2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Mac Vs Windows Recording.
Jesse
Sep 13 2008, 03:47 PM
GMC:er
I've heard alot of stuff about the MAC being a better "musiscian's" computer for recording. Is this true? And why! I might look into getting one if it is.

I cant have a pc on my room so. The games I play are on this one in the living room. But I'd like an I mac. recording pc just for me on my room! I've got the room on my desk. But, I'd have to change my floor to something wood and a different desk-chair. I get shocked from static electricity now, I would go for the I Mac for 999 euros. The rest of em are way too expensive:D And it's really cool. I believe my former teacher has one. I mac is same price as the mac book but much bigger:D and better. I WANT IT! I want your opinions!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jesse: Sep 13 2008, 04:24 PM

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Sep 13 2008, 05:22 PM
Instructor
Well, many years ago Mac was definitely the standard computer for music recording. Back then all new programs and upgrades always came first to Mac, and the PC users had to wait tongue.gif But things have changed nowadays, so I think Mac and PC are pretty much equal.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 13 2008, 05:25 PM
Instructor
Sure MAC is more stable platform than PC because of better operating system but as Marcus said today it's almost the same.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Sep 13 2008, 05:45 PM
Instructor
The reason MAC is a high standard in audio recording is because is harder to have a problem like in PC. The OS is more stable and with ProTools they work pretty well. The internal process of the machine is more effective. But I think that for the same price you get a MAC you can buy a way better Desktop PC and is not bad as it used to be. You can let a whole HD to recording and another to use games or Internet. If you keep it clean it will be stable (maybe not like MAC but pretty stable).

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Jesse
Sep 13 2008, 05:50 PM
tongue.gif
Thats the POINT
I DONT WANT ONE IWTH GAMES> I already got this one. i want just one for me just with internet and recording stuff ONLY! + mac's take in much less space

mom dont want me to have a gaming pc on my room

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 13 2008, 09:44 PM
Instructor
Yeah,I guess PC is pretty much good as Mac today for recording.
But what I really like about Mac/OSX is virus resistance. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Sep 13 2008, 10:10 PM
I use a Mac. It hates my camera but other than that, I don't have any problems. When I add audio hardware, I don't have to worry so much about drivers and latency like the Windows versions of apps seem to.

People beat up on Windows' stability...I don't get it. I can't remember the last time I had a Windows system crash on me. If you take care of your stuff, it takes care of you.

Pretty much all of your major apps though are pretty much going to be cross platform unless you want to use Logic. All of the big players release Mac and PC updates pretty much at the same time. In the open source world, sometimes you have to dig a little harder for a particular tool with a Mac version vs a PC version.

Performance-wise, you can run a Mac a little more stripped down than a new PC with Vista on it. That matters if you're trying to save some $$ by getting a lower end system (my Mac's a 4 year old Powerbook G4, and I have a $500 Vista laptop).

It's pretty much already been said....if you're just running a studio/recording rig, it's not like going one way or the other is going to screw you up or anything. With a Mac, it's a little easier to get things set up, but once you're all set up and in Cubase or ProTools or whatever, it doesn't really matter anymore.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 13 2008, 10:30 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I use a PC for recording, but when I can afford it I'll get a Mac smile.gif

Mostly because it's more stable, as the rest is pretty much equal I think smile.gif

This post has been edited by audiopaal: Sep 13 2008, 10:32 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 13 2008, 10:39 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I would go with Mac if I had the money! Even just for the sake of change smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 13 2008, 10:45 PM
Instructor
In a professional environment where no compromises are being done I would alwazs go for Mac. It is pricey, but more stable and better adapted to music work than PC, because of the sound drivers.
But at home, PCs are so cheap, you can (with a bit of know-how and money) make a very powerfull machine for everyday work. And as everybody said - if you keep it clean, it will be clean.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Raw
Sep 14 2008, 01:46 AM
A big bonus for MAC is also the recordingprogram Logic Studio 8, which really is one of the best there is. Cubase is also good, but in my opinion a lot more complicated to get into.

