2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Holding A Guitar Pick., is there a wrong way?
Becks
Feb 15 2009, 10:36 PM
GMC:er
Is there such a thing as holding a guitar pick the wrong way? whenever i play my picking hand gets really sore. I am not sure if thats the reason its sore. Anyone know? sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
superize
Feb 15 2009, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
You need to find a way that is most comfortable to you......

Try out some differnent positions and see if you find a way that fits you

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Feb 15 2009, 10:39 PM
I think it all depends on what you feel comfortable with and play the best with... if you look at the way different people hold the pick everyone seems to hold it differently

--------------------

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Feb 15 2009, 10:52 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Are you very tense when playing? You may need to learn to "loosen up" a bit...less stress on your hand!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
ztevie
Feb 15 2009, 10:55 PM
I hold my pick in a way that is very comfortable for me. But I wished I had did some research when I started playing... Now, it's very hard to change, and my ability to increase speed in my picking is greatly reduced. Especially keeping speed up and changing strings in a steady tempo.
So I would say, check out what is said about the matter, and get used to something that will give you optimal usability for the future. You will thank me later! cool.gif

But of course, you shouldn't insist in a technique that will give you injurys...

This post has been edited by ztevie: Feb 15 2009, 10:56 PM

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Padalka Custom Space-6, Bareknuckle Juggernaut set
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 15 2009, 11:01 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Becks @ Feb 15 2009, 10:36 PM) *
Is there such a thing as holding a guitar pick the wrong way? whenever i play my picking hand gets really sore. I am not sure if thats the reason its sore. Anyone know? sad.gif

Yes there is such a thing as a wrong way. That would be the way that inflicts on your playing in a bad way. I held my pick in the wrong way for 15 years. I was sick and tired of being a sloppy player so I decided to restart from the beginning. It all started with changing my grip around the pick and I must confess that small change had a huge impact. My speed increased a lot.. A LOT! And my accuracy is flawless today, before I used to miss strings and double tap them.THat was two months of scales and tecnhique and breaking a bad habit. First week felt hopeless then it went better and better, today I couldn't go back to the old way.

So as far as I'm concerned, holding your pick right or wrong can be the difference between failure and success.

I keep a rather flat hand, close to the strings for better control and I keep the edge of the pick stick out just a little between my thumb and my index finger, print side of the thumb and the side of the index which I curl so it's parallell with my thumb.
Quite the opposite to my presious grip which was like a big toppy hand which led to sloppyness.

So find your way!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Feb 16 2009, 12:04 AM

+Quote Post
berko
Feb 15 2009, 11:03 PM
There's really no "right" or "wrong" way to hold a pick.

If you check this link you'll find some useful advice in vid 3 about holding the pick:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...teps-lets-play/

If your hands feel sore then that means you're holding the pick too firmly. Or maybe your hand is in a bad position. You should place the bottom edge of your palm somewhere near the bridge (over the stings) and try to lay your fore arm gently onto the guitar body. Your picking hand should be as relaxed as possible. If you feel it gets tensed up then relax again. It sounds weird but you should concentrate on relaxing your hand!

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Becks
Feb 15 2009, 11:26 PM
Thank you guys for replying. I will fool around with different ways.

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 16 2009, 12:01 AM
Instructor
I agree with everyone here.
There is no right or wrong way.
I hold mine between my thumb and index with a closed fist.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 16 2009, 01:59 AM
Instructor
Like everybody said there is no right or wrong. Possibly you are putting too much strain on your picking hand in general. Can you record your picking hand with a webcam and post here? That would help us greatly in seeing where the problem is. There is no need for good audio, just picture.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Becks
Feb 16 2009, 03:42 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 15 2009, 04:59 PM) *
Like everybody said there is no right or wrong. Possibly you are putting too much strain on your picking hand in general. Can you record your picking hand with a webcam and post here? That would help us greatly in seeing where the problem is. There is no need for good audio, just picture.

I cant put a video on. But would a picture due the trick?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 16 2009, 04:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Becks @ Feb 16 2009, 03:42 AM) *
I cant put a video on. But would a picture due the trick?

