4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
I Quit!
skennington
Sep 12 2009, 05:11 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Smoking that is and it's killing me at the moment so I'm doing something else by writing this to get my mind off of it.. laugh.gif Just had lunch and anyone who smokes knows how that "after meal" smoke is. wink.gif

I've been using sunflower seeds to curve my cravings and it has helped. I wanted to do this on my on without any prescription help and I'm determined to make it. smile.gif

After smoking for near 20 years now, I feel it's time and I certainly don't ever want my kids to start. I slowly backed myself off over the last week until yesterday...

9-11-09 completely quit and for good! (9-11) For Courage
\Wish Me Luck/

Steve

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dark_dude
Sep 12 2009, 05:13 PM
GMC:er
Be strong man! You can do it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
*Ibanez 2550E Prestige
*LTD EC-1000
*Squier bullet
----
*Roland Cube 30W
----
*Line 6 Pod Studio GX
My Practice Agenda

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 12 2009, 05:14 PM
Awesome Skenny, Wish you the best of luck !

I had problems with that for awhile. And I am only ( 16!)

Anyways, once I finally quit, you do feel like your one step ahead of the game.

The game being all the people still smoking! And you might want to also try Gum!

I wish you all luck in the world !

-John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 12 2009, 05:15 PM
I'm in almost the exact same boat, 20 (or 21 now?) years of smoking and I've been desperately wanting the courage and willpower to quit for the last ... I dunno, like 5 years or more. I'm so tired of doing it.

Maybe I'll join you in quitting today, but I'm not doing it without patches. I totally lose my mind when I've tried it without those at least.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 12 2009, 05:18 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Strong my brave friend, it will happen eventually smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Staffy
Sep 12 2009, 05:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
Good luck!!!! It can be done! I have quitted everything else: whiskey, women, late nights - you name it, but smoking is the last outpost of sin (except for coffee) that I have. I dont dare to quit, cause then I'm probobly going to be a even more worse nutcake than I already am..... hmmm, but maybe if I'm starting with women again.....

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
skennington
Sep 12 2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys! @ Jafo, do it man, I know we will feel better and not to mention, save a helluva lot of money! biggrin.gif

Ciggs are $5.00/pack here in North Carolina.

1 pack a day over a year...365 X 5.00 = $1825.00 ohmy.gif Another great reason to quit! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 12 2009, 05:25 PM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Sep 12 2009, 09:23 AM) *
Good luck!!!! It can be done! I have quitted everything else: whiskey, women, late nights - you name it, but smoking is the last outpost of sin (except for coffee) that I have. I dont dare to quit, cause then I'm probobly going to be a even more worse nutcake than I already am..... hmmm, but maybe if I'm starting with women again.....

I see no reason for you quiting women lol

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 12 2009, 05:30 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Way to go!! Best of luck to you, when I quit I kept a pack of Marlboro with one single fag left in it at home. That way in case I failed I wouldn't tear myself apart over getting in the car late at night and driving to the store for just one lousy pack of cigarettes since that'd be a huge failure compared to just smoking the last one in the house. Would be easier on my mind I thought smile.gif

Good luck mate! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Staffy
Sep 12 2009, 05:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Sep 12 2009, 06:25 PM) *
I see no reason for you quiting women lol

I didn't quit them, they quitted me!!!! tongue.gif

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 12 2009, 05:34 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 12 2009, 11:30 AM) *
when I quit I kept a pack of Marlboro with one single fag left in it at home.

This is one of the reasons I've been less willing to quit since I moved out of a city and into a suburb; I'm terrified of driving in the state that I get to. I seriously become a rampaging monster if I lose it and there are simply no places that I can walk to from here. It's not just a question of laziness or distance, there's multi-lane highways and no sidewalks or crossable intersections for miles.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
skennington
Sep 12 2009, 06:01 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 12 2009, 12:30 PM) *
when I quit I kept a pack of Marlboro with one single fag left in it at home.

Good luck mate! smile.gif

Thanks Micke and I have done the same thing. I have a pack in the garage with a couple left in it just in case. Seems my mind is more at ease knowing there is a "parachute" their in case I "fall" laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 12 2009, 06:09 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Good decision Steve, be strong & think of the gear you'll get with the money you'll save too cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 12 2009, 06:17 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Fran @ Sep 12 2009, 06:09 PM) *
Good decision Steve, be strong & think of the gear you'll get with the money you'll save too cool.gif

If he was in London, he would get a sweet guitar plus a stack or combo in a short time laugh.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 12 2009, 06:28 PM
Instructor
Man, I know how tough that is!
Be strong man, and don't give up!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Sep 12 2009, 06:42 PM
Jazz Instructor
Stay strong!

+Quote Post
matt r
Sep 12 2009, 08:58 PM
nice man, i havent bought a pack in awhile so im feeling alrgiht, but i want one sooo bad right now.... bad day haha

from what ive heard, the physical addiction only last three days and the rest is mental....if you can learn to meditate or just clear your mind i guarantee you will quit...

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 12 2009, 10:00 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
That's great mate smile.gif
Hopefully you'll never smoke again in your life!

Someday it's my turn to post a thread like this.. just not yet I'm afraid sad.gif

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Sep 12 2009, 11:15 PM
Well all the best of luck to you and everybody else trying to get rid of this addiction.
My story:
I have been smoking pipes only for about 19 years (I started when I was 19!) - thought it looks cooler, smells nicer, tastes better and isn´t so dangerous as fags.
WELL - the first shock came about 2 years ago as friends had to tell me that I started to inhalate the pipesmoke (which is far more stronger than cigarette smoke) - I would not have noticed. sad.gif

I tried to get rid of smoking - but at first I really did not WANT to (really thought I´m giving up one of lifes pleasures), then I started to cut down on the amount of tobacco and also tried do get back to just puffing - to no avail.

Tomorrow it will be exactly one year ago that something strange but wonderful happened:
I just prepared yet another pipe, put in in my mouth, lightened it and took one or two puffs as I realized: it does not taste good anymore! I put the pipe down.....and never have picked up one again since then.
As addicted I really was - I got cured from the NEED in a matter of seconds. I would like to tell you that it was my sheer amount of willpower but that would be a lie - it just happened to me and I´m very grateful for that and my deepest respect to anyone who can pull this of!!

This post has been edited by Berglmir: Sep 12 2009, 11:17 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 12 2009, 11:32 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Luck!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:58 AM