Amplifier Hum
fkalich
May 30 2015, 05:59 AM
GMC:er
I am talking about tube amps here.

I have a half dozen large ones. A couple of them have a little hum, ether 60 cycle or 120 cycle. It is only noticeable at bed room levels.

Before I go on, yes, I like playing a big amp even at bed room levels. I don't like small amps. I don't like small amps, or plugging into some digital device rather than my big tube amps. My big tube amps are part of my manhood. I consider playing anything but a big tube amp analogous to going outside not wearing any pants.

Also, when people ask about this, most guys start taking about pickups and cords and noise gates and things. NO NO NO! What I am talking about has nothing to do with this. If you won't accept that, please go on to the next thread. I am talking about that background 60 cycle hum that you likely get from some tubes having capacitance, or 120 cycle hum that you likely get from filter capacitors not doing the job. Or perhaps something else picking up the capacitance. But it occurs even when no guitar or anything whatever plugged in, even with the volume turned to zero, so long as your master volume is turned up.

Any thoughts on this? I sometimes think that so long as it is not too loud, well some Amplifiers have a little hum, just the way it is. How do you feel? I have one amp still in warranty with a little of this hum, I think 120 cycle. And another I just recently purchased that also has the same hum just about. I have heard some guys say that they have never had an amp that did not have some background hum. But I have some with hardly any at all. I am trying to decide whether to complain about the one I just purchased and ask for a replacement, or if I am being too picky. I like getting what I want, but like to avoid being a jack ass when possible, even when dealing with a large merchant.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 30 2015, 06:07 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2021 - 03:23 PM