7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Matt23's Mtp Thread, All assignments and uploads here
Pedja Simovic
Sep 4 2009, 06:14 PM
Instructor
Hi Matt!

This is place where I will give you assignments and upload videos. You will do the same starting tonight. Bookmark it, subscribe to it as it will be easier to follow when I post new things in!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 5 2009, 11:01 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Bookmarked and subscribed. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 5 2009, 12:13 PM
Instructor
Lets get started Matt!

In your guitar CV you mentioned your main goal is for me to teach you how to play Jazz and Fusion music. With this main goal, there were numerous minor goals that will eventually lead to major one. I also like that you stated which technique area needs work (alternate picking).

For your 1st assignment I have some alternate picking exercises (5 of them) as well as theory reading assignment.

Here is your 1st assignment :

- Record each lick in 3 different tempos! Make sure tempos are at least 15-20 bpm difference.
- Try to show me your maximum tempo for these licks, I want you to push yourself here!
- Feel free to ask for more exercises if these are too easy for you!
- Upload your takes in this thread. Ideally I would like you to do videos, put them on Youtube and embed them here.

Regarding practice schedule, I think you should do this an hour every day if you want to move tempos faster. Even better, do it 45-50 minutes with brake of 10 - 15 minutes. If you do it 50 minutes that gives you 10 minutes per exercise! Plenty of time to learn them all in slow, regular and fast tempo before recording it all.

Time limit for 1st assignment would be a week from now. If you manage to do all the exercises before that, I will put more exercises here for you!

Theory reading :

- I would like you to read my posts from links provided below.
- Once you read it all, memorize 3 and 4 part harmony in C major scale.
- Learn to apply scale degrees rather then numbers ( I in C major is C, IV in C is F etc).
- Write out in this thread all notes for 3 and 4 part harmony in C major scale.

This is an extra assignment so I won't put any time limit on this one yet. I want you to first do your alternate picking assignment but you can in the meanwhile read these posts and learn a lot from them.

Here are the links :

Cadences

Major scale harmony and chord functions

Let me know if you have any question Matt. Don't hesitate to ask, I am here to help man!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Exercise_1_Alternate.pdf ( 103.34K ) Number of downloads: 108
Attached File  Exercise_2_Alternate.pdf ( 104.72K ) Number of downloads: 99
Attached File  Exercise_3_Alternate.pdf ( 106.53K ) Number of downloads: 102
Attached File  Exercise_4_Alternate.pdf ( 66.74K ) Number of downloads: 90
Attached File  Exercise_5_Alternate.pdf ( 70.31K ) Number of downloads: 96

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 5 2009, 12:28 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Ok Pedja, thanks for your quick response. smile.gif I have a few questions though.

First, in the first exercise, there is a pattern that uses the 3rd, 5th, and 7th frets. In the tab you say, I should use index on the 3rd, ring on the 5th, and pinky on the 7th. I find it much easier to play the 5th fret with my middle finger though. Can I just do that, or should I try to play it the way the tab says?

Second, my access to a camera is quite limited, so is it better that I post my assignments later with video, or sooner with just audio?

Third, what sort of speed should I practice the exercises at. The fastest speed I can play them cleanly or a slower speed or what?

Matt smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 5 2009, 12:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Sep 5 2009, 01:28 PM) *
Ok Pedja, thanks for your quick response. smile.gif I have a few questions though.

First, in the first exercise, there is a pattern that uses the 3rd, 5th, and 7th frets. In the tab you say, I should use index on the 3rd, ring on the 5th, and pinky on the 7th. I find it much easier to play the 5th fret with my middle finger though. Can I just do that, or should I try to play it the way the tab says?

Second, my access to a camera is quite limited, so is it better that I post my assignments later with video, or sooner with just audio?

Third, what sort of speed should I practice the exercises at. The fastest speed I can play them cleanly or a slower speed or what?

Matt smile.gif

Great to get your response so quick! I am glad to see you are already working on things smile.gif
To answer your questions...

1) Use fingerings that you are most comfortable with to play faster tempos! My fingerings was just suggestions but you can change that no problem.
2) If you can't record video at the moment, go ahead and post audio. Remember you have one week for this assignment. That should give you plenty of time to practice those exercises and get them up to tempo before doing video.
3) You should do 3 tempos. First tempo should be very slow and its basically warm up tempo. Second tempo should be in somewhere between a warm up and good effort. Last tempo should be your highest possible tempo where you can play clean without mistakes!

