What Else Do I Need.
Tjchep
Jul 18 2008, 04:23 AM
GMC:er
Okay, So I'm really wanting to get my home studio.. "Complete", I need a new computer, Going to stick with windows for now, just for how cheap they are on ebay at the moment.

What do you guys reccomend for the DAW? I was thinking about either Cubase or Albeton Live.

And what about for virtual instruments? I was thinking of just going all out and grabbing the Native Instrument Komplete 5 bundle. It's a bit expencive. But For what I would be purchasing from other companys individually I think it would probably equal the same price.

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=komplete5

I have my firewire 1814 for recording, and I would just use guitar rig 3 for demos until I get an actual adequate recording rig.

As for midi Controller it's either going to be the

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Akai-MPK49-Key...018-i1380175.gc
or
http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-Axiom-...630-i1154832.gc

It seems that I'm more than set.. But anything else I could use would be appreciated. Just trying to price this all out.

Thanks. smile.gif

tj

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Jul 18 2008, 04:26 AM

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 18 2008, 04:48 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Sounds like your well on your way man. Have you considered a good set of studio monitors? They really make a difference in what you are hearing. If you haven't, I recommend a set that are powered so no amp needed and they will be matched to each other.

Good luck bro, and I think you already sound great. Keep rocking!

Steve

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jul 18 2008, 05:03 AM
Instructor
The Komplete package will get you everything you need of instruments and more.
But good monitors are cruicial for a sucsessul recording setup. Alesis got some good powered ones that wont cost you an arm.

What soundcard are you planning to use?

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jul 18 2008, 05:16 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Jul 18 2008, 05:03 AM) *
The Komplete package will get you everything you need of instruments and more.
But good monitors are cruicial for a sucsessul recording setup. Alesis got some good powered ones that wont cost you an arm.

What soundcard are you planning to use?

Oh.. Going to get the KRK rokit 8's or Behringher truth

And a M-audio firewire 1814.

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Jul 18 2008, 05:17 AM

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 18 2008, 01:25 PM
Instructor
All of the things said bellow is a subjective opinion from me, and I ask somebody who has more experience with studio gear, primarily tonymiro, Andrew and others to correct me if I'm wrong

In terms of Cubase vs. Abletone Live, the choice is obvious - go for Cubase definitely, and version 4.

I will agree with Trond here, and go further maybe to suggest that although NI Komplete is a great product with lots of software bundled, most of the time you will be using only a few of its options. IMHO the benefit is greater is you take more quality monitors like Adam or Tannoy and save some money on what you need from the VST's the most. What is essenital are drums, bass and pad VST's and secondary are piano, organs and possibly an analog synth VST - depending on what you actually need of course.

As for MIDI controller, I think both are great, but Axiom seems like a way to go. Maybe even Axiom 49 is enough, because 49 keys are really all that you need to lay down MIDI. If you don't play piano professionally, 61 keys is a waste of space and money IMO.

Also the big concern with (most) MIDI controllers is compatibility with DAWs. If you work with Abletone Live, M-Audio controllers will be very easy to map, but on Cubase it is very complicated to map the commands. Cubase 4 is said to have upgraded controller support for easy mapping, but I didn't check to see how it works so far. It is crucial to buy Cubase 4 FIRST, and research supported mapping functions and controllers in order to see what controller will work the best. If you do otherwise you risk to buy expensive piece of gear that you will not use as a controller.

Congratulations on shopping man, good luck! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jul 18 2008, 01:28 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:02 AM