10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Who Inspired You?, To play guitar BETTER!
Fsgdjv
Jun 25 2007, 11:59 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (JVM @ Jun 25 2007, 08:13 AM) *
So, my previous post stands, but I don't get all the kirk hammett hate! It's not just here, it just seems to me that no one likes kirk. Then again, a lot of people think metallica sold out and won't listen to them anymore (I think that's ridiculous).

So, why the hate on kirk? I think he's amazing. So what if he's sloppy?

I just have to say that I love Kirk, even though he might be sloppy, his solos are at least good in a musical way, and just that makes him ten times better than Yngwie.

(And while I don't think metallica sold out, I just think they started to suck after the black album, but that doesn't change the fact that I love them, I'm even going to see them live later this summer, so it's just stupid to not listen to them anymore even though they've made some crappy records tongue.gif )

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 25 2007, 02:18 PM
Learning Tone Master
Dimebag Darrel, James Hetfield and ofc Zakk Wylde

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 25 2007, 06:18 PM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Jun 25 2007, 04:59 AM) *
I just have to say that I love Kirk, even though he might be sloppy, his solos are at least good in a musical way, and just that makes him ten times better than Yngwie.

(And while I don't think metallica sold out, I just think they started to suck after the black album, but that doesn't change the fact that I love them, I'm even going to see them live later this summer, so it's just stupid to not listen to them anymore even though they've made some crappy records tongue.gif )

i totally agree with you man, Kirk's solos are very amazing, and when you analize each lick of the solo its amazing how together can make up such a great solo.

And well, im still a great fan of metallica, like you said, just because they made crappy records doesent mean they arent great anymore.!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jun 25 2007, 08:10 PM
Kirk Hammet
Slash
Zakk Wylde
are all some of my influences.

But I dont gey why everyone everyone says Hammet is sloppy
he might not be as clean as Ywingie or Steve Vai but there is a reason
why like three of Mettalicas solos are in the top 50 solos of all time

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Jun 25 2007, 09:10 PM
I CANT STAND Kirks "solos", if you can call them that. it all seems so routine, theres no feeling.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 25 2007, 09:13 PM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Jun 25 2007, 01:10 PM) *
Kirk Hammet
Slash
Zakk Wylde
are all some of my influences.

But I dont gey why everyone everyone says Hammet is sloppy
he might not be as clean as Ywingie or Steve Vai but there is a reason
why like three of Mettalicas solos are in the top 50 solos of all time

hell yeah man! there must be a reason for that!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 25 2007, 09:26 PM
Instructor
Well i guess it's like that because those charts where created 10 years ago when Metallica was something new. Those charts are never renewed or reviewed. And they are also as dumb as those TOP 10 guitarists charts. It's all based on someone's opinion.

You know - how can you decide which orchestra plays better? You ca! Give them all the same symphony to play and then you'll see which orchestra plays with more feeling, more expression, more in style of music period when the piece was written. But rock music is TOTALLY opinion based.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 25 2007, 09:45 PM
Learning Roadie
Personally I would have rewritten those top 100 guitarists and top 100 solos of all time lists, but kirk is still way up there in both of those. There's a lot I'd like to add to both lists though. I agree that Metallica hasn't been as good as in the past, but I still really liked everything they did post black album with the exception of St. Anger.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jun 25 2007, 11:30 PM
Yeah there are a lot of new solos that could be way up there but I still think
Hammets playing is not sloppy

PS- Pavel I do think that the top 100 guitarists is a complete joke theres just to many unknown great guitarists to do that

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Jun 25 2007, 11:31 PM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jun 26 2007, 04:40 AM
Getting into discussions like this gets me into trouble with guitarists, but it's fun...

You guys are forgetting something in the talk about sloppy playing. Who are the guys who are known for making a bigger impact on rock? Cobain, Plant and Hendrix and Hammett affected the world of music a lot more than Buckethead, Petrucci and Vai will. Album sales isn't everything, of course but it's hard to change the world with music that only music majors and guitar players are going to understand.