I want you to record these exercises with the metronome click in the background!

I will post my takes for all 5 exercises soon and it should help you a lot when doing yours.

Let me know if you have any more questions Matt!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 5 2009, 12:37 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Ok just to clarify about the tempo question, are you saying if I practice like you said I should, that I should split the 10 minutes for each exercise into 3 tempos, so 3 and a bit minutes for each tempo?

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 5 2009, 12:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Sep 5 2009, 01:37 PM) *
Ok just to clarify about the tempo question, are you saying if I practice like you said I should, that I should split the 10 minutes for each exercise into 3 tempos, so 3 and a bit minutes for each tempo?

Actually that was 10 minutes for each exercises. 5 exercise x 10 minutes each = 50 minutes. So you finish the routine in less then hour with 10 minutes spare to do some theory reading !

This is my suggestion as I can't tell you practice 3 hours this! If you have extra time, do more then 50 minutes. If you have 3 hours, do 3 sets of 50 minutes with 10 minute brakes in between each set.

I can give you suggestions for tempos. For example 40bpm, 80bpm and 100 bpm! Or 60 bpm, 90 bpm and 120 bpm!

See what you can do wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 5 2009, 02:19 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
3 Part Harmony:

C Ionian - C, E, G
D Dorian - D, F, A
E Phrygian - E, G, B
F Lydian - F, A, C
G Mixolydian - G, B, D
A Aeolian - A, C, E
B Locrian - B, D, F

4 Part Harmony:

C Ionian - C, E, G, B
D Dorian - D, F, A, C
E Phrygian - E, G, B, D
F Lydian - F, A, C, E
G Mixolydian - G, B, D, F
A Aeolian - A, C, E, G
B Locrian - B, D, F, A

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 5 2009, 02:21 PM
Instructor
Awesome Matt!
Now just add scale degrees before notes (I C major or C maj7 = C Ionian etc).
You can then do another key, G major for example! Try to figure out if G major has sharps or flats wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 5 2009, 02:54 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
3 Part Harmony:

I G Ionian - G, B, D (G)
II A Dorian - A, C, E (Am)
III B Phrygian - B, D, F# (Bm)
IV C Lydian - C, E, G ©
V D Mixolydian - D, F#, A (D)
VI E Aeolian - E, G, B (Em)
VII F# Locrian - F#, A, C (F#dim)

4 Part Harmony:

I G Ionian - G, B, D, F# (Gmaj7)
II A Dorian - A, C, E, G (Amin7)
III B Phrygian - B, D, F#, A (Bmin7)
IV C Lydian - C, E, G, B (Cmaj7)
V D Mixolydian - D, F#, A, C (D7)
VI E Aeolian - E, G, B, D (Emin7)
VII F# Locrian - F#, A, C, E (F#min7b5)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 5 2009, 03:01 PM
Instructor
Great stuff Matt very well done!

I will give you couple of extra assignments for major scale harmony but remember you have alternate picking as your primary assignment still to do!

Here are extra keys :

1) Key of Ab major (3 and 4 part harmony with modes and scale degrees)
2) Key of B major (same as above)
3) Key of Gb major (same as above)

Let me know if you have any questions Matt smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 5 2009, 03:40 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Ok I've done 50 minutes of practice on the exercises, so I'm posting them here, with 3 speeds like you said.

Also if you don't mind reading it, I'm going to say how I did the practice, just to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

First I found the maximum speeds I could play each exercises cleanly. I then went down 20bpm and 20bpm again to get the speeds I would practice each exercise at. For exercise's 1, 2 and 3, the speeds were 60, 80 and 100. For exercise four the speeds were 80, 100 and 120. For exercise 5 the speeds were, 50, 70 and 90.

For each exercise, I played the first speed for 3 minutes, the second speed for the next three minutes, then the third speed for the remaining 4 minutes. After the third exercise I had a ten minute break were I read about cadences and wrote the 3 and 4 part harmonies of C major. I then went back and did the last two exercises.

So if you could tell me if that's a good way to practice that'd be great. And thanks for all the time and effort you're putting in to mentor me. smile.gif

Just finished reading both the posts you assigned, and I've got a few questions.

