2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Limiting The Size Of Signatures, would make reading the forum easier?
Moon Boots
Sep 4 2008, 10:33 PM
GMC:er
Some people on this forum have very large signatures (sometimes with multiple pictures) which means that it takes a lot longer to read through a thread as you have to scroll down a long way to reach the next post. It also takes longer to load up each page for people with slower connections.

I'm not saying that signatures should be banned entirely, but I think placing a sensible limit on their size would be beneficial smile.gif

Any thoughts?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 4 2008, 10:45 PM
Instructor
I have never had one but I don't mind if somebody has. The ones with pictures are sometimes too much if the picture is really big.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
edguy
Sep 4 2008, 10:47 PM
Learning Roadie
I think it is a good idea. Do you think my Picture is too big?

Edguy

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
Sep 4 2008, 10:53 PM
QUOTE (edguy @ Sep 4 2008, 10:47 PM) *
I think it is a good idea. Do you think my Picture is too big?

Edguy

Personally, I'd say that yours is the perfect size. Big enough to stand out and be eye catching but not so big that it gets in the way smile.gif

I'd say that the limit should be around twice the size of your sig?

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 4 2008, 11:02 PM
Get to da Chopper!
I hope people dont think mine is too big- was thinking of changing anyhow...

But...what grinds my gears is when somebodys sig is bigger than my screen. It may not be the world's biggest screen, but come on....some sigs are gigantic in relation to others- and while it doesn't pose any kind of threat to my bandwidth or the muscles in my finger as i scroll- it is still just plain annoying mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Sep 4 2008, 11:07 PM
Instructor
I saw in other forums that there are an option to hide all signatures and to hide the signatures that you choose (there was a button after the signature near QUOTE and REPLY that says something like "HIDE SIGNATURE")

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Sep 4 2008, 11:08 PM
I faintly remember, we once had a small talk about this very same subject some time ago, long time actually I can't believe I still remember it... But anyhow it resulted in me and some other dudes having to "Resize" there signatures.

I was all for it then and I'm all for it now. sleep.gif

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 4 2008, 11:18 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
None of the sigs in this thread are problematic in my opinion, so I guess we all agree so far!
Deeproot's has a lot of pics, but they are small and not wider than my screen so it's fine in my book, plus it looks cool tongue.gif. Worst problem when it comes to pics in sigs is when they are too wide, because they could make the post hard to read.

Anyhow I'd say 99% of the sigs in the forum are fine. As a matter of fact I can't remember anyone too big right now, good thing smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 5 2008, 03:08 AM
Moderation Policy Director
We already have rule for this in the posting guidelines, in the past we have asked the worst offenders to change their sigs.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Starry Manhattan...
Sep 5 2008, 03:39 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 5 2008, 12:08 PM) *
We already have rule for this in the posting guidelines, in the past we have asked the worst offenders to change their sigs.

Is mine too big?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Sep 5 2008, 07:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Starry Manhattan Rain @ Sep 5 2008, 04:39 AM) *
Is mine too big?

IMHO is correct... anyway I think you should post it like this:

It looks too much better IMHO and without the unnecessary links, but just is my taste...

You just need to replace your signature for this text:

CODE
[img]http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7100/dreamthaterma1.gif[/img] [img]http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/2039/jasonbeckeruserbarlh7.png[/img]
[img]http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/7792/cacophonyqx7.gif[/img] [img]http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/2686/ymubxd6.png[/img]
[img]http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/968/joesatrianiloveqr4.png[/img] [img]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/3671/megadeth1rz0.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/9003/nevermorebanqy0.jpg[/img] [img]http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/2952/phagistbarcopyum7.jpg[/img]

+Quote Post
wrk
Sep 5 2008, 08:19 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
In "My Controls / Board Settings" is an option to turn off signatures.

I apologize for my ignorance on every bodies artwork, but a while back there were just to many colors altogether ...smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 5 2008, 09:20 AM
GMC Founder
Actually I have been thinking about doing a poll about this for quite a while.

I do see some dissadvantages with the larger signatures - it harder to follow a discussion, especially if it consists of many shorter replies.

Also - if people do start to disable all signatures via the board controls - important signature info might get lost.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Sep 5 2008, 11:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 5 2008, 10:20 AM) *
Also - if people do start to disable all signatures via the board controls - important signature info might get lost.

Thanks true !!!! there are a lot of important info there... for example the releasing of my album, or my new Collab rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 5 2008, 12:34 PM
Instructor
Possibly some standardization would be in order smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
Sep 5 2008, 01:00 PM
Kris makes a good point; turning off signatures altogether has it's disadvantages.

I'm conscious that having the moderators look out for big signatures takes up their time and is not efficient. On most of the forums that I visit they limit the size of signatures in the exact same way that GMC limits the size of avatars - when someone tries to enter a signature that is too big it is automatically rejected. Doing it this way would save wasting moderators time as it would stop the problem at it's core.

Any chance of this Kris? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Sep 5 2008, 03:18 PM
If the signatures get too big, I turn them off. No problems.
I turn them on every now and then, don't worry Juan. wink.gif

I bet one can get an add on which auto-resizes huge signatures. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Sep 5 2008, 04:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I agree, sigs shouldn't be to big. It's quit hard to determine what's to big, and what's not. I think GMC staff should make a realy strong limit. So not "not very big" but like "no bigger then ...x... cm/...x...inch."

EDIT: Mine's quit big aswell tongue.gif I'll change it now.

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Sep 5 2008, 04:15 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 5 2008, 04:27 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Its real easy to keep them sized down- i upload all my images to photobucket- add the forum code to my sig, then go back into photobucket and adjust the size of them once i've had a chance to take a look at how big it has turned out.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 7 2008, 01:36 PM
GMC Founder
Ok I will ask our techs to find some kind of solution which allows us to control size of images in signatures.

We will allow one single standard banner image: 468 x 60 px maximum size.

Smells signature image is an example of that:

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:04 PM