Making Tabs For Reference
Barthandelus
Nov 14 2013, 06:29 PM
GMC:er
The benefits of listing to music and working our how to play it rather than just searching for tabs online is huge. (Something else i need to learn!)

I would also like to put on paper my workings out - but finding it hard to accurately get the note timings down. Might be worth adding that i can read music.

Any tips on doing that? There are tabs on pretty much all the lessons here, i was wondering how they were made.

I have Guitar Pro, and can obviously place the notes - its just the timings, especially dotted notes / faster passages with complex timings. Prepared to get Finale / Sibelius if i really have to!

Thanks! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Barthandelus: Nov 14 2013, 06:31 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 14 2013, 07:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'd say GP is sufficient enough.

For me it's all about just doing it enough and getting used to tabbing. Some times it's a hit and miss thing. Tab something, see if it sounds right, play it yourself, edit some stuff in GP5 and in the end it will be close to the real thing. Practice makes perfect.

Also of course I'll split things up in small chunks. One bar at a time. Or one note of course, but you know what I mean.

You can also work from starting and ending notes if it's a run. Say you know it goes from B on the A string to F# on the high E. Then you place those two notes where they're supposed to be and that'll give you an idea of what can fit inside and how it naturally fits the best. That may be sixteenth note triplets or 16th notes or whatever. Or it might of course be a combination of notelengths, if it's not just a straight run rythmically speaking.

I guess that's a bit about how I work with GP.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 14 2013, 11:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Barthandelus @ Nov 14 2013, 06:29 PM) *
The benefits of listing to music and working our how to play it rather than just searching for tabs online is huge. (Something else i need to learn!)

I would also like to put on paper my workings out - but finding it hard to accurately get the note timings down. Might be worth adding that i can read music.

Any tips on doing that? There are tabs on pretty much all the lessons here, i was wondering how they were made.

I have Guitar Pro, and can obviously place the notes - its just the timings, especially dotted notes / faster passages with complex timings. Prepared to get Finale / Sibelius if i really have to!

Thanks! smile.gif

Sometimes when I'm tired and not able to process whole the timming translation to notes in my head...then I use a DAW midi drawing tools. I just make a midi track under my solo and try to draw the moments I'm not sure about. It's easy to move block or shorten the length Then I export file to midi and import in GP. I was doing a lot of stuff like live translations at music school but seems like it's same thing as with everything else - if You do not practice it as a regular thing...You loose some skills at that field. Sometimes little help from digital tools is necessary...since we're not a machines and we do have better and worse days.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 15 2013, 09:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 14 2013, 10:32 PM) *
Sometimes when I'm tired and not able to process whole the timming translation to notes in my head...then I use a DAW midi drawing tools. I just make a midi track under my solo and try to draw the moments I'm not sure about. It's easy to move block or shorten the length Then I export file to midi and import in GP. I was doing a lot of stuff like live translations at music school but seems like it's same thing as with everything else - if You do not practice it as a regular thing...You loose some skills at that field. Sometimes little help from digital tools is necessary...since we're not a machines and we do have better and worse days.

Amen to that brother smile.gif I am experimenting with an interesting pluggin I will write to you guys about pretty soon biggrin.gif It will be of great help in this endeavor we are discussing here wink.gif Stay tuned!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 15 2013, 06:59 PM
Instructor
Let me guess - finally a plug-in that translates audio from guitar to tabs without any midi pickup biggrin.gif Am I right? smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 16 2013, 08:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 15 2013, 05:59 PM) *
Let me guess - finally a plug-in that translates audio from guitar to tabs without any midi pickup biggrin.gif Am I right? smile.gif)

Yes you are! biggrin.gif You have no clue how happy I was when a friend of mine introduced it to me a few days ago - I haven't had the time to play around with it due to the preparations of Days of Confusion's new video shooting, but next week after we finish, I'll dig into it and write down my thoughts and conclusions for you guys.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 16 2013, 09:58 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 16 2013, 08:49 AM) *
Yes you are! biggrin.gif You have no clue how happy I was when a friend of mine introduced it to me a few days ago - I haven't had the time to play around with it due to the preparations of Days of Confusion's new video shooting, but next week after we finish, I'll dig into it and write down my thoughts and conclusions for you guys.

While I can certainly see the benefit, I'd say let's not forget the importance of being able to hear and write down what you play as opposed to just having a program do it for you. But it IS interesting!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Nov 16 2013, 10:09 AM
Learning Rock Star
Have you heard of the software Notion 4.0? I don't own it, but I've seen demos of it and it looks very promising. I believe it has only been around for a little while compared with Sibelius and Finale.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 17 2013, 08:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 16 2013, 08:58 AM) *
While I can certainly see the benefit, I'd say let's not forget the importance of being able to hear and write down what you play as opposed to just having a program do it for you. But it IS interesting!

Mate, trust me, when you're on the clock it comes in REALLY handy and again, I'd rather spend my time playing rather then tabbing stuff wink.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 17 2013, 12:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 17 2013, 08:48 AM) *
Mate, trust me, when you're on the clock it comes in REALLY handy and again, I'd rather spend my time playing rather then tabbing stuff wink.gif

Of course. I just think it's a valuable tool being able to hear and note down you're playing in regards to note values etc. But I hear what you're saying of course. And we're in the 21st century, so one better keep up with all the new tech.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Nov 17 2013, 12:27 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
korblitz
Nov 17 2013, 02:12 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
http://jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/

Does Audio to Midi (without the use of a midi pickup).

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 17 2013, 05:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 17 2013, 11:27 AM) *
Of course. I just think it's a valuable tool being able to hear and note down you're playing in regards to note values etc. But I hear what you're saying of course. And we're in the 21st century, so one better keep up with all the new tech.

Aye, you are right, but as I said, there are more often than not, days when I just want to play, no computers, no nothing and in order to get to that as fast as possible - I want to get rid of old chinese man work biggrin.gif Such as tabbing laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:19 PM