First could you give me a clear definition of what a Cadence is, because I always thought it was the last two chords of a phrase. I.e. Perfect cadence: V-I Plagal Cadence: IV-I Interrupted Cadence: V-VI etc. In your post though I got the impression that they were chord progressions.

Second, I understood everything in the Chord Substitution post (I think), but I don't quite get why you would use it. I mean if you substitute the tonic I, for VI, then surely you've changed the tonic to the relative minor. So if you could give me an example of how to use chord substituion I think that would help me.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Alternate_Exercise_1.mp3 ( 755.72K ) Number of downloads: 98
Attached File  Alternate_Exercise_2.mp3 ( 757.68K ) Number of downloads: 86
Attached File  Alternate_Exercise_3.mp3 ( 904.79K ) Number of downloads: 105
Attached File  Alternate_Exercise_4.mp3 ( 369K ) Number of downloads: 83
Attached File  Alternate_Exercise_5.mp3 ( 530.58K ) Number of downloads: 85

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 5 2009, 03:46 PM
Instructor
Matt I read everything, downloaded and hear all the exercises.

Let me first say that I want you to play same 3 tempos for all 5 exercises.

In the takes you submitted you are not playing with a click. Only Example 4 is fairly accurate and has tight phrasing. All the other takes are very loose which show that you need to work with playing with metronome more.

Since these are all 16th note based exercises, make sure that your every 4th note falls on the click! So you play 1st note, 3 more after that and 4th has to be on straight with the click boom ! smile.gif

I will post my takes with these examples and it will be much easier. Keep working on it, this is good first draft, you got them in your fingers already!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 5 2009, 04:09 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 5 2009, 03:46 PM) *
Matt I read everything, downloaded and hear all the exercises.

Let me first say that I want you to play same 3 tempos for all 5 exercises.

In the takes you submitted you are not playing with a click. Only Example 4 is fairly accurate and has tight phrasing. All the other takes are very loose which show that you need to work with playing with metronome more.

Since these are all 16th note based exercises, make sure that your every 4th note falls on the click! So you play 1st note, 3 more after that and 4th has to be on straight with the click boom ! smile.gif

I will post my takes with these examples and it will be much easier. Keep working on it, this is good first draft, you got them in your fingers already!

Ok, I'll play them all at 60, 80 and 100.

I am playing with a click in all of them, but yeh my rhythm placement definitely needs work. I'll try and make every fourth note fall on the click when I'm practicing these with a metronome, thanks for the advice.

Thanks for listening Pedja. Should I repost these after I've practiced them a bit more. And if so when?

Ab Major

3 Part Harmony:

I Ab Ionian - Ab, C, Eb (Ab)
II Bb Dorian - Bb, Db, F (Bbm)
III C Phrygian - C, Eb, G (Cm)
IV Db Lydian - Db, F, Ab (Db)
V Eb Mixolydian - Eb, G, Ab (Eb)
VI F Aeolian - F, Ab, C (Fm)
VII G Locrian - G, Bb, Db (Gdim)

4 Part Harmony:

I Ab Ionian - Ab, C, Eb, G (Abmaj7)
II Bb Dorian - Bb, Db, F, Ab (Bbmin7)
III C Phrygian - C, Eb, G, Bb (Cmin7)
IV Db Lydian - Db, F, Ab, C (Dbmaj7)
V Eb Mixolydian - Eb, G, Ab, Db (Eb7)
VI F Aeolian - F, Ab, C, Eb (Fmin7)
VII G Locrian - G, Bb, Db, F (Gmin7b5)

B Major

3 Part Harmony:

I B Ionian - B, D#, F# (cool.gif
II C# Dorian - C#, E, G# (C#m)
III D# Phrygian - D#, F#, A# (D#m)
IV E Lydian - E, G#, B (E)
V F# Mixolydian - F#, A#, C# (F#)
VI G# Aeolian - G#, B, D# (G#min)
VII A# Locrian - A#, C#, E (A#dim)

4 Part Harmony:

I B Ionian - B, D#, F#, A# (Bmaj7)
II C# Dorian - C#, E, G#, B (C#min7)
III D# Phrygian - D#, F#, A#, C# (D#min7)
IV E Lydian - E, G#, B, D# (Emaj7)
V F# Mixolydian - F#, A#, C#, E (F#7)
VI G# Aeolian - G#, B, D#, F# (G#min7)
VII A# Locrian - A#, C#, E, G# (A#min7b5)

This post has been edited by Matt23: Sep 5 2009, 04:13 PM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 5 2009, 04:14 PM
Instructor
Great stuff Matt!