That said, I am looking into starting lessons from a neoclassical player towards the end of the summer. I think that the theory I'd pick up along the way would be more helpful to what I want to do (meaning, more than just guitar), and I think learning to play that way would help prepare me to be able to play whatever comes to mind.

So I don't want anyone to think that I don't value skill and clean technique....if I didn't, I wouldn't be here. I just think that one is better equipped to break the rules when one knows what the rules are.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 26 2007, 01:25 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Jun 25 2007, 11:40 PM) *
I just think that one is better equipped to break the rules when one knows what the rules are.

Amen to that!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jun 26 2007, 04:04 PM
Now that I think of it, I didn't really answer the question. I like guitar a bit messed up. I like the old blues players with cheap, nasty guitars. I like guys that make a mess with them like Ministry and Nirvana. Neil Young's Weld album just rocked my world. And Dick Dale.

This post has been edited by Scott Gentzen: Jun 27 2007, 01:40 AM

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 27 2007, 07:04 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Odd as it sounds I wanted to learn the Sax but it was too expensive (wanted to be John Coltraine or Michael Brecker). I ended up with an old Ibanez Silver Series Strat copy as it was cheap. Musical taste then diverged as a teenager and the first guitar solo I wanted to learn was The Only Ones 'Another Girl Another Planet' (still love that song).

As I got more into guitar influences/those I admire became:

Allan Holdsworth
Mike Stern
Steve Vai
Pat Metheny
Mike Goodrick
Pat Martino
Uli Jon Roth
Frank Gambale
Joe Pass

Cheers,
T

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Matt
Jun 29 2007, 02:10 PM
I first started out listening to my uncle play alot of deep purple, Jimi Hendrix guitar type stuff when i was about 4 or 5. I loved watching him play all the different guitars and amps he had. Unfortunately he died when i was about 5 and a half but i really got into guitar listening to the 2 old records i found, these being dity deeds done dirt cheap and back in black by acdc. From there i got really inspired by black sabbath and then metallica.

My fascination with Metallica and the Kirk Hammett solos is kinda starting to wear off now and im really begging to get back into Black Sabbath, along with Ozzy and Black Label Society and Pantera.

I have no idea wot it is about Zakk, Randy and Dimebag , but they just inspire me so much, their solos are nuts tongue.gif

Would be cool to know who else agrees with me

--------------------
"Keep Bleeding On 'Til The Day You Die, Forever Love it Loud" - Black Label Society

+Quote Post
acousticwanabee
Jul 10 2007, 06:23 AM
hmmmm

1.clapton
2.keller williams
3.tommy emmanuel

+Quote Post
Sander
Jul 13 2007, 02:18 PM
First of all: Rory Gallagher, a shy man, but an immensly powerful performer, then Alvin Lee, from Ten Years After, his 'Slow blues in C' is one of the finest pieces of guitarwork I know, and Brian My....

--------------------
Candy Apple Red Strat

+Quote Post
Travelin' Man
Jul 13 2007, 04:08 PM
I had some of the best talent of the time during my youth...Clapton in Cream, Hendrix, of course, Frampton in Humble Pie, Ronnie Montrose, Beck, Page, than Schenker, Gorham, Moore, etc...way too many to mentioin here

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Jul 24 2007, 02:44 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jun 25 2007, 09:13 PM) *
hell yeah man! there must be a reason for that!

I seen a joke on youtube the other day in one of the comment because some people were argueing on which guitarist is better...Personally I'm sick to death with that argument. Leading to the joke, which I think most will appreciate:

How many guitarist does it take to change a light bulb?

100!
1 to change the bulb, and 99 to say they could have done it better

Who inspired me?

Metallica, Pantera, BB King, Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Black Sabbath, many many others.

It's not about how fast you can rip a scale, I need to like your songs tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Jul 24 2007, 02:50 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Gustavo
Jul 24 2007, 05:57 PM
malmsteen!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Electric_Blues
Aug 2 2007, 10:39 PM
QUOTE (Gustavo @ Jul 24 2007, 05:57 PM) *
malmsteen!! biggrin.gif

Stevie ray vaughan and the instructors from this site, teaching that anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:58 PM