+Quote Post
Jesse
Sep 14 2008, 10:22 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 13 2008, 11:45 PM) *
In a professional environment where no compromises are being done I would alwazs go for Mac. It is pricey, but more stable and better adapted to music work than PC, because of the sound drivers.
But at home, PCs are so cheap, you can (with a bit of know-how and money) make a very powerfull machine for everyday work. And as everybody said - if you keep it clean, it will be clean.

Ok, I would go for the 999 euros I mac 20" !!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Sep 14 2008, 10:29 AM
QUOTE (Jesse @ Sep 13 2008, 04:47 PM) *
I've heard alot of stuff about the MAC being a better "musiscian's" computer for recording. Is this true? And why! I might look into getting one if it is.

I cant have a pc on my room so. The games I play are on this one in the living room. But I'd like an I mac. recording pc just for me on my room! I've got the room on my desk. But, I'd have to change my floor to something wood and a different desk-chair. I get shocked from static electricity now, I would go for the I Mac for 999 euros. The rest of em are way too expensive:D And it's really cool. I believe my former teacher has one. I mac is same price as the mac book but much bigger:D and better. I WANT IT! I want your opinions!

All the pros use mac, becuase it's built for audio and video. This is also why all schools etc use it.
The operative system has direct lining,which causes zero latency even if you add lots of effects.

This is great if you only have a guitar and no amp, you can add al you need in cubase.

+Quote Post
Noangels
Sep 14 2008, 03:25 PM
PCs are as good a Macs,but you have to fine tune them

My old protunes system runs on a win98 2nd edition machine and is rock solid.The os system has been streamlined
to remove all unwanted rubbish and is designed purely to record audio.It is not attached to the internet and has never had a computer game installed on it.

when I bought the machine in 99,I was also looking at Apple Macs but I have grown used to windows so stuck with that platform even when my machine was more expensive than the macs at the time

I havent used it now this year as I find it easier to record with the Yamaha AW4416 as its more hands on with it moving faders and built in cd recorder to master on.I also dont do midi,and record the old fashoned way with my band mates so theres no need to do it the old way with my PC rig and preamps and drum loops(when i did instrumental stuff)

I do intend to replace it with a protools running laptop at some stage as the mastering plugins from digidesign and the companies that use it are studio quality

If you streamline PC's purely for audio it will match the Mac-I have never had a blue screen of death on my music pc,but my internet machine has done it all-from losing hardrives to evry thing else!

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 14 2008, 08:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Noangels @ Sep 14 2008, 04:25 PM) *
If you streamline PC's purely for audio it will match the Mac-I have never had a blue screen of death on my music pc,but my internet machine has done it all-from losing hardrives to evry thing else!

I agree 100%. For the same price as Macs go nowadays anyone can make a great music production PC. Very stable and very quiet, just need to know coupe of tricks, and keep it nice and clean.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Noangels
Sep 14 2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah,true Ivan

There are actualy a few firms out there who make custom PC's streamlined just for audio,be it logic,cubase,Digidesign or any number of the current Software recorders/mixes these days.

They realy do look at it all in fine detail,even to the stage of using silent hard drives or shielding them so the Mics dont pick up on their clicking when in action-mind you I have never picked up hard drive noise from any of my mics

To any band players here I would advise picking up the Yamaha aw4416

aw4416 specs

There not produced anymore,but they turn up now and again 2nd hand,and are high quality
heres a small clip of some geezer down under who uses one and shows the size of the beast!

Youtube AW4416 clip

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Sep 16 2008, 02:16 AM
Contrary to popular belief, Macs are NOT virus resistant. There just aren't as many for the Mac as the PC. If you were a virus developer you would target the majority of users. Not the minority. People complain about the stability of Windows, but as someone pointed out earlier if you take care of your stuff it will take care of you. A huge part of system instability is poor selection of software. I own a few of both and I prefer a PC. Replacement parts are cheaper, larger selection of software (in ALL areas) and upfront cost is cheaper. And for most people, Windows is easier to use.

