> Quick Licks #62 - Shredding The Blues Scale
Todd Simpson
post Jan 12 2019, 08:56 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

In this bit we are going to use the BLUES SCALE for a bit of picking practice. This drill is designed to help you figure out if you like alternate or econ picking. You can use one or both. Let your fingers tell you what works. Any strike pattern is ok as long as you play the notes listed. Also, this has a one finger bend. Watch the vid and notice that I"m using just a single finger for the slight bend and vibrato. I end with a single finger and use vibrato on it as well. Try to see if you can get control over subtle bends and vibrato using just one finger. If not, that's ok, just give it a shot smile.gif

Attached File  62.gp5 ( 1.62K ) Number of downloads: 7

Attached Image

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS: This is a great way to get started on your shredding!!

Hit me up with any questions!
Todd

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 12 2019, 10:07 PM
Post #2

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Take 1 up for scrutiny Todd

https://youtu.be/MQwH3JURmsA

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 13 2019, 06:01 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

BINGO!!! That's it wink.gif It's a very bluesy lick with a bit of single finger work thrown in. Most folks typically use two or three fingers for bends but it's sure possible to use a single finger and then you get a lot more options open. If one always uses more than one finger, it's tough to switch positions
in time to reach other bits. Being able to do vibrato/bending on a single finger lets you land quickly on another note and follow up one vibrato note with another with no gap. Well played! you just..
LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 12 2019, 05:07 PM) *
Take 1 up for scrutiny Todd

https://youtu.be/MQwH3JURmsA

+Quote Post
onetabmat
post Jan 23 2019, 06:44 PM
Post #4

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 23.212

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 24 2019, 08:22 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

BINGO!! That's what I"m looking for here. A nice run up and then using a single finger to make the bend. Keeping control of a bend with a single finger is not easy. It's key though for being able to create expressive solos. You will find that being able to bend and vibrato with just one finger allows your other fingers the ability to get ready for the next note you want to play where as if you need all your fingers for bending/vibrato, you have to have a small gap before moving on which is not always what one wants. Well played! You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!*Also you remain the TOP DAWG and Highest Ranking GMCer EVER in Quick Licks!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Jan 23 2019, 01:44 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 24 2019, 08:24 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th February 2019 - 02:26 PM