> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

22 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Timmy B's Mentoring Thread
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 1 2012, 03:21 PM
Instructor
Mate, I have listened to it and tried the A# but I can't hear it. I will try more to see if I am being wrong but if we only have the A, we are clearly dealing with the C# minor tonality smile.gif Will let you know of what I discover. The rest is fine and dandy biggrin.gif Let's go for Michael Jackson then wink.gif

How are you feeling man?

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Oct 4 2012, 08:05 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 1 2012, 04:21 PM) *
Mate, I have listened to it and tried the A# but I can't hear it. I will try more to see if I am being wrong but if we only have the A, we are clearly dealing with the C# minor tonality smile.gif Will let you know of what I discover. The rest is fine and dandy biggrin.gif Let's go for Michael Jackson then wink.gif

How are you feeling man?

Cosmin

Hi Cosmin,
Im good man, keeping pleanty busy. Not enjoying the incoming autumn weather though mellow.gif
As for that "A" note, like i said, i thought i heard it there. but as im not to familiar with breaking down this style of music, it was tricky to catch everything.
Ok, time for Michael Jackson. ( which is now repeating over and over in my head!) Damn!!

Intro
The main theme of the songs. includes bits of the verse and chorus.
Uses Notes: A,B,C#,D,E,F# and i think a G
So puts up in the D Major scale

The Synth bit thingy
synth uses the notes: D, C#, A then C, B, G. The Bass does G, A, F, E
I didnt quite get this bit, I think it changes to a CMajor scale for this bit.
I'll come back to it in the end and explain it further.

Verse section
A main part of the song. Bass does G, A, F#, G Guitar does a simmilar bit like the intro, minus the F# melody(which is the chorus)
So im thinking still D Major

Chorus
Bass does notes: B, C#, F#, E, D. Vocals do the same but with an added A note
Again it fits the D major (minus the G)

Solo
Basicly a section with a verse and a chorus + and extended ending

Outro
This bit was tricky too. Starts with the same synth bit as earlier, but thenchanges.
Synth does notes combos of: F,C,E - C,G,B then sits on a A,F,G motif and the bass seems to sit on an A
guitar licks also seem to fit in these notes, along with the missing D note
So im thinking this bit(along with the earlier part) switchs to the C Major scale and at the end maybe changes to the A minor??
the only thing not fiting is the C# (from the first bit) so im thinking an acidental.

So overall the song is in Dmajor ( could it be maybe B minor tonality?) still not sure on this stuff
and the synth bits seem to be C major and also A minor

phew! done!
So what do you think??

Hope all is well in your world, and I'll get to work on the next track

Tim

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 10 2012, 03:22 PM
Instructor
Hey man! Didn't forget about ya! Just wanna get past the Aria video shooting sessions and on Friday I'll write my observations on this song wink.gif

Cheers and thanks!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Oct 10 2012, 06:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
All good mate, your a busy man! Good luck with the video shoot! Sounds like fun!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 10 2012, 09:24 PM
Instructor
Thanks Tim! It is, it is! Check this out tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Oct 11 2012, 08:31 AM
Learning Rock Star
Awesome!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 16 2012, 09:48 PM
Instructor
hey Tim!

Just went through the thing myself and i think you are right smile.gif I'm not that sure about the stuff at the end either, but I'll try and check it out with 'cleaner' ears. This whole record releasing/ video and stuff is taking its toll on me.

The chorus harmony is Em A Dmaj Em I think (singing along with the chords and it seems to fit fine)

How's the next one coming along?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Oct 19 2012, 09:06 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Cosmin,

All good mate, your work should definetly come first. PLus these song breakdowns are quite time consuming too, after the next one of got a new topic in mind. Ill get the next song done on monday as im away for the weekend.
Also, I dont have my usual computer this week so the video chat just didnt workout yesterday. This computer is from the stone age, i swear!
But def next week!

Cheers mate, catch you soon

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 19 2012, 10:18 AM
Instructor
Hey Tim! We had a lot of fun with Pantera's 'I'm broken'! Well, next time, then smile.gif

I'll be around wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Oct 22 2012, 10:34 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Cosmin

Got the lucky last one done!

Superstition - Stevie Wonder

Verse
Built on a bass of Eb with a Gb on the end
Guitar has a repeated riff using Ab, Bb, Db, Eb, Gb
Vocals work around Ab, Bb, Db, Eb, Gb
Brass A repeated motif of Ab, Bb, Db, Eb, Gb and also an A
The A fits to the Eb blues scale

The Db and Gb major scales both fit
but i think it fits best With the Eb minor scale

Chorus
Bass does Bb, Cb, Bb, A, Ab
Guitar does something similar
Vocals Work around F, Gb, Ab, Bb, Db, Eb

The added Cb and F in this part reinforce the Gbmajor/Ebminor
Tonality. The added A fits with the Eb Blues scale

There is also a brass part after the chorus.
It plays Eb, Db, C, Bb, Eb
It plays over the verse section and im just not sure
how the C fits. An acidental maybe??

