Stenchovdeth's Bootcamp, The Bile of Your Enemies Washes Over You!
Todd Simpson
Oct 12 2016, 12:10 PM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you) Shoot a video of you playing the bit along with a METRONOME or DRUM click in the background so that I can hear if your on beat or not, and embed it as a post it as a reply to this post. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP!

After that proceed to MISSION #2. Here is a link to all of the missions. All 400+ of them.
http://bit.ly/twtgmc

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!
http://bit.ly/Stenchovdethsbootcamp

Practice!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 12 2016, 12:12 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stenchovdeth
Oct 16 2016, 02:40 AM
Hey Todd,
Already noticing a big improvement with my alternate picking after doing some of your exercises.I've also started Ben and Darius's alt picking tutorials as well.I'll upload a video soon.
Gab has me doing the string bending tutorial
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ending-Workout/
but my pads on my fingers are pretty shot ,but I have found an answer to the discomfort. cool.gif

STENCH

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Stenchovdeth: Oct 16 2016, 02:54 AM

--------------------

HUMANITY IS TEMPORARY || STRUGGLE IS FOREVER

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 16 2016, 06:27 AM
That's earning it Soldier!! smile.gif Don't push your fingers/wrist too far or you can create "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome" which many players, including myself have dealt with. If you notice any pain, even mile irritation in your wrist/forearm, STOP PLAYING and get an ice cube and ice down your forearm, on the under side, and do some light stretches for your hand/wrist, and some range of motion excersiss like wrist rolls.

Your fingers will develop calluses as you go smile.gif Some students use surgical gloves as they fit tightly and you can fret with them. But as I always say, if you feel pain STOP PLAYING! You only get one pair of hands. Imagine of you only got one pair of strings to last your entire life? How would you treat those?

Just some food for thought smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Stenchovdeth @ Oct 15 2016, 09:40 PM) *
Hey Todd,
Already noticing a big improvement with my alternate picking after doing some of your exercises.I've also started Ben and Darius's alt picking tutorials as well.I'll upload a video soon.
Gab has me doing the string bending tutorial
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ending-Workout/
but my pads on my fingers are pretty shot ,but I have found an answer to the discomfort. cool.gif

STENCH

+Quote Post
Stenchovdeth
Oct 16 2016, 07:39 AM
Gday Todd,
I've never really had any issues with wrist or forearm pain/discomfort of any kind.I already have the hardened skin on the fingertips it was just the pads on my fingertips from repeating indents from string bending that cut through and created a crack in the pad. One of my bass playing mates told me to de-tune the guitar a whole step to release the string tension and this seemed to work for a while, but because of the groove in the pad made by the string.It (the string being bent) just kept naturally falling into the same spot causing the issue. The glove was a plan "C" and works a treat. My bassist mate said to try condoms on my fingers, I think he was joking though.
STENCH

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 16 2016, 08:04 AM
Glad to hear smile.gif You must be using .10 gauge or higher strings? or pehaps just many hours of repetition cutting through the callus. Great news that you are not in pain, and that you are ablet o play with gloves smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Stenchovdeth @ Oct 16 2016, 02:39 AM) *
Gday Todd,
I've never really had any issues with wrist or forearm pain/discomfort of any kind.I already have the hardened skin on the fingertips it was just the pads on my fingertips from repeating indents from string bending that cut through and created a crack in the pad. One of my bass playing mates told me to de-tune the guitar a whole step to release the string tension and this seemed to work for a while, but because of the groove in the pad made by the string.It (the string being bent) just kept naturally falling into the same spot causing the issue. The glove was a plan "C" and works a treat. My bassist mate said to try condoms on my fingers, I think he was joking though.
STENCH

+Quote Post
Stenchovdeth
Oct 17 2016, 02:21 PM
Gday Todd,
Well I finally got my camera back from my brother so here is my first ever video!

Lesson notes:
Basic timing @100bpm was really quite hard for me and I wasn't really happy with the take of it.I seemed more flowing @120 - 140bpm.
Anyway first effort I guess. I'll post the 120bpm tomorrow.Be Brutal!

Footage notes:
As I get used to making the video's for mentors I will work on better lighting and sound.
Also getting the right angles as well.

PS.
The glove is gone cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 17 2016, 11:45 PM
CONGRATS !!!! First Blood has been drawn!!!!

You have begun a long and baaaruuuutal battle that you WILL win!!!
P.S. Remind me which model of Ibby your on there? Either way, FINE CALL!!! As many Victorious Bootcamp Soldiers will tell you, the Ibby is the SECRET WEAPON OF DEATH!!!!!

