2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Suggestions, need something similar
Marshmall0wz
Aug 16 2008, 12:40 AM
GMC:er
So my dream amp is a Mesa Boogie Lonestar. I can't afford it because im probably getting a Gibson Les Paul Studio and im low on cash. What would be a cheaper 500-750 alternative that is very similar.

u guys rock thx

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Aug 16 2008, 01:51 AM
come on guys!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 16 2008, 02:32 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I'm not too familiar with the lonestar, sorry sad.gif
Hopefully someone else will be able to help you..

I want one as well though biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Aug 16 2008, 02:45 AM
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Aug 15 2008, 09:32 PM) *
I'm not too familiar with the lonestar, sorry sad.gif
Hopefully someone else will be able to help you..

I want one as well though biggrin.gif

thx

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
superpanda
Aug 16 2008, 05:28 AM
get a fender tube amp biggrin.gif
thats just my subjective opinion though.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 16 2008, 08:38 AM
Lets go fishing!
Well the Mesa Boogie lonestar is my DREAM amp biggrin.gif I have looked at just about every amp going recently and nothing compares. I am going to buy the Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 which is a bit cheaper (not much) as soon as I have the cash.

Im sorry to say you may be hard pressed to find something with a similair voice on a budget. But the Fenders have a similair voice and sound great, but they do not do high gain very well.

regards
matt smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 16 2008, 10:05 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Marshmall0wz @ Aug 16 2008, 01:40 AM) *
So my dream amp is a Mesa Boogie Lonestar. I can't afford it because im probably getting a Gibson Les Paul Studio and im low on cash. What would be a cheaper 500-750 alternative that is very similar.

u guys rock thx

for which country and which currency?

I'm assuming it's for USA and then you could try a B-52 which they say is voiced just right.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 16 2008, 07:08 PM
Instructor
Maybe Mesa Express combo is a good choice?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
inertia
Aug 16 2008, 07:17 PM
I was going to suggest the express as well but I think they are more expense than his budget would allow, keep in mind the express 5:25 is more british sounding and the 5:50 is more american sounding due to the different tubes, it's not just a case of one has more output than the other, the price difference isn't very big between the two though

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 16 2008, 10:21 PM
QUOTE (inertia @ Aug 16 2008, 08:17 PM) *
I was going to suggest the express as well but I think they are more expense than his budget would allow, keep in mind the express 5:25 is more british sounding and the 5:50 is more american sounding due to the different tubes, it's not just a case of one has more output than the other, the price difference isn't very big between the two though

Yeah, I suppose the 5:50 would qualify as more true mesa-sounding, though the Lonestar come in EL84 aswell like the 5:25 - or 6L6GC which can be exchanged for EL34 so pretty much "all of the above"

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Aug 17 2008, 12:07 AM
yeah the express would probably be a bit high but what about B-52?

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 17 2008, 12:25 AM
QUOTE (Marshmall0wz @ Aug 17 2008, 01:07 AM) *
yeah the express would probably be a bit high but what about B-52?

The B-52 is cheap, I don't know the US market by heart but like 500-700 USD for a new one. Search harmony central for reviews.

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Aug 17 2008, 01:35 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 16 2008, 07:25 PM) *
The B-52 is cheap, I don't know the US market by heart but like 500-700 USD for a new one. Search harmony central for reviews.

good idea ill check it out

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
FrankW
Aug 17 2008, 04:12 AM
I see you've already got two electric guitars, etc. It depends on how bad you want one. If I were you, I'd pass on the Les Paul and buy one of the best amps there is...the Lonestar.

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Aug 17 2008, 01:40 PM
QUOTE (FrankW @ Aug 16 2008, 11:12 PM) *
I see you've already got two electric guitars, etc. It depends on how bad you want one. If I were you, I'd pass on the Les Paul and buy one of the best amps there is...the Lonestar.

sacrafice! haha im terrible at that but that gives me more to think on!

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Aug 17 2008, 11:39 PM
topic done? any other peeps?

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
inertia
Aug 18 2008, 01:59 AM
well dude I think you need to try out some other tube amps, if you want that nice warm tubey sound you obviously need to buy a real tube amp.
Try out a few different varieties in your price range, just a few: vox ac15, fender princeton and other fenders, some laneys
get a nice bb preamp or fulltone ocd overdrive, hook it up and see which one has the best clean and sounds the best overdriven and there is your amp I guess.
The best answer though is just save up for a lonestar or buy an express if you want a boogie, you'll just need to squeeze out a few more dollars
Go to musiciansfriend.com and look at tube combos in your price range, look up videos of them on youtube and check the specs/manuals on their website, make a shortlist and then go to the store and try them out

This post has been edited by inertia: Aug 18 2008, 02:00 AM

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 18 2008, 09:00 PM
Lets go fishing!
The Boogie Express 5:50 sounds alot like the Lonestar, it also has the same tube types and alot of similaritys. But it is also very very expensive !!! ohmy.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Aug 19 2008, 10:09 PM
QUOTE (inertia @ Aug 17 2008, 08:59 PM) *
well dude I think you need to try out some other tube amps, if you want that nice warm tubey sound you obviously need to buy a real tube amp.
Try out a few different varieties in your price range, just a few: vox ac15, fender princeton and other fenders, some laneys
get a nice bb preamp or fulltone ocd overdrive, hook it up and see which one has the best clean and sounds the best overdriven and there is your amp I guess.
The best answer though is just save up for a lonestar or buy an express if you want a boogie, you'll just need to squeeze out a few more dollars
Go to musiciansfriend.com and look at tube combos in your price range, look up videos of them on youtube and check the specs/manuals on their website, make a shortlist and then go to the store and try them out

ill start that right now! thx smile.gif

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Aug 19 2008, 10:16 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 16 2008, 02:08 PM) *
Maybe Mesa Express combo is a good choice?

+1 Might run around $1100 - that's what I paid and it is well worth every penny.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:36 AM