Multi-use Licks, Learning 1 Lick for Multiple Chords and Keys
The Professor
Jan 20 2013, 02:01 PM
Theory Instructor
When learning a new lick, I always learn it over more than one chord if possible.

Here is an example of a short F7 lick that can be used, the exact same notes, over Cm7, F7, B7 and Am7b5.

Attached Image

To paraphrase Jim Hall, "I'd rather learn 1 lick for 12 chords than 12 licks for 1 chord."

What do you think about learning licks for multiple chords? Do you have a favorite way to approach this idea in the practice room?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 20 2013, 06:20 PM
GMC:er
The first thing I do when I learn a lick or line is to figure out where it will work other than the context in which I learned it ...
That's part of making it your own.

The dominant to minor conversion thing is probably the easiest to grasp and the most immediately apparent i.e., anything you play over a Cm7 chord will work beautifully over an F7, F9 or F13. Almost anytime I see a dominant chord I think minor up a 5th. Jazzers used to call it 'minor conversion'.

I don't normally advocate 'cheater' type approaches but if you want to INSTANTLY get jazzy sound on a blues play dorian up a 5th on one, two or all three chords. Example: A7 = E dorian, D7 = A dorian, E7 = B dorian

*Caveat - it's still important to know which chord you're actually on for resolving purposes.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 20 2013, 10:51 PM

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 20 2013, 07:28 PM
Theory Instructor
For sure, the minor conversion approach works great. Martino uses that a ton in his playing/teaching.

I like doing it backwards too. So if you have a Cm7 chord, you play F7 ideas. Works really well to spice up m7 changes and you can use all of your dom 7 material in a new context.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 20 2013, 09:01 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Matt Warnock Guitar @ Jan 20 2013, 06:28 PM) *
For sure, the minor conversion approach works great. Martino uses that a ton in his playing/teaching.

I like doing it backwards too. So if you have a Cm7 chord, you play F7 ideas. Works really well to spice up m7 changes and you can use all of your dom 7 material in a new context.

Pat Martino was the first guy that I realized was doing it in an obvious way. When I started to transcribe him it was a major 'lightbulb' moment.

Your Am 'challenge' lick I was actually approaching from a D7 and Dsus POV.

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 20 2013, 09:02 PM
Theory Instructor
Cool. Yeah I wrote Am7 over top of the lick, but I was thinking it could easily be D7, or a iim7 V7, Am7-D7 as well. Lots of options when looking at a ii or V as far as attacking one, the other or both.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 21 2013, 09:57 AM
Instructor
Very interesting subject mates! Thanks Matt for posting this - I like to have some signature licks, if that's possible biggrin.gif - that can be used in a lot of contexts as well as being able to sing something in my head and be able to play that on spot. I've seen Andreas Oberg do this kind of thing live and he was very good at it. He was singing and playing the same thing with the guitar and the voice and he was alternating between the two very graciously.

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 21 2013, 09:59 AM
Theory Instructor
Yeah Oberg does this stuff very well. John Pizzarelli also does this type of thing, singing and playing, then singing, then playing, all improvised. pretty impressive to watch!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 21 2013, 10:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt Warnock Guitar @ Jan 21 2013, 08:59 AM) *
Yeah Oberg does this stuff very well. John Pizzarelli also does this type of thing, singing and playing, then singing, then playing, all improvised. pretty impressive to watch!

I can replicate absolutely anything I play with my voice, but I can't do it real time .. YET biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 21 2013, 10:15 AM
Theory Instructor
Yeah it's tough. I can do it with my guitar, but my general singing voice is less than desired lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 21 2013, 10:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt Warnock Guitar @ Jan 21 2013, 09:15 AM) *
Yeah it's tough. I can do it with my guitar, but my general singing voice is less than desired lol

Being a vocalist as well, since 2011, made things somewhat easier for me tongue.gif or not laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:20 AM