Question For Instructors, Other instructors lessons
Hajduk
Mar 13 2014, 07:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
Silly question for the instructors, I have always been curious to know how fast does it take you all to learn a lesson from another instructor?? Say level 5 and up:) And do you all do that?? And how long in general does it take to put a lesson together?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Tomislav
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 13 2014, 09:50 PM
GMC:er
Nobody seems to have grabbed this but I'll take a shot smile.gif The short answer is that (as with hundreds of similar questions we get frequently) there is no short answer. sad.gif The only real answer is that "It Depends" which I know doesn't help you much.

It may be more beneficial to try to find out what you are actually trying to learn by asking the question. Are you trying to gauge your ability to learn against that of the instructors? IF so, depending on how long you've been playing it may no be a fair comparison. Most of us have been playing for quite a while and the answer would change a bit with each year of experience.

maybe you could start by comparing yourself to other students? How long does it take you to learn a level 5 lesson and how long have you been playing? ALSO to any other students, how long does it take you and how long have you been playing?

That may work smile.gif

QUOTE (Hajduk @ Mar 13 2014, 02:36 PM) *
Silly question for the instructors, I have always been curious to know how fast does it take you all to learn a lesson from another instructor?? Say level 5 and up:) And do you all do that?? And how long in general does it take to put a lesson together?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Mar 14 2014, 09:45 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks Todd smile.gif Yeah, really should of asked, for someone who has played seriously for over a year but used to play before( Like myself) How long does a level 5 lesson take to learn, if you are practicing 2 to 3 hours a day??

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 14 2014, 10:29 AM
Instructor
Hello Tom smile.gif

As Todd said, it's a matter based on many factors: focus power, experience, time available, skills and motivation smile.gif Just like with anybody else. Raise each of these factors and the time needed will decrease smile.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 14 2014, 11:32 AM
Learning Tone Master
the fastest way for me to memorize , is to watch the slow version videos and loop them and just follow the tab instead of watching them play it slow.Yes I watch them from time to time .As to how fast I can play it every song varies and in my opinion , how fast I can play won't help you
But I won't mind answering any questions as too my routine, if you want

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 14 2014, 11:43 AM
Learning Rock Star
I'm gonna answer this as a student. But say a level 5 lesson, which I've only been looking at once I think, might take combined a couple of hours.

My biggest problem is actually remembering the lessons and what's to be played, so often I'll be looking at the tabs meanwhile.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 14 2014, 04:06 PM
Instructor
AS the other instructors said, it depends on lots of factors. I can take me 10 minutes or many hours depending on the experience that I have with those concepts.

For example. It took me less than an hour to learn this lesson level 9:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Andy_Timmons_style/

however it is taking me some more time to learn this one. As this is not something similar to what I played before, I get exhausted of this licks after some minutes of practice. It also depends on how focused and tired I feel.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/greg_howe_techniques/

And about putting a lesson together, it's also very different depending on the style, the difficulty and how inspired you are. Sometimes I can compose a song in the style of in 1 hour, other times it takes 4 or maybe more. Sometimes I finish it the same day, sometimes I have to leave it to another day because inspiration doesn't flows.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Mar 14 2014, 07:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thank you Cosmin, Jstcrsn, calum and Gab smile.gif just the answer I was looking for. smile.gif

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 15 2014, 11:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 14 2014, 03:06 PM) *
AS the other instructors said, it depends on lots of factors. I can take me 10 minutes or many hours depending on the experience that I have with those concepts.

For example. It took me less than an hour to learn this lesson level 9:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Andy_Timmons_style/

however it is taking me some more time to learn this one. As this is not something similar to what I played before, I get exhausted of this licks after some minutes of practice. It also depends on how focused and tired I feel.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/greg_howe_techniques/

And about putting a lesson together, it's also very different depending on the style, the difficulty and how inspired you are. Sometimes I can compose a song in the style of in 1 hour, other times it takes 4 or maybe more. Sometimes I finish it the same day, sometimes I have to leave it to another day because inspiration doesn't flows.

And there's another thing smile.gif How much you are into what you are learning or writing - if it's something you love, you will be fast and COMPLETELY into it smile.gif It's always obvious when someone plays something they enjoy a lot!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 15 2014, 02:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 15 2014, 07:11 AM) *
And there's another thing smile.gif How much you are into what you are learning or writing - if it's something you love, you will be fast and COMPLETELY into it smile.gif It's always obvious when someone plays something they enjoy a lot!

Exactly. It's awesome how much focused you can be when you love what you are learning. There are not other important things in your mind, just that one. I remember my mother saying... music makes you forget everything? I was very young, we were getting back home and I was extremely hungry, but I had also bought a new CD (Maybe something by GNR, Ramones or Metallica). As soon as I get home, instead of going to the fridge, I went to the player and stayed there listening to the album like if nothing else existed.... hahah that's when my mother came and said that phrase... laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 15 2014, 03:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 15 2014, 01:08 PM) *
Exactly. It's awesome how much focused you can be when you love what you are learning. There are not other important things in your mind, just that one. I remember my mother saying... music makes you forget everything? I was very young, we were getting back home and I was extremely hungry, but I had also bought a new CD (Maybe something by GNR, Ramones or Metallica). As soon as I get home, instead of going to the fridge, I went to the player and stayed there listening to the album like if nothing else existed.... hahah that's when my mother came and said that phrase... laugh.gif

Ah mate... my mom still says that to me... You don't care about anything else but music and the rest of the things only you care about laugh.gif Of course, like all parents she is using emotional blackmailing laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 15 2014, 05:05 PM
Instructor
It's one of those questions that we all always had. And...there was never one, common answer. To many factors. Even 2 worldwide known virtuosos can found a few "lick" that just can't play the way the other one does smile.gif Also...at same point people make decission of how much attention will they give for developing technique, and how much for becoming a better musician.

There might be some guys that can't skip lesson from level above 7 but comparing to some "above 7 players" they could have their strong sides on different fields. For example.... (I'm just guessing) our "theory master" Matt is not a speed pickers (in fact he does not use the pick at all!) so I don't think He would like to master Ben's lesson at level 10....but (again I'm just guessing). Either Ben, Me or I suppose Todd as well will be smashed by Matt's ability to smoothly build phrases over countless number of chord progressions that are not "just one key".

So I could be a smart ass in case of picking but I know that on a jazz jam session my skills would be useless and I would not dare to challenge Matt in this field (hope to fix that missing spot in my skills someday smile.gif

So those things are not so obvious and depend on what are Your current interests. Comparisons are hard as hell smile.gif

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Mar 15 2014, 05:06 PM

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Mar 15 2014, 05:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
That is sooooo true the pieces I love I learn very quickly, I learned the Eddie van halen style one from Muiris Varajic in one day( memorized it) just because I like the piece so much as with other ones.

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 16 2014, 08:41 AM
Instructor
And there's another thing - we tend to do things our way, which is very healthy for anyone smile.gif I am saying that because, for instance, there was a Japanese mode lesson here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/modal_...irajoshi_scale/

I learned this one, but modified the positions so that they would fit my playing smile.gif I played the exact notes but in other spots. Adapting is crucial!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:25 PM