Practise Diversions !
Ben Higgins
Sep 15 2014, 12:01 PM
Instructor
I picked up my guitar with the intention of working on some complex material for future lessons and ended up playing around with major7th funky chord changes !?! Which is something I don't really do.. rolleyes.gif

Sometimes we intend to practise one thing but end up going in another direction entirely ! How often does this happen to you ? When was the last time ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mith
Sep 15 2014, 02:27 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
this pretty much sums up all my practice lol

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 15 2014, 04:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Sep 15 2014, 02:27 PM) *
this pretty much sums up all my practice lol

Good answer !!! laugh.gif

Thread closed tongue.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 15 2014, 04:56 PM
GMC:er
Constantly!
I don't let it bother me because almost every time it happens it leads me to something that ultimately serves me better in the long run. If I needed to work on something important (read: for money), I get right to it afterwards and usually complete it faster and betterand with more enthusiasm than I would have anyway.

This relates to that other thread about inspiration and not feeling bored with playing.
When I have a new project to practice for, I know that invariably it will lead me to something completely different at some point in the practice schedule. I look forward to that.
*The only bummer is when I truly have no time to divert and happen upon some cool mistake I made or odd chord change and I can't take the time to mess with it.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 15 2014, 05:03 PM

+Quote Post
Mith
Sep 15 2014, 05:40 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 15 2014, 11:56 PM) *
Constantly!
I don't let it bother me because almost every time it happens it leads me to something that ultimately serves me better in the long run. If I needed to work on something important (read: for money), I get right to it afterwards and usually complete it faster and betterand with more enthusiasm than I would have anyway.

This relates to that other thread about inspiration and not feeling bored with playing.
When I have a new project to practice for, I know that invariably it will lead me to something completely different at some point in the practice schedule. I look forward to that.
*The only bummer is when I truly have no time to divert and happen upon some cool mistake I made or odd chord change and I can't take the time to mess with it.

I try and focus on one or two things but I also look at anytime my hands are one a guitar then I'm improving. whether its my ears get a little better or I do that double stop in a metal solo that I remembered from some blues thing I was messing about with a week or so ago. I think sometimes these diversions lead us into new grounds which all in all gives everyone their own unique sound.

As soon as it becomes a chore then thats when progress slows down

Tho in saying that if you have one part of your playing that keeps holding you back then you really should be focusing on that.

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 15 2014, 07:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 15 2014, 04:56 PM) *

Yes ! That is a real bummer.. you don't have to time to memorise it or explore it ><

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 15 2014, 08:14 PM
GMC:er
I usually try to write it down or do a rough phone recording or something but the real issue is that I've lost or by-passed the moment of inspiration.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:54 PM