Apprentice Bushido Task 34
Ben Higgins
Sep 14 2012, 11:46 AM
Instructor
Greetings, brave disciples !! Today, I present you with a new challenge.. so there's no time to rest and build snowmen and throw snowballs at each other !!

Task 34: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...c-displacement/

I want you guys to only learn up until 0:30 of the main video. The licks are quite a lot to take in and memorise. I thought twice about presenting you with this one but in the end I decided that you guys could handle it smile.gif

I'm interested in you learning more about rhythm displacement. This is essentially when you play a sequence of notes which stays the same but the start point of the lick keeps occurring on different accents of the beat, instead of on beat 1 for example.

You would get this kind of effect if you played a repeating lick that had an odd number of notes in it, like 7. Because the number is odd, it will overlap the 4 bars in a beat, and the start point will shift to a different beat every time. It's quite a head twister at first but you might find it easier if you don't think about it too much and just learn the shapes and feel it.

Stuff like this comes in very useful when playing solos. You can take a very basic, boring phrase and make it sound so much more exciting by the way you place it over the beat.

Enjoy !!

Deadline is next Friday 21st September or I will hide your guitars and replace them with a bass instead ! ph34r.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Sep 17 2012, 08:54 PM
Experienced Rock Star & Challenge Star
Well, I sure don't want a bass, but this is a tough exercise. The big problem is the picking hand. At 100bpm (the first backing track), it's fast. I can't imagine being able to play it full speed.
I've been playing it with a metronome, starting at 60 bpm, in order to understand the placement of each phrase and gradually speeded up. 95 bpm is the fastest I can play it clean so far.
Let's see wher I can push it. unsure.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
�Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.�
― Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 18 2012, 08:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Sep 17 2012, 08:54 PM) *
Well, I sure don't want a bass, but this is a tough exercise. The big problem is the picking hand. At 100bpm (the first backing track), it's fast. I can't imagine being able to play it full speed.
I've been playing it with a metronome, starting at 60 bpm, in order to understand the placement of each phrase and gradually speeded up. 95 bpm is the fastest I can play it clean so far.
Let's see wher I can push it. unsure.gif

Yeah, it could do with having some slower backing tracks ! smile.gif

Don't worry if it's just a recording with a click instead of a backing track. As long as you're getting the benefits of the rhythm displacement lick ideas !

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Sep 20 2012, 06:41 PM
Experienced Rock Star & Challenge Star
Donut time !
I couldn't make it at 120 bpm. Maybe this week-end if I keep working on it, but the third lick is really tough at that speed.
It's not as clean as I would have liked, but I didn't think I could go so fast 7 days ago smile.gif
Cheers

http://soundcloud.com/grindguer/pentatonic-runs-rhythmic/s-lcJ1i

--------------------
�Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.�
― Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 21 2012, 08:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Sep 20 2012, 06:41 PM) *
Donut time !
I couldn't make it at 120 bpm. Maybe this week-end if I keep working on it, but the third lick is really tough at that speed.
It's not as clean as I would have liked, but I didn't think I could go so fast 7 days ago smile.gif
Cheers

http://soundcloud.com/grindguer/pentatonic-runs-rhythmic/s-lcJ1i

Good stuff my friend, you are worthy of the prize of one Donut of Celebration !!

It's always nice when you find out that you can do more than you think you were capable of smile.gif

+Quote Post
zoom
Sep 21 2012, 12:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Gee tuff one this week. I've got 90 bpm I've played up around 105 but not clean and can be hit and miss. These licks need to be played fast to sound good so there's more work for me. dry.gif
Good work Grind - I thought earlier in the week I'd have a good go at coming close to your take - not this week
http://soundcloud.com/zoomify/pentatonic-runs-rhythmic

+Quote Post
gregc1
Sep 21 2012, 09:09 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Just posted in the Warrior thread but wanted to check in here as well since I have been working the Apprentice Tasks the last couple weeks.

Grind, I haven't forgotten you and am pretty much ready to record the task you assigned. I'll make it a point to at least get an audio recording up this weekend. The only part holding me back is the second to last legato section that is descending starting at 13-12-10. Descending legato using my pinky and ring finger sequentially still feels totally weird and out of control for me.

Also Ben, for this task I was hoping to get the whole thing down and do a video for the REC but I may just get down the minimum for this week so I can move forward and get back up to date. I know it doesn't matter but I hate falling behind and I'll be able to dedicate myself much better going forward now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 22 2012, 09:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ Sep 21 2012, 12:38 PM) *
Gee tuff one this week. I've got 90 bpm I've played up around 105 but not clean and can be hit and miss. These licks need to be played fast to sound good so there's more work for me. dry.gif
Good work Grind - I thought earlier in the week I'd have a good go at coming close to your take - not this week
http://soundcloud.com/zoomify/pentatonic-runs-rhythmic

Hail, brother Zoom !! Thank you for your offering smile.gif

Let's start with the minor criticisms and then get to the good bits...

The first 2 licks are just suffering from a little bit of timing drift.. the first one is slightly in front and the second one is ever so slightly lagging behind.

However, your hand synchronisation / cleanliness of your picking is excellent. Also the timing of the 3rd one is spot on biggrin.gif

I feel like what we need to give you and GG is some more things to give you a bit of speed, would you both say ??

I'll devise something especially for you !!! ph34r.gif

QUOTE (gregc1 @ Sep 21 2012, 09:09 PM) *
Just posted in the Warrior thread but wanted to check in here as well since I have been working the Apprentice Tasks the last couple weeks.

Grind, I haven't forgotten you and am pretty much ready to record the task you assigned. I'll make it a point to at least get an audio recording up this weekend. The only part holding me back is the second to last legato section that is descending starting at 13-12-10. Descending legato using my pinky and ring finger sequentially still feels totally weird and out of control for me.

Also Ben, for this task I was hoping to get the whole thing down and do a video for the REC but I may just get down the minimum for this week so I can move forward and get back up to date. I know it doesn't matter but I hate falling behind and I'll be able to dedicate myself much better going forward now.

No worries at all, Greg.. Bushido should always be seen as a pleasure and a choice, never an obligation.. life happens !! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Sep 22 2012, 09:15 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 22 2012, 09:45 AM
Instructor
Ok Guys, check out the new Task for you here !!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=46132

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:12 PM