Gonna Do It, Gonna Get The 6505 Mini
gnarkill
Dec 8 2015, 05:51 PM
GMC:er
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/6505PM212Bn

After playing on one for hours at my local store, I realized this is truly ideal for my situation. I play rock to metal, I play by myself in my house. And occasionally I jam with a few friends. This has it all for me, I can take it down to 1 watt which is sweet, or I can crank it at 20 watts if needed. Plus the 6505 is the sound I want.

I want a 2x12, my questions are...

1. Should I get that combo? Or should I buy the head separately and buy a different cab to save money?

2. Anyone have an opinion on Stephens Trusonic M12m speakers?

3. I was looking at a Bugera 2x12 140 watt guy for $200, whats the thoughts there?

4. The cab that comes with the head I am buying is 120 watts, but the head is only 20, why is there such a big gap there.... is it for future heads if I change out? Would a 50 watt cab do just as well?

5. What do you think about Celestion Greenbacks? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/6505PlusM212

I don't want to build my own cab, and I may end up getting a 6505 mini of ebay which could save me up to $150. The combo on sweetwater is $900, so if I do it right with the cab... I could possibly save up to $300. So I am interested what you all have to say about the cabs.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by gnarkill: Dec 8 2015, 06:28 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Darius Wave
Dec 8 2015, 08:15 PM
Instructor
Hey there! Count me to the list! smile.gif

I love 20-30 watt amps. They are totally enough for my use (even huge gigs) and most of them have the advantage of lower wi=eight, smaller size and lower cost of exploatation. I personally find myself more into collectiong a lot small amps then buying those 100W beasts smile.gif I was happy as hell to see Peavey introducing this little beast since I was quite satisfied with 6505 combo I was able to often use for a long time. Now I'm waiting for some good second hand deals smile.gif

As for the cab I would go for head+cab. You can always have smaller cab for home use and 2x12" or 4x12" to be left in the rehearsals room. Then you would onyl have to take your guitar and head outside the home for rehearsals - much more comfortable to carry smile.gif

As for the speakers I have a V30 + greenback combo in one of my cabs. I usually prefer greenbacks for live gigs and v30 for recordings. Greenbacks are much less harsh than V30. If You set up your tone having both in your cab and you'll put an sm57 first to a greenback and then to V30...you will never ever want hear it other way than through greenback smile.gif Huge profit of using those 2 types of speakers in one cabinet is you can set up the tone you liek on stage and put the mic in front of warmer sounding speaker so it would sort of compensate with natural top boost of most dynamic microphones for guitar

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 8 2015, 11:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Nice one Gnarkill,

Will you be able to record it so we can hear? I'm getting Gas again blink.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 8 2015, 11:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
What ever you get , combo or not (I would opt for head and separate speakers ) . Make sure it is closed back. I would encourage you to play the same amp thru the two types so you can understand the difference

+Quote Post
gnarkill
Dec 8 2015, 11:49 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Dec 8 2015, 10:37 PM) *
What ever you get , combo or not (I would opt for head and separate speakers ) . Make sure it is closed back. I would encourage you to play the same amp thru the two types so you can understand the difference

Well, they will be separate cab and head. The combo I refer to is a package deal, selling the head and the cab together at a lower price.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 8 2015, 11:59 PM
Sounds like a score!! If you like the way the cab sounds, just keep it smile.gif Lots of folks run the small head / big cab thing these days. The disparity in wattage should not be a problem. I have run my Randall 4x12 100watt cab from a Micro amp and gotten great results smile.gif and it's only 5 watts.

QUOTE (gnarkill @ Dec 8 2015, 06:49 PM) *
Well, they will be separate cab and head. The combo I refer to is a package deal, selling the head and the cab together at a lower price.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 9 2015, 12:00 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:29 PM