This post has been edited by JCJXXL: Sep 16 2008, 02:19 AM

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Sep 16 2008, 07:05 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JCJXXL @ Sep 16 2008, 03:16 AM) *
Contrary to popular belief, Macs are NOT virus resistant. There just aren't as many for the Mac as the PC.

Yes, there probably are few viruses for Mac. But they must be extremely rare.

I've been using Macs for 15 years now and I've never had a virus (at least not that I know of ph34r.gif ). Actually, I've never even heard a Mac user say that they've got a virus... but Macintosh is getting bigger so maybe some virus developers will start working on it soon. hm... maybe it's time to get some anti-virus software for my Mac, if there are any?! unsure.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 16 2008, 10:56 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Two major reasons why Macs are often used in pro-audio setups are stability and integration. The first has already been pretty well covered the second possibly needs more comment...

Stability:
Pcs tend to be an open platform in the sense that there are thousands of possible hardware permutations (mobo, discs, processor etc) whereas the Mac has considerably fewer. One consequence of this is stability - not every hardware permutation will be 'ideal' (or even close to it). Choose a poor configuration and you can have an awful lot of problems. Along with this - the many permutations make it extremely hard for software coders to test software.

Integration:
Apple has worked closely with some hardware/software audio companies. The more limited set of permutations and Apple's position has perhaps helped manufacturers to provide a more 'integrated' solution for audio that calls on low level and kernel os. Microsoft have been more reticent on this - just FYI, MS were less then forthcoming over the low level and kernal audio routines written into Vista. These caused (and continue to) an awful lot of compatability issues.

WRT integration - sequencer Mac software like ProTools and Logic offer a more seamless environment. This, when allied with hardware controllers that are dedicated for these sequencers result in a software and hardware system that just locks together with little - if any - compatability issues at any level. This is more than just plug and play (although Windows struggles with this) -it's about full seamless integration. PCs just don't achieve this level of integration. For pc users we are faced with software and hardware that often fail to communicate with each other to such an extent that you can only really use a fraction of the features as 'intended'. To whit - I use a number of hardware controllers and none fully integrate with any sequencer that I have - there is always some control that will not read properly, if at all.

-----------------------------------------

Regardless I still use a pc rather than a Mac. Furthermore many Universities, schools and pro-recording studios, broadcast/studio/audio trainers ALSO use pcs. There are a number of reasons for me:

1) History and legacy - if you started with and invested a lot of money in a PC platform it becomes difficult and expensive to change. The Mac equivalent for me would be a ProTools HD system and would cost over 15K UK Pounds. I can't afford that and nor could I countenance having to sideline/junk the equivalent pc investment. Furthermore I have an awful lot of data archived that is pc readable.

2) Software - quite simply the pc has more choice. Some of the audio and broadcast software is not Mac usable (and I really don't want to start trying to run then via emulation).

3) Familiarity - I train people in broadcast and as part of this require them to bring their own laptops to the course/s they are on. The majority bring a pc. I work with several UK Universities on audio and broadcast courses - all use pcs as policy. Whilst I actually think that the Mac OS is more user friendly then Windows or Vista more people that I deal with are familiar with MS OSs.

4) Compatability - In my experience more individuals, companies, radio stations and recording studios that I work with have a pc platform available then a Mac. Mac orientated companies often have a pc system BUT the reverse isn't always the case.

All that said - if I could square point 1 above I'd switch to a Mac.

Cheers,
Tony

ps
On a side note - a relation who is a professional fashion photographer (and has been for 30 or so years) recently switched from Mac to pc. His reason was 4).

His biggest complaints - horrible Vista interface compared with Mac; the lack of integration with hardware (cameras etc); having to redo all his photo archive to a windows readable format.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 16 2008, 12:18 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
In my opinion by now there is no real difference when it comes to recording on a mac or a pc, if you already have a pc there is no need to buy a mac, just get the sorftware that you want to use and start recording.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:00 AM