2014, 12:30 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
the Logitech webcam you posted is the cam I use for quick recordings (like in my bootcamp thread with Todd), it works great with room lighting.
For my green screen videos, I use my laptop with integrated webcam, which also works great when I put on some additional lights.
So Mertay, buy this cam and Yash, use your integrated cam.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
eMGie
Jan 4 2014, 12:52 PM
I use Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 for my videos and I'm pretty happy with the results. smile.gif

You can see them here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MJShred

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 4 2014, 03:39 PM
Instructor
From my own experience I can say that Logitech Webcams are really good. You will be able to do all the things that you are planning so go for it and start recording videos! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 11 2014, 06:21 PM
Hey everyone smile.gif

Since the price difference was so small I went with the upper model C310, I think its only plus is having a better auto-light function.

This function seems to be using the hardware, it works pretty good considering the lighting in the room is currently bad but the downside is it doesn't capture movement as good as when the auto-light is off (movements gets shady like ghost effect? tongue.gif)

Finally I'd only like to ask if anyone knows a good (if possibly free smile.gif ) video recording program that has good auto-light correction? I'd like to test for myself to see whats the best option when recording at room light (since most of the time I have a job or stuff to do on day time besides guitar sad.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 11 2014, 10:06 PM
Instructor
Your webcam comes with some software. IT makes You able to record vis and gives pretty nice adjustment options smile.gif Before looking for external software take a look at the logitech soft smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 11 2014, 10:14 PM
This is a good time to suggest that you actually buy a few cheap lights (clip on lights, work lights, etc.) just to get started trying to light your setup so that when you go to record, you just turn on your lights and go smile.gif

I leave all of my lights setup ( I use a lod of LED based lights) and I have a remote control that turns the power to them on and off. These are cheap too.

With just 2 or three cheap work lights, you can get good light on your videos and keep them from looking like about 90 percent of the poorly lit, grainy, videos that one sees on youtube. You've got your cam! Just add some cheap lights and bingo!

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 11 2014, 12:21 PM) *
Hey everyone smile.gif

Since the price difference was so small I went with the upper model C310, I think its only plus is having a better auto-light function.

This function seems to be using the hardware, it works pretty good considering the lighting in the room is currently bad but the downside is it doesn't capture movement as good as when the auto-light is off (movements gets shady like ghost effect? tongue.gif )

Finally I'd only like to ask if anyone knows a good (if possibly free smile.gif ) video recording program that has good auto-light correction? I'd like to test for myself to see whats the best option when recording at room light (since most of the time I have a job or stuff to do on day time besides guitar sad.gif )

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 12 2014, 01:06 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 11 2014, 09:06 PM) *
Your webcam comes with some software. IT makes You able to record vis and gives pretty nice adjustment options smile.gif Before looking for external software take a look at the logitech soft smile.gif

Ah thanks smile.gif I previously installed the driver and the main program but didn't notice the extras as they needed to be downloaded tongue.gif installing them now smile.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 11 2014, 09:14 PM) *
This is a good time to suggest that you actually buy a few cheap lights (clip on lights, work lights, etc.) just to get started trying to light your setup so that when you go to record, you just turn on your lights and go smile.gif

I leave all of my lights setup ( I use a lod of LED based lights) and I have a remote control that turns the power to them on and off. These are cheap too.

With just 2 or three cheap work lights, you can get good light on your videos and keep them from looking like about 90 percent of the poorly lit, grainy, videos that one sees on youtube. You've got your cam! Just add some cheap lights and bingo!

Todd

Thanks smile.gif hopefully I'll make my tests this week and soon share something to get further opinions. Led's are a good idea as such custom solutions are rather affordable where I live, I'll keep this in mind smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 21 2014, 01:45 AM
which program renders to .mp4? smile.gif

The webcam saves default .wma

The freeone I got with the webcam (magix) save only .wma (can edit video length but can't on audio)
Latest reaper can do .mkv (and .avi but it gives error) but crashes if any editing done smile.gif

incase needed my workflow is I record directly from the webcam program thats on the taskbar and record guitar from daw, seems to work fine after 1-2 adjustments. Current problem is combining sound+video, edit and render, pm's are also welcome biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 21 2014, 09:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 21 2014, 12:45 AM) *
which program renders to .mp4? smile.gif

The webcam saves default .wma

The freeone I got with the webcam (magix) save only .wma (can edit video length but can't on audio)
Latest reaper can do .mkv (and .avi but it gives error) but crashes if any editing done smile.gif

incase needed my workflow is I record directly from the webcam program thats on the taskbar and record guitar from daw, seems to work fine after 1-2 adjustments. Current problem is combining sound+video, edit and render, pm's are also welcome biggrin.gif

The quickest and handiest way to do it: http://www.convertfiles.com/convert/video/WMV-to-MP4.html

It usually helps a lot when you need a quick solution wink.gif Let me know how it works, ok?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 21 2014, 10:23 AM
Instructor
Besides that converser that Cosmin suggested, you also have software like Vegas and Adobe Premiere that are great to edit video, audio, add effects and export to endless formats. However, if you just want to convert files, the converser will do the job perfectly.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 21 2014, 12:12 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 21 2014, 08:39 AM) *
The quickest and handiest way to do it: http://www.convertfiles.com/convert/video/WMV-to-MP4.html

It usually helps a lot when you need a quick solution wink.gif Let me know how it works, ok?

Needs a coffee break but yeah it worked thanks smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 21 2014, 09:23 AM) *
Besides that converser that Cosmin suggested, you also have software like Vegas and Adobe Premiere that are great to edit video, audio, add effects and export to endless formats. However, if you just want to convert files, the converser will do the job perfectly.

Thanks smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 21 2014, 02:16 PM
Instructor
Good points by Gabriel and Cosmin. You can try any on-line converter. Unfortunately I haven't found and option to record mp4 directly from this webcam.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 21 2014, 09:02 PM
I checked a lot of freeware today before going a "different route" and realized the video edit guys don't have something like our reaper. Pretty much all freeware feature non-linear editing which to me makes no sense. Anyway, problem solved...

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jan 21 2014, 09:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 22 2014, 08:54 AM
Instructor
Glad to have been of help mate - sometimes, when I am away from my studio PC, I find it handy to use all sorts of online format transformers, for a wide range of objects. Another very trustworthy and efficient one would be: http://media.io/

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:47 AM