Guitar Noisy Problems
HaveGuitar
May 29 2017, 02:22 PM
GMC:er
Hi,

Just throwing this out here so see if anyone has any input... Last summer I bought a brand new Gibson SG High Performance, very happy at first as its a great guitar to play and the pickups also suits me fine as they are.

First problem I noted was a ringing sound, seems to have become worse and worse and it's especially notable when playing the A and D strings. (This is demoed last in the below video).

Second problem started later but it's also something that become worse over time... sound like some static noise, as if the cable is bad or something similar. It happends every now and then when you move the guitar and at loud volume it's very unpleasant for the ears...

Had it at the dealer 3 or 4 times and none of the times they have been able to reproduce the issue, but I have never had time to stay to demo the problems to them... eventhough I should have of course. I have now sent a link to the general agent in Sweden to see what they have to say about it...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Rammikin
May 29 2017, 03:09 PM
Experienced Rock Star
The ringing sounds like it might be the strings vibrating behind the nut and behind the bridge. As an experiment, try stuffing a rag under the strings behind the nut and behind the bridge to dampen them and prevent them from vibrating.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 29 2017, 03:20 PM
QUOTE (Rammikin @ May 29 2017, 02:09 PM) *
The ringing sounds like it might be the strings vibrating behind the nut and behind the bridge. As an experiment, try stuffing a rag under the strings behind the nut and behind the bridge to dampen them and prevent them from vibrating.

+1 , also check if you're winding string correct-the string must be winded close to the headstock something like this (without so many turns);

As for the jack issue, the jack input might have become loose and is letting the jack tip turn inside it. Can't be sure if its fixable or a part change is needed but it shouldn't be an expensive fix. But when fixed, buy a nice jack specificly for that guitar.

This happened to me; one of my fender brand jack's tip was thicker then my other jacks (very slight size increase, can't be noticed by looking). In time I had to keep using that jack till I replaced the jack input of my ibanez and then throw that jack cable to the garbage. Now I use the same jack cable for all my guitars.

This post has been edited by Mertay: May 29 2017, 04:16 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 29 2017, 04:21 PM
Yeah, the 'ringing is definitely something with the strings either behind the nut or behind the bridge.

The scratching noise sounds to me like static electricity. The back of your guitar and probably most importantly the back plate that accesses the pkup controls and input jack is rubbing on your clothes when you move it around. Check to see if that back plate is shielded on the inside with copper tape. *This can also happen when you touch the pick guard on some guitars. There's also a possibility that the ground wire has come loose.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 29 2017, 05:33 PM
Some great advice here. I've had a ground wire come loose and cause issue. If they can't replicate it at the shop, and you can't fix it at home, bring your amp in and show them what your getting. Sometimes if you just leave it, they plug it in, think it's fine and give it back.

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 29 2017, 11:21 AM) *
Yeah, the 'ringing is definitely something with the strings either behind the nut or behind the bridge.

The scratching noise sounds to me like static electricity. The back of your guitar and probably most importantly the back plate that accesses the pkup controls and input jack is rubbing on your clothes when you move it around. Check to see if that back plate is shielded on the inside with copper tape. *This can also happen when you touch the pick guard on some guitars. There's also a possibility that the ground wire has come loose.

+Quote Post
HaveGuitar
May 29 2017, 11:02 PM
The ringing, you seem to be spot on... I have been thinking that sound came from the pickup area but when I put a rag behind the nut it seemed to disappear. I've attached the strings according to Gibsons recommendation but that doesn't mean I shouldn't do it in another way of course. Even if thats an easy fix it's a bit disappointing for a guitar in this price range... anyways, thanks for all the answers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 1 2017, 10:01 AM
Instructor
Mertay is spot on as usually. This is exactly the sound the "inactive" part of the strings produce. You can use a piece of foam or a string muter to solve this. Of course at the headstock you can alwasy add pressurers but unfortunately very often they decrease tuning pegs operating "smoothness" because they add extra tension...even if lubricated. Foam may not look great but it does the job.

Attached Image

As for the first issue. I bet on a cable, plug, or input jack. It sound very mechanical. Probably there was no issue at the store because it could be a cable fault. Even if we have normalized dimmensions of jakc plugs, there happen to be 0,1mm thickness difference that would matter for that kind of issue. I have experienced this as well.

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Jun 1 2017, 10:02 AM

+Quote Post
HaveGuitar
Jun 1 2017, 01:03 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jun 1 2017, 09:01 AM) *
Mertay is spot on as usually. This is exactly the sound the "inactive" part of the strings produce. You can use a piece of foam or a string muter to solve this. Of course at the headstock you can alwasy add pressurers but unfortunately very often they decrease tuning pegs operating "smoothness" because they add extra tension...even if lubricated. Foam may not look great but it does the job.

As for the first issue. I bet on a cable, plug, or input jack. It sound very mechanical. Probably there was no issue at the store because it could be a cable fault. Even if we have normalized dimmensions of jakc plugs, there happen to be 0,1mm thickness difference that would matter for that kind of issue. I have experienced this as well.

Foam might not look good but it sure looks better than 100x60cm KISS flag, which I tried first in lack of any other cloth in the studio. I later tried with a sock but well, I think I'll go for the foam. smile.gif

As for the ugly sound - not cables, tried switching and it's the same. Now the agent came back to me after having studied the video and they have now concluded that it is ... drum roll... static electricity. Now that kinda makes sence, my brother-in-law said the same thing and he's an electrician. And in real life it do sound like static, that was my initial thought as well.
One idéa could be that it charges through the back of the guitar somehow, as it becomes increasingly worse as you wear the guitar and it rubs against you as you play. No idea yet, on how to prevent it. Plastics all over the back? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 1 2017, 01:35 PM
Kalasine mentioned it before, I didn't know it could be so severe like that. I'd say Google "guitar shielding" and check the photo's, usually foil (can be bought as tape) or a special paint is applyed. Start with the plate and see if that will be enough, otherwise the pots etc. must be removed to apply shielding at the inner area. Again, not an expensive fix.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 1 2017, 02:47 PM
You can spray the back of the guitar and the back plate with anti-static computer monitor spray. You can also rub it with a dryer 'softening' sheet. You can also do the same underneath the top pickguard.

Try shielding the inside of the back plate and pkgrd with copper tape.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 1 2017, 02:57 PM

+Quote Post
HaveGuitar
Jun 2 2017, 09:03 AM
Thanks again for all the replies, gonna have look for that anti-static spray for starters!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:47 PM