2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What Is The Hardest "beginner" Chord To Play?
Bear Rose
Nov 3 2010, 04:11 AM
Beginner Instructor
Hey everyone,

I'm wondering what everyone considers to be the hardest "beginner" chord to play. I'm putting "beginner" in quotation marks because I want you to define what you think a beginner chord is.

So, if you are a beginner starting out with your chords, which is the hardest one for you to play properly?

And if you are past the "beginner" stage, what was the hardest chord to learn when you were starting out?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
slash48
Nov 3 2010, 04:42 AM
GMC:er
When I first started it was the dreaded F chord. Barring the first finger on the E and B strings while keeping track of the other fingers and managing to keep everything clean and every note clearly ringing was not easy at the time.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 3 2010, 10:52 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
It has to be F smile.gif

It's the first barre chord I learnt, and I still remember how much I hated it laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 3 2010, 11:18 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
yup, agree with the others, F barre chord, actually I can remember struggling with barre chords full stop, I used to have to use my right hand to physically put my left hand fingers into the correct positions!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 3 2010, 11:36 AM
Learning Roadie
I agree with the others as well...but I didn't play the F chord for this reason. Instead, I stuck with some other chords. At first, the G chord was hard to get used to (the version where you use 3 fingers). I couldn't get my middle finger to stay on the A string. It kept wanting to hop up on the low e with my ring finger. This was my battle for a while when I first started.

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 3 2010, 12:14 PM
Definitiely F for me. I just couldn't do it at first. I actually found it easier to barre all the strings rather than just the ones needed I guess that helped

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Nov 3 2010, 02:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
+1 for the F chord and maybe the B also

Beginner is define here has: First month of playing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bear Rose
Nov 3 2010, 06:51 PM
Beginner Instructor
Yeah, when I teach students locally, I always save the F chord and the B chord for last, because they are definitely 2 of the hardest ones to learn when you are just starting out.

+Quote Post
CathShadow
Nov 3 2010, 08:05 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Funny enough, my first barre chord was actually the G, not the F so when I started, I found that one most difficult...

followed for my by D minor (purely cause I got used to D, and couldn't get my fingers to go to the correct places!!!...

--------------------

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 4 2010, 04:53 AM
I'm voting for that F as well. I had no trouble barring chords at any other fret but that F barred at fret 1 ... well, yeah, you know. Seems we all know smile.gif

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Nov 4 2010, 08:07 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hm, I was always comfortable with the barre chords, even the dreaded F. But I remember that a friend of mine struggled a long time with the F. It think for me some 7th chords were pretty difficult, but I don't know if they are considered beginner chords...?

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
whiskey5
Nov 9 2010, 09:25 PM
I'm a newb to the forum, and to guitar. Been lurking mostly, but alas - a forum for Absolute Beginners smile.gif

Been playing for 4 months now, got an ESP LTD EC1000 that I absolutely love.

My problem chord was, and still is to an extent, the A chord.

Initially I thought my fingers were too "fat" to fit in there. The problem being my middle finger would mute the D string, or my pinky muting the high E.

After googling "fat finger guitar", i realized fat fingers aren't the problem, and I just am not ensuring proper placement of fingers. Which requires me to slow down when practicing, and get the fingers right.

I was close to resolving the issue by telling myself "just go ahead and let the high E be muted if it happens...", but I decided against that and continue on the take it slow and get it right approach.

I finger the chord with index on D, middle on G, ring on B.

I know C A G D E F B, and A is the trickiest one for me.

Conversely, I picked up the F chord pretty easily.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 9 2010, 10:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
F ofcourse tongue.gif haha, and probably learning to play the A# chord using the 'easy' form, with the flat ring finger wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Bear Rose
Nov 11 2010, 06:35 AM
Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (whiskey5 @ Nov 9 2010, 05:25 PM) *
I'm a newb to the forum, and to guitar. Been lurking mostly, but alas - a forum for Absolute Beginners smile.gif

Been playing for 4 months now, got an ESP LTD EC1000 that I absolutely love.

My problem chord was, and still is to an extent, the A chord.

Initially I thought my fingers were too "fat" to fit in there. The problem being my middle finger would mute the D string, or my pinky muting the high E.

After googling "fat finger guitar", i realized fat fingers aren't the problem, and I just am not ensuring proper placement of fingers. Which requires me to slow down when practicing, and get the fingers right.

I was close to resolving the issue by telling myself "just go ahead and let the high E be muted if it happens...", but I decided against that and continue on the take it slow and get it right approach.

I finger the chord with index on D, middle on G, ring on B.

I know C A G D E F B, and A is the trickiest one for me.

Conversely, I picked up the F chord pretty easily.

Thats pretty unique! Very cool that you picked up the F chord easily. And it is interesting that the A is the hardest for you.

Another way that you might try to finger the chord is like this: middle on D, ring on G, and pinky on B. That may help because it will be easier to fit your fingers in there. I've started playing the chord that way sometimes and I like it.

+Quote Post
whiskey5
Nov 13 2010, 09:48 PM
QUOTE (Bear Rose @ Nov 11 2010, 05:35 AM) *
Another way that you might try to finger the chord is like this: middle on D, ring on G, and pinky on B. That may help because it will be easier to fit your fingers in there. I've started playing the chord that way sometimes and I like it.

Thanks for the great tip.

The intro to "The Shock of the Lightning" by Oasis has A am, and now I can play along smile.gif

This post has been edited by whiskey5: Nov 13 2010, 09:48 PM

+Quote Post
Bear Rose
Nov 15 2010, 10:01 PM
Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (whiskey5 @ Nov 13 2010, 05:48 PM) *
Thanks for the great tip.

The intro to "The Shock of the Lightning" by Oasis has A am, and now I can play along smile.gif

Awesome! I remember when I would learn new chords and they would be like keys that would unlock new sets of songs that I could learn.

This post has been edited by Bear Rose: Nov 15 2010, 10:01 PM

+Quote Post
Kael
Dec 5 2010, 04:37 AM
F seems to be the one im struggling with so far, im not getting a clean tone consistantly, still...its good to see im not the only one having some trouble with it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
Dec 30 2010, 05:47 PM
Learning Roadie
I remember my brother saying to me that the worst part of the day at home was when I was practicing chords. biggrin.gif And definitely the most difficult one to get right was F for me, too. However, when we are talking about chord progressions, I'd also add B7 and C7 (from the open position) to the list since they are kind of tricky for the left hand.

But practicing chords is definitely worth it. I think it may have done more to my playing than anything else. smile.gif

+Quote Post
quadrium
Dec 30 2010, 07:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
I remember the barre chords are the most challenging chords for me when i was learning.

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Dec 30 2010, 07:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Kristian Hyvarinen @ Dec 30 2010, 05:47 PM) *
I remember my brother saying to me that the worst part of the day at home was when I was practicing chords.

Practice without amp tongue.gif
Why would anyone practice finger placements with an amp?

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Dec 30 2010, 07:35 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:33 AM