Picture is fine as well,
here you can see the way I hold it if that help. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 16 2009, 09:17 AM
Learning Rock Star
The wrong ways there are are the ones that feel uncomfortable for you, and the only right way is the one that feels does indeed feel comfortable for you.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 16 2009, 10:17 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Just stick to something that feels comfortable to use and don't feel stressed...That should hopeful be the right way..Wrong way would feel uncomfortable and will unable you to develop your picking (speed , accuracy , control).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 16 2009, 02:30 PM
Instructor
Pictures with different angles like Muris showed in that topic would be great mate.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ztevie
Feb 16 2009, 03:33 PM
I don't know, is the most comfortable way always what's best? As I said in my earlier post, I suffer from the way I hold the pick now, cause I can not develop very much in terms of cleaner speedier picking at the moment.
And it's a pain to change the way you hold the pick after a couple of years. If i would have held the pick differently from day one, I might not have this problem now? I still think he should check out different approaches and choose what feels comfortable, but also, what will not give him problems in the future...
But, by all means, I am far from an expert in the matter... wink.gif

A few links I googled for, haven't looked them through though:
http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200g.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE2S3u-Wz1g
http://www.cyberfret.com/first-fret/using-a-pick/page2.php
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Hold-a-Gu...g&id=735365
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_...s/lesson-46.php
http://www.guitartutoronline.com/index.htm...4_hold_pick.htm
http://guitarteacher.wordpress.com/2008/03...to-hold-a-pick/

This post has been edited by ztevie: Feb 16 2009, 03:34 PM

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 16 2009, 03:41 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 16 2009, 09:17 AM) *
The wrong ways there are are the ones that feel uncomfortable for you, and the only right way is the one that feels does indeed feel comfortable for you.

+ and enables you to play at your peak.

Just adding that since it could be comfortable but not effective. Was comfortable for me but techniquewise rather useless.
I bet there are hundereds of ways to hold you pick, one of these hundereds will suit someone better while it can be the worst possible for someone else. The trick here, Becks, is to find what suits you better. And that could take weeks since a new technique will only start to pay off after a week of hard practice so it's difficult to rule something out after day one.

QUOTE (ztevie @ Feb 16 2009, 03:33 PM) *
And it's a pain to change the way you hold the pick after a couple of years.

I did it after 15 years of playing. Took me a week to break the old habit, then 6-7 more weeks before I had eveything in place and it had become my new habit.
But one week of hard struggeling is what it takes.

If i would have held the pick differently from day one, I might not have this problem now?

But if you had done that you wouldn't have known if you could improve yourself by changing the way you hold the pick. Right now you say you suffer and that's a clear signal. The opposite, of being comfortable but not gripping it the way that would enable your teachnique to flourish would be more difficult to see through and bring yourself into changing.

+Quote Post
berko
Feb 16 2009, 03:43 PM
QUOTE (ztevie @ Feb 16 2009, 03:33 PM) *
I don't know, is the most comfortable way always what's best? As I said in my earlier post, I suffer from the way I hold the pick now, cause I can not develop very much in terms of cleaner speedier picking at the moment.
And it's a pain to change the way you hold the pick after a couple of years. If i would have held the pick differently from day one, I might not have this problem now? I still think he should check out different approaches and choose what feels comfortable, but also, what will not give him problems in the future...
But, by all means, I am far from an expert in the matter... wink.gif

A few links I googled for, haven't looked them through though:
http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200g.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE2S3u-Wz1g
http://www.cyberfret.com/first-fret/using-a-pick/page2.php
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Hold-a-Gu...g&id=735365
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_...s/lesson-46.php
http://www.guitartutoronline.com/index.htm...4_hold_pick.htm
http://guitarteacher.wordpress.com/2008/03...to-hold-a-pick/

I'm not an expert either but I guess everyone should try different styles of holding the pick.

IMO there are certain positions for the pick for certain people that can prevent the person from playing faster or more relaxed or more precise. That's why it's useful to experiment even if you feel comfortable with a specific position of the pick.

The way you hold a pick also varies when using different techniques. For sweeping you hold the pick a bit looser and let it angle a bit depending on the direction (up, down). Strumming is another different case. You can hold the pick differently if you apply lots of dynamics and you dig lower and pick with some pinch harmonics. And other than that: the position of you palm, your lower arm and all this stuff matters.

What I'm saying here is that it's not only the pick position that's important when heading for speed and precision. But there aren't any models to copy either so what you can do is to pay constant attention to your picking hand (during different techniques) and see how you can sort it out.

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
ztevie
Feb 16 2009, 03:51 PM
QUOTE (berko @ Feb 16 2009, 03:43 PM) *
But there aren't any models to copy either

There are models to copy, check the links above...

But if you had done that you wouldn't have known if you could improve yourself by changing the way you hold the pick. Right now you say you suffer and that's a clear signal. The opposite, of being comfortable but not gripping it the way that would enable your teachnique to flourish would be more difficult to see through and bring yourself into changing.

Possible. But I believe that I would pick much cleaner now and do it in a higher speed. In short, I would have developed much more to this day, than I actually have been doing.. Could have saved me a few years of developing? huh.gif

This post has been edited by ztevie: Feb 16 2009, 03:54 PM

--------------------
Gear:
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Feb 16 2009, 04:06 PM
Instructor
I used to think there was a wrong way, but then I saw Marty Friedman, and Shawn Lane, so as said before the wrong way is simply the one it feels uncomfortable to you.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:44 PM