2 X Ngd
Mataguri
Jul 12 2013, 09:16 PM
GMC:er
I was a member here a few years ago but I was working crazy hours at the time and didn't have much spare time to play guitar so I ended up cancelling my membership here. Since then I've found a different job with sensible hours which means I can both buy guitars AND spend a healthy amount of time playing them, so I'm back smile.gif

For the longest time my main player was a '93 Strat Plus with a Seymour Duncan JB Jnr in the bridge. Got it for €600 around 10 years ago and I have barely played anything else since. Recently however I really wanted to get a Les Paul style guitar so I went to my local shop and tried out a few guitars from Gibson, Gretsch and Duesenberg. They all played nice and looked great but the more I played them the more I realized that I'm just a Fender guy and if I had bought one it would probably sit in its case all the time while I play my Strat Plus. What I needed was a dual humbucker Fender.

The only American Fenders with dual humbuckers which I am aware of are the select series, which cost a fair bit over here, so I decided to hit up Ebay and price up a parts build. I found a guy on Ebay selling an Olympic white American Std bodyrouted h-s-h which looked perfect. He was also selling a beautiful Baja Telecaster body and even though I wasn't planning on building a Tele as-well I really wanted it so I made him a deal for both bodies which much to my surprise he accepted. My original idea was to have the Strat wired HH and the Tele wired traditionally but after receiving the bodies and mocking up some builds I changed my mind and routed the Tele out for humbuckers instead. Took a few weeks to get all the parts together but as of yesterday both guitars are finished. So without further ado, pictures:

Strat specs:

American Standard body and neck
Hipshot dual fulcrum bridge
Schaller locking tuners
Bareknuckle VHII (Bridge) Fender Custom Shop Fat 50s (Neck and Middle)
Wired with a 500k volume for the humbucker, 250k volume for the neck and middle and a 250k no load master tone pot. Standard 5 way switch.

Tele Specs:

American Standard neck, Baja body
Schaller locking tuners
WD Bridge
Bareknuckle Rebel Yell (bridge) Bareknuckle VHII (Neck)
Wired with a Shadow Kill pot (vol pot) and a push pull tone for coil taps (tone pot). Standard 3 way switch.

I know 2 humbuckers in a Fender is considered sacrilege to some people but I really could not be happier with how these two guitars turned out. Anyways, thats enough typing for me, now back to playing biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mataguri: Jul 12 2013, 09:17 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 12 2013, 09:43 PM
Well spiff wink.gif Those are some Hot Rodded Fenders to be sure!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jul 12 2013, 09:48 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
That Tele looks amazing, wow...
Give it to me, please!? biggrin.gif

I love both of them, you should biuld my next Tele biggrin.gif
How much did you end up spending on it?

+Quote Post
Mataguri
Jul 12 2013, 10:06 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 12 2013, 08:43 PM) *
Well spiff wink.gif Those are some Hot Rodded Fenders to be sure!

Thanks man!

QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jul 12 2013, 08:43 PM) *
That Tele looks amazing, wow...
Give it to me, please!? biggrin.gif

I love both of them, you should biuld my next Tele biggrin.gif
How much did you end up spending on it?

Yeah I'm super happy with the Tele. It came out much better than I could have ever imagined.

Prices worked out at:

€350 for both bodies.
€200 for the Tele neck.
€250 for the Strat neck.
€100 for the machine heads.
€350 for pickups.
€80 for the Hipshop Strat bridge.
Got the Tele bridge for free.
And around €60 on misc parts (pots, scratchplates etc).

Roughly €655 for the Tele and €735 for the Strat. Considering an American Std Strat on its own is €1,299 on Thomann I reckon I went the right route.

This post has been edited by Mataguri: Jul 12 2013, 10:07 PM

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jul 12 2013, 10:08 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Mataguri @ Jul 12 2013, 11:06 PM) *
Yeah I'm super happy with the Tele. It came out much better than I could have ever imagined.

Prices worked out at:

€350 for both bodies.
€200 for the Tele neck.
€250 for the Strat neck.
€100 for the machine heads.
€350 for pickups.
€80 for the Hipshop Strat bridge.
Got the Tele bridge for free.
And around €60 on misc parts (pots, scratchplates etc).

Roughly €655 for the Tele and €735 for the Strat. Considering an American Std Strat on its own is €1,299 on Thomann I reckon I went the right route.

Nice! smile.gif
That's a great price for two great guitars.
I reckon you went the right route as you say, well done smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2013, 01:02 AM
Instructor
Hi man! Welcome back! That telecaster looks awesome! I think that you did a great deal buying the parts and building it by yourself. The strato is also cool. These ones are two essential guitars that every guitarist should love. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mataguri
Jul 13 2013, 03:40 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 13 2013, 12:02 AM) *
Hi man! Welcome back! That telecaster looks awesome! I think that you did a great deal buying the parts and building it by yourself. The strato is also cool. These ones are two essential guitars that every guitarist should love. smile.gif

Thanks man! Huge fan of your tutorial vids btw.

I'm absolutely in love with the Tele, it sounds huge and plays effortlessly. The body had quite a few issues when I got it but after a bit of work it's perfect. I know it's early days yet and I'm still in the honeymoon phase and all but this guitar could be my new number 1.

The Strat, I love how it sounds but aesthetically I'm not sure about the humbucker in the bridge position. I have a spare Dimarzio Fast Track 2 that I might use instead which as you can see below I've modified to make it look like a traditional single coil. The fake pole pieces in-between the rails aren't magnetic so they shouldn't affect the sound (I hope).

This post has been edited by Mataguri: Jul 13 2013, 03:42 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2013, 06:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mataguri @ Jul 13 2013, 11:40 AM) *
Thanks man! Huge fan of your tutorial vids btw.

Thanks for your words mate. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 15 2013, 02:05 PM
Instructor
I'm not "grown-up" enough for the Tele...but this Strat is so Juicy! Love that ivory body with a full maple neck smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:04 AM