Amp Or Guitar.
Tjchep
Jun 23 2008, 01:38 AM
GMC:er
Well.

When I get around $1500 I'm going to buy either a high end guitar..

or a high end amp.

Currently I use..

Guitar- Ibanez s470qm. It's an alright guitar..

Amp - Line 6 toneport.

What do you think is more important to have first? I'm leaning towards a good guitar first.. any advice on guitarsor amps to look into in about the $1500 price range are welcome. wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Nick325
Jun 23 2008, 01:54 AM
if using the toneport as an amp is good i would stick with that unless you gig or need an amp to bring place and get a new guitar

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 23 2008, 02:02 AM
Learning Tone Master
AMP AMP AMP AMP AMP... and new pickups for your guitar!

But most important would be the AMP.
Tell us the style your into and we can suggest you some models.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jun 23 2008, 02:10 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jun 23 2008, 02:02 AM) *

Umm, mostly instrumental oriented stuff, hard rock, to blues, to jazz to funk.. Need one that can cover all the bases, so I was thinking either rocktron prophesy or mesa boogie triaxis. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jun 23 2008, 02:16 AM
How about a Parker NiteFly-SA ? tongue.gif

Or maybe ..

Ibanez RGA321F laugh.gif

Anyway. Musicians Friend is great, because you can use the price range side bar option (left side), and then browse per brand afterwards. wink.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jun 23 2008, 02:49 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I would say an AMP. Your guitar is fine and you can always add some pickups later if you want.

You can run your AMP through the Toneport, which will give you more options with your tone. I am guessing that is what you are wanting.

Plus you can go and start jamming with other people. You can't sit in your bedroom with a Toneport plugged into you computer for the rest of your life. If you have a AMP you can play with others and you can become even better than you are.

My 1 cents worth.

The Skillet

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jun 23 2008, 03:53 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Jun 23 2008, 02:49 AM) *
I would say an AMP. Your guitar is fine and you can always add some pickups later if you want.

You can run your AMP through the Toneport, which will give you more options with your tone. I am guessing that is what you are wanting.

Plus you can go and start jamming with other people. You can't sit in your bedroom with a Toneport plugged into you computer for the rest of your life. If you have a AMP you can play with others and you can become even better than you are.

My 1 cents worth.

The Skillet

Well.. I have two amps actually.. mabye I should have mentioned that, I'm talking purely about recording really.

When ever I go to jam with people.. I never bring my amp..

But I have a Fender : acoustsonic and a Peavey Windsor 100watt head with a 2x12 cab..

No I'm not looking for more options, just better tones, more realistic and they show everything you are playing.. not this digital crap. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Jun 23 2008, 02:26 PM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Jun 22 2008, 10:53 PM) *
Well.. I have two amps actually.. mabye I should have mentioned that, I'm talking purely about recording really.

When ever I go to jam with people.. I never bring my amp..

But I have a Fender : acoustsonic and a Peavey Windsor 100watt head with a 2x12 cab..

No I'm not looking for more options, just better tones, more realistic and they show everything you are playing.. not this digital crap. sad.gif

since u already have a windsor which is pretty good id go for a guitar. You could get yourself a Gibson Les Paul Studio. Its very good and responsive. id go to a store and try out everything but yeah id stick with the windsor and grab a guitar. smile.gif

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 23 2008, 02:52 PM
Instructor
Tough choice really. Too general question you ask. wink.gif

The most logical thing to do is to really check for your current needs, and anticipate the needs in the near future. So are you IN NEED of a better guitar? Are you IN NEED of an amp. WILL YOU BE needing a better guitar in the next year or so, or an amp, will you play it, record with it, gig with it etc. If you are planning to buy a home amp for practice and recording, then leaning towards rack gear is a good choice, but it will cost you.
You said that you wanna buy Prophesy and Triaxis. That's cool, but in order for those units to really shine they need good poweramp and cab. Also in order for those units to shine in PC recording filed you need a better quality soundcard.

Also lot of things depend if you plan to do gigs or not. I would say if you don't plan to do gigs, just studio rehearsals, to buy a medium sized tube 30-40W combo, possibly Mesa, or Fender. If you plan to do gigs, you do need an amp and then buy 50W combo - story over.
However if you don't plan to do gigs, and wanna work on your technique more, practice and get a better sound of your guitar, then maybe, just maybe guitar is better option.

DOn't really know how long do you have that guitar, but I would change the pickups and play it another year or two if it suits you well now. Pickups + amp would be a safest bet then.

