Guitar Center Wrecked My 8 Srting
Todd Simpson
Feb 15 2013, 04:50 AM
GMC:er
I just bought a new IBANEZ 8 STRING guitar at Guitar Center and I had them do the "setup" on it since they give you a discount since you bought it there. Well, I go pick it up and IT"S SCRATCHED UP ALL TO HECK!!!!! and instead of lowering the action, it's been RAISED ALL THE WAY!!!!

So I'm furious as you might imagine. I left the guitar with them and am now going to try to argue my way through the manager and get a new replacement. This thing looks like a shopworn demo and it's brand new. Really sad. I left my RAZOR BACK to have it looked at and now I'm thinking that was a mistake. GRRRRRR. Took them almost two weeks to look at my IBBY and then they ruin it. ARRGGHHH!!

Anybody else had bad experiences with Guitar Center?

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
mr rotton treat
Feb 15 2013, 05:14 AM
Man that's terrible news!!

I don't know much from them besides they're rip people on trading gear in.

I just got my own horror story from Sweetwater. I ordered a brand new Peavey AT-200 from them. It was back ordered from peavey for almost 2 months. Then when they got it in, it was defective. Sweetwater does atleast a 50 point inspection on all their guitars before they ship.

I waited another 3 weeks and they shipped me the second one!!

This is what i got.Attached Image

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 15 2013, 09:38 AM
Instructor
Too far away for that smile.gif

We have 2 very skilled luthiers here in Bucharest which I would recommend to anybody anytime - they always do a great job out of the most impossible looking problems on axes.. The only difference between them is that the one who is the best is completely nuts and if he doesn't like you, he won't put his heart into the work laugh.gif

Todd, how much for a setup over there? We pay about 30 USD to setup an axe (intonation, cleaning, neck adjustment .. this sort of stuff)

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Feb 15 2013, 06:59 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Ugh, that is just unacceptable in both your cases. dry.gif You have to wonder what kind of "professionals" they hire on.

I've always had better experiences with Sam Ash. From the luthier they had in the shop and the sales staff being more helpful and friendly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 16 2013, 12:26 AM
Setup runs $75 us plus strings! I had to buy two packs of strings since they had not super slinky 8 sets! Then after two weeks of waiting, the guitar is destroyed.

BUT THERE IS A HAPPY ENDING!!!

The boss got involved and they are going to give me a new one. I think I"ll have to eat the cost of the first two packs of strings, and maybe the cost of the setup. But i'd be ok with that if they just give me a new darn guitar!!!

Hopefully it will all work out smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 15 2013, 03:38 AM) *
Too far away for that smile.gif

We have 2 very skilled luthiers here in Bucharest which I would recommend to anybody anytime - they always do a great job out of the most impossible looking problems on axes.. The only difference between them is that the one who is the best is completely nuts and if he doesn't like you, he won't put his heart into the work laugh.gif

Todd, how much for a setup over there? We pay about 30 USD to setup an axe (intonation, cleaning, neck adjustment .. this sort of stuff)

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 16 2013, 04:02 PM
Learning Roadie
My gosh it makes me angry when people mess up people's stuff. How did they manage to scratch it up? I have never had bad experiences with Guitar Center. I love my location. I think it's the people and not really the company that makes it a crappy place.

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Feb 16 2013, 04:34 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Feb 16 2013, 10:02 AM) *
My gosh it makes me angry when people mess up people's stuff. How did they manage to scratch it up? I have never had bad experiences with Guitar Center. I love my location. I think it's the people and not really the company that makes it a crappy place.

I have to agree with this. Same reason why I haven't been back to my store in a few months at all. The assistant manager moved on due to having a child on the way and such.

But I use to get great deals, not sure if it was just him or the people in general in the store. I traded in gear left and right, there is a good chance that I got around 70% of what I paid for my gear. Plus I got an addition 10% off a brand new item on trade, which is a policy. But luckily enough I got 10% off anything new or used. At times I even got 10% off just because.

I really enjoyed walking in and the guy going "Hey Travis", shakes your hand, "Follow me I know you will love this." then next thing you know your playing on a half-stack diezel herbert amp on a JPX-7 that someone just traded in. Heck I even played that assistant managers custom JP6 when he had it in the store because he had a gig after work. Which I'm very happy to say, I own it.

But I have also heard horror stories from people at other Guitar Centers. That the associates would ignore you when you had questions, make you wait because they are taking personal calls, ect. Also I've heard the same stories as what happened to Todd, that's because they are given quotes to do so much in a single day. They aren't given the time to give the guitar love. I'm glad to know that I have a custom guitar shop in the area. Which I may check out one day, but I'm decent at getting a straight neck and lower action. So until it needs a doctor I'm good! laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 16 2013, 05:04 PM
Instructor
That sounds pretty darn expensive man sad.gif Well, I am glad you solved the problem!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 16 2013, 09:51 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 16 2013, 12:26 AM) *
Setup runs $75 us plus strings! I had to buy two packs of strings since they had not super slinky 8 sets! Then after two weeks of waiting, the guitar is destroyed.

BUT THERE IS A HAPPY ENDING!!!

The boss got involved and they are going to give me a new one. I think I"ll have to eat the cost of the first two packs of strings, and maybe the cost of the setup. But i'd be ok with that if they just give me a new darn guitar!!!

Hopefully it will all work out smile.gif

Todd

i was wondering through a guitar center once and saw a left handed Gibson custom, me being left handed thought WoW , now I can finally see what a gibson plays like. I asked the clerk to get it down and he asked me if I had the money to buy it, I said no, He told me to come back when I had the money

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 16 2013, 10:04 PM
HAPPY DAY!!!!! They called and said they have a NEW 8 STRING READY FOR ME!! And they say they did a proper setup and lowered the action just as I asked. smile.gif I'm gonna pick it up after tonights Video Chat!!!! WOOHOOO!!!!

Todd

+Quote Post
MHD Pickups
Feb 23 2013, 03:09 AM
Screw that. GC ios notorious for that is almost bankrupt as in if they do not do something like 28 mill in the next month they will be bought once again. Make them give you everything they screwed up, and get a gift card from them or something. They screwed up and need to make it right.

--------------------
http://mhd-pickups.com/

https://www.facebook.com/mhd.pickups

DC DOES NOT EQUAL OUTPUT. Dc is a resistance value and that is all. It WILL NOT tell you what it will sound like, it WILL NOT make you sound like another player.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 26 2013, 06:47 PM
They gave me a brand new guitar, with new strings, (the custom set I specified) and a full setup to my specs. So I was happy in the end smile.gif I have heard they are on the very edge of bankruptcy. I"m not surprised by this as they seem to be slipping pretty quickly. Most of the other music stores in my area are already gone. So Guitar Center is one of the last places with a big selection and techs on staff. I think that's part of why they are slipping as they are quickly becoming the only game in town. Also, if this guitar was for a new player, they might not have even complained or noticed. I think they are used to doing the minimum and pushing through guitars as quick as possible.

QUOTE (MHD Pickups @ Feb 22 2013, 09:09 PM) *
Screw that. GC ios notorious for that is almost bankrupt as in if they do not do something like 28 mill in the next month they will be bought once again. Make them give you everything they screwed up, and get a gift card from them or something. They screwed up and need to make it right.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:17 PM