Bending Technique
Tyson
Dec 4 2009, 05:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Dear Muris,
When i bend a string to a semi-tone there's no problem, but when i want to reach a whole tone, the finger pushes also the next string and it sounds.
what can i do to prevent it from ringing? mute with the right hand?
I'd appreciate a sugestion.
Thank you very much
Miguel

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 4 2009, 06:17 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Tyson @ Dec 4 2009, 11:51 AM) *
Dear Muris,
When i bend a string to a semi-tone there's no problem, but when i want to reach a whole tone, the finger pushes also the next string and it sounds.
what can i do to prevent it from ringing? mute with the right hand?
I'd appreciate a sugestion.
Thank you very much
Miguel

I've always found a couple of things that helped: make sure your fingertips (more than one finger is key, especially in the beginning) are positioned slightly below the string and not 'on' it like you would if you were just playing a note in a run, so when you bend up the finger has more leverage against the string. Also, it often helps to have your thumb wrapped around the neck for extra hand strength. That should about do it for the actual bend mechanic, but to stop the other strings from ringing I usually do it entirely with the left hand. You want to be able to really dig in with the picking hand and not have to worry about muting, at least in my experience. Muris may say otherwise.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 5 2009, 12:51 PM
Instructor
JVM gave you some nice inputs indeed.
I might add that wrapping thumb around neck when doing bends is also
very useful for muting as well as for getting extra strength,
it can nicely mute few low strings if not more, depends of how "deep" you wrap it.
You can also use your left hand index finger to mute, I use it very often when doing bends,
I guess it happened first time when I tried "raking", you hit few strings but you play just one actually.
Put your index finger like if you were playing bare, slightly touching strings and not fretting, it comes in handy.
Problem is that you won't be able to use index finger strength for bends but
it's not the must to use it all the time, it's just one option to consider.
And also be aware of strings action, if action is too low then you might have real problems,
normal or slightly higher action is quite recommended for bends since fingertips
have some space to go bellow strings that you are not playing and not on them,
which causes all unwanted noise etc
Let me know if you need more input. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Tyson
Dec 7 2009, 11:38 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Dec 4 2009, 06:17 PM) *
I've always found a couple of things that helped: make sure your fingertips (more than one finger is key, especially in the beginning) are positioned slightly below the string and not 'on' it like you would if you were just playing a note in a run, so when you bend up the finger has more leverage against the string. Also, it often helps to have your thumb wrapped around the neck for extra hand strength. That should about do it for the actual bend mechanic, but to stop the other strings from ringing I usually do it entirely with the left hand. You want to be able to really dig in with the picking hand and not have to worry about muting, at least in my experience. Muris may say otherwise.

Thank you very much for helping!
Cheers
Miguel

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Dec 5 2009, 12:51 PM) *
JVM gave you some nice inputs indeed.
I might add that wrapping thumb around neck when doing bends is also
very useful for muting as well as for getting extra strength,
it can nicely mute few low strings if not more, depends of how "deep" you wrap it.
You can also use your left hand index finger to mute, I use it very often when doing bends,
I guess it happened first time when I tried "raking", you hit few strings but you play just one actually.
Put your index finger like if you were playing bare, slightly touching strings and not fretting, it comes in handy.
Problem is that you won't be able to use index finger strength for bends but
it's not the must to use it all the time, it's just one option to consider.
And also be aware of strings action, if action is too low then you might have real problems,
normal or slightly higher action is quite recommended for bends since fingertips
have some space to go bellow strings that you are not playing and not on them,
which causes all unwanted noise etc
Let me know if you need more input. smile.gif

I haven't thought about the strings action. That may actually be the problem!
Thank you very much.
Miguel

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 7 2009, 12:21 PM
Instructor
You are very welcome, check out the action and see how it works. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Tyson
Dec 7 2009, 02:32 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Dec 7 2009, 12:21 PM) *
You are very welcome, check out the action and see how it works. smile.gif

Problem solved!!!
just raised a little bit all strings and here I am bending like a pro biggrin.gif
Once again, Thank you very very much!
Miguel

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 7 2009, 04:15 PM
Instructor
Ohh, that's brilliant to hear, now rock the house and whole neighborhood!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
Jan 10 2010, 02:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Muris,

I'd like to know how you get the "thick" sound in your bends, for example in the lesson "Lydian soloing - beginner". smile.gif Do you hit a muted string below the bended string to get an extra noise in the beginning?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 10 2010, 08:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristian Hyvarinen @ Jan 10 2010, 02:33 PM) *
Muris,

I'd like to know how you get the "thick" sound in your bends, for example in the lesson "Lydian soloing - beginner". smile.gif Do you hit a muted string below the bended string to get an extra noise in the beginning?

I'm not totally sure what stands for "thick" but I guess you're talking about that noise right before bend
since you mentioned that.
People call that raking technique, you mute few strings above the one you're about to play,
you play them all but not at once, more like a strumming or sweeping.
I do it by putting my index finger on other strings, I hope you can see that in video.
Others may just use palm muting for muting other strings but I have found my index to be much more useful,
at least for me. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
Jan 10 2010, 08:31 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, that's what I thought. Thank you! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 11 2010, 04:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristian Hyvarinen @ Jan 10 2010, 08:31 PM) *
Yeah, that's what I thought. Thank you! biggrin.gif

Not a problem. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:36 PM