EDIT: I just saw you already have two amps. Choice is simple, buy a better guitar.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jun 23 2008, 02:54 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jun 23 2008, 08:52 PM
Instructor
Hard to say really.. You allready have a good guitar, especially if you invest on some new pickups on it.
My recommendation would be to not decide on anything just yet smile.gif Wait a while and save up the money and then re-analyze your situation then.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 24 2008, 12:12 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well I would always go for a guitar first...But than you have a pretty good guitar and actually no real amp, but will you use the amp on gigs etc ? When I think about it more , if your really serious about guitar playing , buy a high end one that will last you forever smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 24 2008, 12:29 PM
Instructor
Well the problem is that he already has two amps, Fender acoustsonic and a Peavey Windsor 100watt head with a 2x12 cab.

So listen to wise words from Trond and hold on with the shopping. Save the money a little more, I don't think you really need to spend them now, you have more than good gear. Maybe some pedal or pickup, but don't spend the main core amount of savings.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jun 24 2008, 12:59 PM
Well, think of it this way. Even if you have the highest ends of all guitar, it still won't sound good unless you have a decent amp to complement the sound of the guitar. Sure, people will say tone comes from your fingers, but equipment also helps a lot! When I played a Mesa Lonestar, my playing and tone went up to about 75% better, I swear.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jun 24 2008, 06:37 PM
You got this wrong from the start.
It should never have gone so far to be a question.
It should read "Amp AND guitar!"
Always *AND*, that's important.

/edit because spooky stuff happened with cross threading

This post has been edited by blindwillie: Jun 24 2008, 06:38 PM

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jun 24 2008, 06:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jun 23 2008, 03:02 AM) *

that's a great advice !!! wink.gif

I'd like to add one: PEDALS !!!!!!!!!!!!! hehehe

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jun 24 2008, 06:55 PM
He's got an amp and a guitar, but he is after better tone.
Right?
I mean, a Peavey Windsor 100watt head with a 2x12 cab ought to do it? wink.gif

I am leaning towards a new guitar or pedals! Or maybe both.

Go after some quality Boss pedals! laugh.gif

Or maybe a V-Twin pedal from Mesa Boogie! wub.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Gus
Jun 24 2008, 07:05 PM
I never had a really good amp at home (I tried a few good ones in studio/shops), but I really think that if you are not having gigs now it is better to go for a new guitar. The reason is, you will only be able to fully enjoy a top amp if you crank it really loud (remember to use earplugs though). So unless you have a studio or basement, I think it is better to stick with the guitar.

Since you already have a reasonable guitar, I would say not to buy in a hurry.
Just take all the time you need to decide. If your dream guitar is $2000, don't buy a $1500 one. Just wait a little bit more.

If you like Ibanez, I really suggest you to try the one I have. Prestige RGT 320q. In US should be around 2000.
I will make a review any soon (already started writing). It has an amazing sound and incredible sustain. But the thing that really caught me is the playability. It plays much better than any guitar I ever tried (and I did spend quite a lot of time on guitar shops). When I get it on my hands I can't stop playing (it is so comfortable ). I just recently played again a JEM on a store and I think RGT 320q is a better deal. Gibson Les Paul custom is another dream guitar for me, but well it is around 3000 (in US, that means double or more in other places). So I will not buy it any soon...

This post has been edited by Gus: Jun 24 2008, 07:10 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jun 24 2008, 07:14 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
The Triaxis is for sure a great choice, for me it is the best preamp in the world. So if you decide to stay with your guitar and go for a new amp, this would be my advice, it is incredibly versatile and sounds awesome. If you want to get a new guitar instead, try some Gibson Les Pauls.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jun 24 2008, 09:26 PM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Jun 24 2008, 12:59 PM) *
Well, think of it this way. Even if you have the highest ends of all guitar, it still won't sound good unless you have a decent amp to complement the sound of the guitar. Sure, people will say tone comes from your fingers, but equipment also helps a lot! When I played a Mesa Lonestar, my playing and tone went up to about 75% better, I swear.

No offense, but thats utter bull****.

I've A/B'd between my brothers mesa lonestar.. and my peavey vavle king, and.. neither of them made me sound any better or worse.. One just helped me get my message across easier.

I don't really need pedals, I'll just get a tc electronics g-major for my delays and reverbs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xose Pineda
Jun 24 2008, 09:36 PM
I would go for a guitar... but if you don't have ANY amp, look for a Roland CUBE... around 200$ and good enough to jam around.

Only one opinion here... it's your money mate. But I would go for a good guitar always before an amp, unless you are everyday on gigs!

Cheers all!

--------------------

xosepineda

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:22 PM