Alternate Picking Question
KenA
Dec 3 2013, 02:01 PM
GMC:er
Hi ... when practicing alternate picking I've notice that if I isolate hands and eg. do just the right hand picking. I feel it's way more difficult than with both hands (in particular when crossing strings, be it inside or outside picking movement.

So my question for the more experienced ones is: praticing isolated hands is a good idea?

ps. not sure but I think Troy Stetina or Michael Angelo talked about it once???

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
===KenA===
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 3 2013, 02:36 PM
Instructor
From my point of view it's not a good idea - I mean 50% of problems with alternate picking is hands sync itself. Also left hand makes a lot of muting job. I think there is no need of making things harder then they already are. Left hand is an important advantage for muthing strings while strings skipping. When You go to some insane speed You'll see there is no time to make some job for the left hand too.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
KenA
Dec 3 2013, 04:38 PM
Thanks Darius Wave,

Actually what you said make sense, plus the little time I spent with isolated picking I've notice some pain in my right arm that can lead to tendinitis so I think it's better not to do it. and probably sync issues may be the main reason for not playing fast passages properly ( not actually the speed )

--------------------
===KenA===

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 3 2013, 07:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 3 2013, 01:36 PM) *
From my point of view it's not a good idea - I mean 50% of problems with alternate picking is hands sync itself. Also left hand makes a lot of muting job. I think there is no need of making things harder then they already are. Left hand is an important advantage for muthing strings while strings skipping. When You go to some insane speed You'll see there is no time to make some job for the left hand too.

Yes, I agree smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 3 2013, 08:32 PM
Instructor
Great smile.gif Hope to see some of Your progress soon smile.gif

Thanx for the support Ben! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 3 2013, 08:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 3 2013, 10:36 AM) *

Another vote for Darius here! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 4 2013, 03:44 AM
Very well said!! Darius is spot on with the answer here. Great advice.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 3 2013, 08:36 AM) *

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 4 2013, 11:35 AM
Instructor
thanx guys!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:22 PM