Let's debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Solid Palm Mute! (No string noise)
2.)Tight picking, precision matters!
3.)Solid Timing on strikes (Just a pinch of drift but that will tighten up as we go)

Congrats Soldier, you just ...

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image

You are on your way Soldier!!!! Attack the next Mission!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Stenchovdeth @ Oct 17 2016, 09:21 AM) *
Gday Todd,
Well I finally got my camera back from my brother so here is my first ever video!

Lesson notes:
Basic timing @100bpm was really quite hard for me and I wasn't really happy with the take of it.I seemed more flowing @120 - 140bpm.
Anyway first effort I guess. I'll post the 120bpm tomorrow.Be Brutal!

Footage notes:
As I get used to making the video's for mentors I will work on better lighting and sound.
Also getting the right angles as well.

PS.
The glove is gone cool.gif

+Quote Post
Stenchovdeth
Oct 23 2016, 12:33 PM
My Ibanez.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 23 2016, 08:13 PM
NICE IBBY!!!!! smile.gif

I don't actually own a premium or prestige, but I plan to at some point smile.gif Most of mine are half a decade old or older as I usually try to find older Ibby's that I can resurrect and bring back from the dead to keep or sell so I can buy more Ibby's smile.gif

What wood is on that btw?

QUOTE (Stenchovdeth @ Oct 23 2016, 07:33 AM) *
My Ibanez.

+Quote Post
Stenchovdeth
Oct 24 2016, 06:49 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 23 2016, 07:13 PM) *
NICE IBBY!!!!! smile.gif

I don't actually own a premium or prestige, but I plan to at some point smile.gif Most of mine are half a decade old or older as I usually try to find older Ibby's that I can resurrect and bring back from the dead to keep or sell so I can buy more Ibby's smile.gif

What wood is on that btw?

Hey Todd,
Wizard-7 5pc Wenge/Bubinga neck
Body - Ziricote top/American Basswood body
It's really light and the neck is really fast and smooth cool.gif

This post has been edited by Stenchovdeth: Oct 25 2016, 07:53 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 26 2016, 04:34 AM
SAWEEEET!!!!!!

She even looks good from behind smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Stenchovdeth @ Oct 24 2016, 01:49 AM) *
Hey Todd,
Wizard-7 5pc Wenge/Bubinga neck
Body - Ziricote top/American Basswood body
It's really light and the neck is really fast and smooth cool.gif

+Quote Post
Stenchovdeth
Nov 2 2016, 06:53 AM
Gday Todd,
Next Lesson in AltPicking is ready.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 2 2016, 09:51 PM
What's that I smell? It's the STENCH OF DEATH!!!! And a new MISSION! I must say that is a very fine vid angle and I'm a bit suprised to see such good videography on such an early vid. I try not to get to fussy about video production on Missions as the Mission is the important bit, but I do appreciate good shots when I see them. The low angle allows me a good view of your picking hand and a good angle on your fretting hand. Well done smile.gif On to the debrief!...

Well played. Measured, even, steady, just what I want to see on these Missions.

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Precise Pick Control
2.)Good Palm Mute
3.)Aggressive style and good tone.

Congrats Soldier, you just ...

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Stenchovdeth @ Nov 2 2016, 01:53 AM) *
Gday Todd,
Next Lesson in AltPicking is ready.

+Quote Post
Stenchovdeth
Nov 20 2016, 09:33 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 20 2016, 11:04 PM
This is very well played and you'd badge up for it right away if it didn't look like I was putting you to sleep with this Mission!! Soldier, this is a great chance to work on DOUBLE PICKING while traversing strings in a reversed pattern. Give me a DOUBLE PICK version of this guy, just pick every note twice and keep it just as clean as the first vid. I'm guessing you can knock it out with no trouble!!! I don't always push Bootcampers this hard, but I think you can handle the STRESS!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Stenchovdeth @ Nov 20 2016, 04:33 AM) *

+Quote Post
Stenchovdeth
Nov 26 2016, 12:28 AM
Gday Todd,
Just a quick update. I'm noticing large improvements in speed and overall timing and even speed on my left hand/fretting hand.

I'll upload some more video's this weekend.

Hadrian

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 26 2016, 09:29 PM
GREAT to hear that smile.gif These things take time and you are clearly putting in the time. Congrats!!

Todd

QUOTE (Stenchovdeth @ Nov 25 2016, 07:28 PM) *
Gday Todd,
Just a quick update. I'm noticing large improvements in speed and overall timing and even speed on my left hand/fretting hand.

I'll upload some more video's this weekend.

Hadrian

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:36 PM