2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Hmm ... Is It Possible?, Violen ... awesome?
Absolutely-Absur...
Jan 19 2009, 04:29 AM
GMC:er
Hmm ... I went to a music shop recently and decided to shred nonsense on a violen and upon hearing the nonsense ... I realized just how beautiful the instrument sounds ... I'm definetly going to explore further and might actually integrate it to my metal band haha but I was just wondering ... Does anybody here in GMC know how to play violen ... and How possible is a series lesson on violen ... or cello ... or classical instruments?

But guitar remains my love hehe back to my mistress haha

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Absolutely-Absurd: Jan 19 2009, 04:30 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Jan 19 2009, 04:31 AM
I think violin strings are tuned to 5ths so it's different than guitar but that's all I can say... Not sure how accurate that info is though.

Violin is cool though, it would be nice to learn.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 19 2009, 08:29 AM
Listen to My Dying Bride - you'll get the catch how it could sound with a really dark and heavy sounds... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Jan 19 2009, 11:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Enucleation @ Jan 19 2009, 04:31 AM) *
I think violin strings are tuned to 5ths so it's different than guitar but that's all I can say... Not sure how accurate that info is though.

Violin is cool though, it would be nice to learn.

You are right, violin is tuned in perfect fifths smile.gif

And it's not an easy instrument to learn, since you need to develop good relative pitch. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Jan 19 2009, 11:23 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
If you want great violen music just listen to Korpiklaani. smile.gif

--------------------
Homer J. Simpson: Rockstars is there anything they dont know?

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jan 20 2009, 12:20 AM
Jazz Instructor
I used to play violin when I was 9, pretty hard to play. I played it for 2 year. All we did in that time was just first position, and there are 7 positions. So, it's way harder then guitar.

But!

Because of its short neck and 4.5 octaves on 4 strings it gives you tremendous technical capabilities, you can do unimaginable things, crossing the strings is easier, you don't have those wide stretches(With one big stretch you can cover whole neck:) I mean one octave in a stretch)
All that of course when you learn to play it.

It's kind a limited to classical and jazz, doesn't fit in anything else maybe some Irish folk:)

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jan 20 2009, 12:35 AM
Instructor
I've always wanted to learn to play the violin smile.gif .. especially after being a My Dying Bride fan for ages
Methinks i will grab one if i see a cheap one smile.gif

Are there violins with frets? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 20 2009, 08:50 AM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Jan 20 2009, 12:35 AM) *
especially after being a My Dying Bride fan for ages

that's exactly what I said above, MDB mastered composing violin into their songs to the limits... biggrin.gif

--------------------
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Jan 20 2009, 09:04 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Also flogging molly uses violin but that's like Vasilije says Irish folk. smile.gif

--------------------
Homer J. Simpson: Rockstars is there anything they dont know?

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 20 2009, 08:33 PM
Instructor
Nothing but love for the violin from here too, I've always wanted to learn to play one.

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Oxac
Jan 20 2009, 08:37 PM
I find violin ridicolously easy to play... I dunno but I started a week ago and I can play Hungarian Dance by Brahms and a couple of swedish folk songs already...

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 20 2009, 08:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Oxac @ Jan 20 2009, 09:37 PM) *
I find violin ridicolously easy to play... I dunno but I started a week ago and I can play Hungarian Dance by Brahms and a couple of swedish folk songs already...

You don't find it very hard to "find" the notes on the neck? I've always wondered how hard that really is smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Mandos
Jan 20 2009, 09:03 PM
The problem with the violin is that in most cases it sounds horrible unless there's a really talented person playing. wink.gif Just my 0.02$

--------------------
[color="#808080"]Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Gothic with EMG 81 and 85, Crafter Acoustic, ESP LTD F-205

+Quote Post
Oxac
Jan 20 2009, 09:36 PM
QUOTE (Toni Suominen @ Jan 20 2009, 08:40 PM) *
You don't find it very hard to "find" the notes on the neck? I've always wondered how hard that really is smile.gif

No not really, I find it very easy. There are two things that are pretty hard though, finding the exactly right pitch instantly (which is done with muscular memory, so my ear can't substitute years of training ofc.) and playing very clean.

Well, I wouldn't be able to sightread using a violin... I just play what I hear in my head and since it's such of a new and marvelous little hobby of mine, I don't really care if I'm going to be able to sightread or not biggrin.gif

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 21 2009, 12:06 AM
QUOTE (Oxac @ Jan 20 2009, 09:36 PM) *
No not really, I find it very easy. There are two things that are pretty hard though, finding the exactly right pitch instantly

Isn't that what Toni asked you?.... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jan 21 2009, 12:06 AM
Jazz Instructor
I think that you are talented Oxac, congratulations. I still recommend you to take some lessons, it will improve your playing fast, it's still tricky instrument to play, there are lots of rules, there are no frets and you have to be very very precise, if you don't want to sound out of tune or something!

Yes, I agree that violin fits in metal music, but there is no such a thing as "metal style" for violin, it's still classical!

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 21 2009, 03:29 PM
Instructor
I got a violin on ebay a couple years ago.. Just anted to pick it up and teach myself. Never did much out of it...
I found it really hard to master, you need to be super precise!
But this thread kind of motivated to try again.. :-)
Thanks!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Oxac
Jan 21 2009, 03:36 PM
QUOTE (utak3r @ Jan 21 2009, 12:06 AM) *
Isn't that what Toni asked you?.... rolleyes.gif

No he didn't, he asked if it was hard to find them, I think not. I just believe that it's hard to find the exactly right frequency instantly. But it's like that with guitar as well. Check how often you play exactly in tune, you'll be surprised by the result!

@ Vasilije - I'm thinking about going to a music conservatory, I might as well date a violin student *grins*

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 21 2009, 03:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Oxac @ Jan 21 2009, 09:36 AM) *
No he didn't, he asked if it was hard to find them, I think not. I just believe that it's hard to find the exactly right frequency instantly. But it's like that with guitar as well. Check how often you play exactly in tune, you'll be surprised by the result!

@ Vasilije - I'm thinking about going to a music conservatory, I might as well date a violin student *grins*

haha! :-)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 21 2009, 04:23 PM
QUOTE (Oxac @ Jan 21 2009, 03:36 PM) *
No he didn't, he asked if it was hard to find them, I think not. I just believe that it's hard to find the exactly right frequency instantly.

So my English understanding doesn't help me to see a difference... for me it's the same wink.gif Maybe try in Polish ;p

--------------------
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:15 PM