7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Which Recording Interface?
Phil66
Feb 20 2016, 11:35 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Todd,
Well this is the reason I'm not rushing this one, these things all have something you want but none of them have everything you want. It's one of those, if you could take the bits you want from each device that would be great but that's not how it is so it takes time to weigh it all up.
I've just spent an hour lying in bed looking at the Focusrite 18i8 on my tablet, it looks almost ideal, no fannying around with scroll buttons just direct to the job.
I downloaded the manual and it confused me a little bit. In the direct monitoring section it says to overcome latency you can use direct monitoring and to do this you route the signal to the headphone sockets. Can't you direct monitor using monitors? It doesn't mention it but if you can't I won't buy it.
Other than that it looks the best for me note, 3+ inputs on the front being the main thing.
Cheers
smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 20 2016, 11:36 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 20 2016, 05:04 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 20 2016, 10:35 AM) *
I downloaded the manual and it confused me a little bit. In the direct monitoring section it says to overcome latency you can use direct monitoring and to do this you route the signal to the headphone sockets. Can't you direct monitor using monitors? It doesn't mention it but if you can't I won't buy it.
Other than that it looks the best for me note, 3+ inputs on the front being the main thing.
Cheers
smile.gif

not being able to monitor through main outs doesn't make sense to me, I'd guess the manual gives missing information. But to be sure its best to write to their support, hopefully won't take them too long to answer.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 20 2016, 05:12 PM
Thanks Mertay,
Doesn't make sense to me either, I would think direct monitoring through the main speakers would be standard.
Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 20 2016, 09:03 PM
Not to worry smile.gif This is from their web site
"Direct monitoring allows a user to listen to the input signal of the interface with near zero latency. It takes the input signal on the interface and sends it straight to the headphone and line outputs on the device."

so it goes to the line outs which go to your speakers as well ohmy.gif) Very cool interface and has handy knobs right on the front and good bits inside

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 20 2016, 05:35 AM) *
Thanks Todd,
Well this is the reason I'm not rushing this one, these things all have something you want but none of them have everything you want. It's one of those, if you could take the bits you want from each device that would be great but that's not how it is so it takes time to weigh it all up.
I've just spent an hour lying in bed looking at the Focusrite 18i8 on my tablet, it looks almost ideal, no fannying around with scroll buttons just direct to the job.
Cheers
smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 20 2016, 09:13 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 20 2016, 08:03 PM) *
Not to worry smile.gif This is from their web site
"Direct monitoring allows a user to listen to the input signal of the interface with near zero latency. It takes the input signal on the interface and sends it straight to the headphone and line outputs on the device."

so it goes to the line outs which go to your speakers as well ohmy.gif) Very cool interface and has handy knobs right on the front and good bits inside

Thanks Todd,

In the manual it says:

Using Direct Monitoring
You will frequently hear the term “latency” used in connection with digital audio systems. In the case
of the simple DAW recording application described above, latency will be the time it takes for your
input signals to pass through your computer and audio software, and back out again via your audio
interface. Latency can be a problem for a performer who wishes to record while monitoring their
input signals.
The Scarlett 18i8, in conjunction with Scarlett MixControl, allows “Direct Monitoring”, which
overcomes this problem. You can route your input signals directly to any of the Scarlett 18i8’s
headphone outputs. This enables the musicians to hear themselves with ultra-low latency – i.e.,
effectively in “real time” – along with the computer playback. The input signals to the computer are
not affected in any way by this setting.
In the example, each vocalist is receiving his/her own monitor mix, because they each have their
“own” Scarlett 18i8 headphone output. Scarlett MixControl lets you define up to eight separate mixes,
and these mixes may include previously recorded DAW tracks as well the current input signals.

Can you see why I'm confused? Do you think I should be sure by asking support? I'm pretty much decided on this one. Nice and simple, no fannying about with touch screens or scroll buttons etc.

Cheers dude.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 21 2016, 11:09 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 21 2016, 11:10 AM
UPDATE:

I'm going for the Focusrite I think. There's a lot to learn if THIS review is anything to go by. He says the mic inputs aren't very sensitive but hopefully my SM57 will be ok. I guess I'll gently breask myself into using it while still using the GT-001 at first. Then I'll sort out how to connect the GT-001 to the Focusrite (I don't know the difference between balanced, unbalanced, line and instrument inputs yet) then I'll want to try the fx loop on the Peavey.
The mixer control software looks complicated to me but I don't know if it has to be used.
I guess this is the next step into real recording so I need to take time to learn it but not take too much practice time huh.gif it will be worth it in the end as I won't be so restricted as I am now smile.gif

Cheers folks smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 22 2016, 11:00 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 21 2016, 10:10 AM) *
UPDATE:
(I don't know the difference between balanced, unbalanced, line and instrument inputs yet)

The mixer control software looks complicated to me but I don't know if it has to be used.
I guess this is the next step into real recording so I need to take time to learn it but not take too much practice time huh.gif it will be worth it in the end as I won't be so restricted as I am now smile.gif

Cheers folks smile.gif

Instruments inputs are for connecting the guitar directly cause line inputs makes the guitar sound muddy cause of low impadance. They can also be refered to hi-z input.

