Stuck In Live Progress, Need some help..
asandven
Oct 16 2010, 10:36 AM
GMC:er
Hi guys.

I've been playing guitar for quite a while, gotten used to the pentatonic and abit major/minor scale.
I'm in a cover-band, kind of jam-a-long with the pianist/vocal dude in, well, a lot of blues-rock tunes.

Anyways, it's been quite easy to improvise solo to this, using the pentatonic scale, adding a bit from the major/minor.

But,... I must say, even though I try to jam/practice at home, when I get live I still end up in the same boxes, same licks over and over and etc...

I was wondering if any of you have been there... and figured a nice way out?

I need to get away from my safe spots when I'm live, if you get it...

Any hints, help, tips, whatever would be super.

If more info needed, just ask smile.gif

Thanks
-asandven

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Oct 16 2010, 11:52 AM
Learning Roadie
Here are a couple of things you can try smile.gif

Improvise/Jam at home and restrict your self from playng in the boxes you are more familiar with.. ( So if the box you are better at is box 1 try to improvise without ever using it ) this will make you more confortable w/ the other boxes.. ( If you want to improve faster invite a friend to see you jam and ask him to slap you in the face every time you play the box you are restricted from playn tongue.gif )

After a few time of doing this you will find a new box that you will play in most of the time.. when that happends restrict you self from that box and allow your self the one you restricted before ( but try using it less than the other ones )

Also try to recreate your licks in difrent boxes this will be a cool exercise cause you have to play them in dfrent ways since boxes are shaped difrentlly..

by doing this you will probably learn new licks and find new variations of the older ones..and get acustomd to playn in boxs were you dind't play much before..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Oct 16 2010, 12:50 PM

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Oct 16 2010, 02:07 PM
Instructor
great advice above, specially this part: ( If you want to improve faster invite a friend to see you jam and ask him to slap you in the face every time you play the box you are restricted from playn tongue.gif ) LOL
well, this advice is good, take it, and try to force yourself to not use those boxes you are already familiar with,

on the other hand, a couple of new scales would be another way out.
since you are playing blus/rock, you cannot jump into too complicated scales, but you can add some new scales and then trying to get new licks from them.
here's a few.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
thefireball
Oct 16 2010, 04:18 PM
Learning Roadie
I know what you mean, man. I do the same thing when performing for friends.

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Oct 16 2010, 04:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
This one is great smile.gif
http://www.martyfriedmandvd.com/dvdshop.html

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Oct 16 2010, 05:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (ruben_mcn @ Oct 16 2010, 06:52 AM) *
( If you want to improve faster invite a friend to see you jam and ask him to slap you in the face every time you play the box you are restricted from playn tongue.gif )

Best Advice !!! seriously ... I remember the first time I was recording on a 4 track with my band I had a trouble keepingthe rythm tight... The drummer put me on a helmet and he gave me the beat on my head.... Damn I have never been so tight in my life tongue.gif

Try to improvise in different type of shape... Use a lot of the backing track and practice with your band with the other scale once you are comfortable.... The more that I play guitar, the less that I use the 1st pentatonic position...

Also if you wanna spice it up learn the extension of those 2 boxes.

Good luck improving !!

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratman79
Oct 17 2010, 03:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
Make sure you know what degree of the scale your playing in the pentatonic...

Try to play chord tones of the chords you are playing over.

Think of your solo's as composing in real time, making melodies not just playing in boxes as quick as you can.

Then you can think about adding in extra notes from modes etc... I.e if your pentatonic is 1,b3,4,5,b7 you can think I'll add in a major 6 and give it a Dorian flavour or a b6 for an Aeolian kind of thing...

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 17 2010, 10:29 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Generally you just need to practice little bit more at home. Once you feel comfortable and new scales/licks find their way into your comfort zone you will be really to showcase them live. You shouldn't be scared to try new things live, even if you make mistake no one notice it. Musicians who take risks live do well - bassists Victor Wooten talked a lot about this. He does take his chances live and do things he didn't practice etc and yes he makes "mistakes" but overall it often turns up amazing. But as long as you practice improvising hard at home, you will feel more confident live.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 18 2010, 08:31 PM
Instructor
Lots of good answers here. I should add and confirm that this is something that comes with time. What you may need now is more feel for the melody and harmony. You can do this by changing your practice routine a bit, and start practicing chords, different positions for them, and arpeggios. After you get comfortable with the patterns, start applying them over various harmonies, and try to make your solos a bit more interesting by using thematic approach, and building melodies nicely from low to high, and from high to low.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:47 PM