Re-post those exercises every day if you want and can. That way we can monitor progress more closely. Ideally I would like to hear within one week no mistakes in all 3 takes and video of it all smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 5 2009, 04:16 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Gb Major

3 Part Harmony:

I Gb Ionian - Gb, Bb, Db (Gb)
II Ab Dorian - Ab, Cb Eb (Abm)
III Bb Phrygian - Bb, Db, F (Bbm)
IV Cb Lydian - Cb, Eb, Gb (Cb)
V Db Mixolydian - Db, F, Ab (Db)
VI Eb Aeolian - Eb, Gb, Bb (Ebmin)
VII F Locrian - F, Ab, Cb (A#dim)

4 Part Harmony:

I Gb Ionian - Gb, Bb, Db, F (Gbmaj7)
II Ab Dorian - Ab, Cb Eb, Gb (Abmin7)
III Bb Phrygian - Bb, Db, F, Ab (Bbmin7)
IV Cb Lydian - Cb, Eb, Gb, Bb (Cbmaj7)
V Db Mixolydian - Db, F, Ab, Cb (Db7)
VI Eb Aeolian - Eb, Gb, Bb, Db (Ebmin7)
VII F Locrian - F, Ab, Cb, Gb (Fmin7b5)

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 5 2009, 04:14 PM) *
Great stuff Matt!

Re-post those exercises every day if you want and can. That way we can monitor progress more closely. Ideally I would like to hear within one week no mistakes in all 3 takes and video of it all smile.gif

Ok I should be able to record the exercises every day, and I should be able to get a video by the end of the week.

This post has been edited by Matt23: Sep 5 2009, 04:37 PM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 5 2009, 04:19 PM
Instructor
Great stuff Matt!
Check your chord labeling for F Locryian in Gb Major wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 5 2009, 04:58 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
If you haven't got the time to reply atm that's fine, there's no rush, but I just wondered if you saw what I wrote earlier about the theory articles.

"Just finished reading both the posts you assigned, and I've got a few questions.

First could you give me a clear definition of what a Cadence is, because I always thought it was the last two chords of a phrase. I.e. Perfect cadence: V-I Plagal Cadence: IV-I Interrupted Cadence: V-VI etc. In your post though I got the impression that they were chord progressions.

Second, I understood everything in the Chord Substitution post (I think), but I don't quite get why you would use it. I mean if you substitute the tonic I, for VI, then surely you've changed the tonic to the relative minor. So if you could give me an example of how to use chord substituion I think that would help me."

p.s. Normally I would just wait for a reply, but you seem to reply so promptly to everything I thought you might have missed it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 5 2009, 05:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Sep 5 2009, 05:58 PM) *
If you haven't got the time to reply atm that's fine, there's no rush, but I just wondered if you saw what I wrote earlier about the theory articles.

"Just finished reading both the posts you assigned, and I've got a few questions.

Second, I understood everything in the Chord Substitution post (I think), but I don't quite get why you would use it. I mean if you substitute the tonic I, for VI, then surely you've changed the tonic to the relative minor. So if you could give me an example of how to use chord substituion I think that would help me."

p.s. Normally I would just wait for a reply, but you seem to reply so promptly to everything I thought you might have missed it. smile.gif

Hey Matt,

I was not near computer for the last hour or so.

Don't get confused with the cadence. In classical music its like you sad Plagal, Interrupted and all the rest. Since we are studying contemporary music harmony, cadence can be best described as group of chords that describe given scale or mode! I hope that makes things clear now.

Regarding chord substitution, we apply it to enrich and reharmonize harmony. In a way, we expand things that way and have much more possibilities when we have some given melody to work with. Chord substitution also opens up more possibilities for us to change keys and modulate.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 5 2009, 07:50 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Ok I understand now about cadences, thanks smile.gif, but I'm still not sure about chord substitution. Is chord substitution just a way of taking a chord progression, but substituting some of the chords for similar ones to make a similar but different progression?

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:02 AM