Balanced it usually refered to xlr (for mic.s) but can mean outputs for monitors too as usually one side of the cable is xlr while the other is line type for monitor outs. Same for unbalaced, usually refered to for line.

And yeah I don't expect you needing the mixer software. It's basically routes signals and adjust levels for live recording of a band.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 22 2016, 11:48 AM
Thanks Mertay,
So if I wanted to go direct from my GT-001 into the interface, which inputs should I use?
Cheers mate smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 22 2016, 12:22 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 22 2016, 10:48 AM) *
Thanks Mertay,
So if I wanted to go direct from my GT-001 into the interface, which inputs should I use?
Cheers mate smile.gif

Most would say line-in and thats not wrong but I'd advice trying instrument too as you might prefer the tone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 22 2016, 01:25 PM
Cheers,

I'm just waiting for clarification about the direct monitoring through speakers wink.gif

Phil

UPDATE:
Contacted Focusrite today, they have a live tech chat available from 1pm to 1am smile.gif
He said you can monitor through the speakers and was going to speak to them about changing the manual smile.gif
I'll order this evening smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 22 2016, 06:46 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 22 2016, 09:38 PM
It's ordered smile.gif

But this scares me blink.gif I haven't a clue unsure.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqgxduXH6Yg

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 22 2016, 10:06 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 22 2016, 08:38 PM) *
It's ordered smile.gif

But this scares me blink.gif I haven't a clue unsure.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqgxduXH6Yg

It has presets so thats cool, though you'll just setup and forget it smile.gif defoult seems to be ultra-low-latency, you might not have to change that at all smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 22 2016, 10:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 22 2016, 10:12 PM
Thanks Mertay,

I don't know why but I'm terrible with options, I just like things plain and simple, plug in and go, that's why I hate testing lots of things, I can never make my mind up what I like the best laugh.gif

It will be here on Wednesday but I won't be able to give it a good try until Thursday as I'm out Wednesday evening for a couple of hours.

Also I'm away all weekend.

Cheers smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 22 2016, 11:10 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 22 2016, 10:56 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 22 2016, 09:12 PM) *
Thanks Mertay,

I don't know why but I'm terrible with options, I just like things plain and simple, plug in and go, that's why I hate testing lots of things, I can never make my mind up one what I like the best laugh.gif

It will be here on Wednesday but I won't be able to give it a good try until Thursday as I'm out Wednesday evening for a couple of hours.

Also I'm away all weekend.

Cheers smile.gif

Hopefully you'll install it and setup reaper to make a quick recording, if that works %90 of the battle is already won biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 23 2016, 08:27 AM
Cheers Mertay,

Fingers crossed. I guess I had to get to this point one day eh?

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 23 2016, 09:03 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 23 2016, 07:27 AM) *
Cheers Mertay,

Fingers crossed. I guess I had to get to this point one day eh?

Cheers

When watching video's of sound engineers we always see them do cool stuff like recording, mixing with crazy equipment. Truth is an important part of the job is routing biggrin.gif

Its usually the main job of the assistant in a studio but on stage this is much more critical as its almost always done from scratch, there are many people making a living by just doing this in the business.

For home usage though it not common. Unless you're going to record a band at home or taking that soundcard outside you won't need such routing from a soundcard (or a mixer) but having a basic knowledge is always good smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 24 2016, 03:03 PM
The Scarlet bad boy has arrived, looks a lovely piece of kit, nice and solid and the red brushed aluminium is gorgeous biggrin.gif

Won't get much time with it until tomorrow though sad.gif

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Tom51
Feb 24 2016, 03:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Congrats Phil. I installed my Focusrite Clarett (Thunderbolt version) yesterday. Very happy so far.
Cheers Tom

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 24 2016, 05:12 PM
Great news Tom,

Hopefully we can help each other out. Have you tried the FX loop yet? I didn't know it had one of those, or rather I didn't know that SPIDIF could be used for that wink.gif

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 24 2016, 05:32 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Tom51
Feb 24 2016, 05:45 PM
Learning Roadie
Not yet Phil wink.gif
The installation/registration and download took me a while and I also watched all videos about installation Focusrite provides once you are logged on there. Now I just use the front input for testing with Cubase but when the Kemper comes I will have to get deeper into all the details. But so far sound usability and everything else was really very promising.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:06 PM