The Rest of the piece basicly repeat the main parts. And jeff throws in a few sweet solos!

So im thinking Eb minor for this track

This post has been edited by Timmy b: Oct 22 2012, 10:38 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 1 2012, 06:10 PM
Instructor
Yeppers! Eb minor it is mate! Regarding the C, I think it's just a passing tone somehow, as I can't find another way to link it to something else.

Tell me Tim, are you ready for some action? Or are your hands still troubling you?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Nov 1 2012, 11:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 1 2012, 06:10 PM) *
Yeppers! Eb minor it is mate! Regarding the C, I think it's just a passing tone somehow, as I can't find another way to link it to something else.

Tell me Tim, are you ready for some action? Or are your hands still troubling you?

Cosmin

Sweet! Good to see im getting this stuff right! biggrin.gif

Like i said earlier, the hand is still out of order. so im not sure what next.
The video chat was interesting. Kinda caught me off gaurd,I was a bit smug like " yeah, I know all this stuff! pulled me back down to earth a bit tongue.gif
I know the Circle of 5ths well , but as we saw at the end I was "caught in the headlights kinda" just dumbfounded with the last bit. seems silly knowing the circle, but then not being able to use it practicaly. Thats also why i said I know it in "theory" as i havnt really learned to use it well. Maybe after your next video chat, if im still not completly on top of it we can look into it a little more.

As for the "last bit of the chat" Ive stared long and hard at the circle and think ive found what you were talking about. I discovered a pattern around the Key Note. all the notes that belong to its major scale are directley around it ina set pattern and works the same way regardless of key. I also see the patern for the Maj pentatonic scale. I really like these discoveries/realizations, such a cool feeling! smile.gif
I hope thats what you were talking about!

So what do you think? Do you have any ideas on what we can do next??

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 2 2012, 01:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Timmy b @ Nov 1 2012, 10:18 PM) *
Sweet! Good to see im getting this stuff right! biggrin.gif

Like i said earlier, the hand is still out of order. so im not sure what next.
The video chat was interesting. Kinda caught me off gaurd,I was a bit smug like " yeah, I know all this stuff! pulled me back down to earth a bit tongue.gif
I know the Circle of 5ths well , but as we saw at the end I was "caught in the headlights kinda" just dumbfounded with the last bit. seems silly knowing the circle, but then not being able to use it practicaly. Thats also why i said I know it in "theory" as i havnt really learned to use it well. Maybe after your next video chat, if im still not completly on top of it we can look into it a little more.

As for the "last bit of the chat" Ive stared long and hard at the circle and think ive found what you were talking about. I discovered a pattern around the Key Note. all the notes that belong to its major scale are directley around it ina set pattern and works the same way regardless of key. I also see the patern for the Maj pentatonic scale. I really like these discoveries/realizations, such a cool feeling! smile.gif
I hope thats what you were talking about!

So what do you think? Do you have any ideas on what we can do next??

Tim

That's exactly the thing mate biggrin.gif

Now, I got something for ya - based on what we have discussed last evening, analyze the circle and discover 2 things on your own smile.gif You can virtually try ANYTHING at all with the circle. Let's share impressions about it!

And if you feel like it, we can try and figure out a way for you to play the guitar in a less conventional way, that would not hurt you. Or we could talk about using a DAW smile.gif biggrin.gif

You choose mate!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Nov 3 2012, 08:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Cosmin,

So Ive looked it up and down (and around) and made a few observations.
1- The inside notes (minors) are the same notes + order as the outside. just rotated 90 degres. plus b's turned to sharps.
2- The minor notes are also the 3rd of the previos (c/clockwise) major note. I like to start on C (or other notes) and work through the major triads all the way around! only you need to make the F# a Gb to make it just right smile.gif
3- think you talked about this in the chat, in scales with flats the 4th always becomes the new flat. also the 7th degree becomes the next scales new (4th) flat note. In sharps, the 7th becomes the new sharp, and th 4th becomes the new next scales new (7th) sharp. they mirror each other!

Guess we could try some guitar again. what di you have in mind!
Also the DAW idea isnt bad either, what could we do? Im curious what DAW you use?

Cheers
Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 4 2012, 01:53 PM
Instructor
NICEEEE!! Great man! If you don't mind, I will also use your discoveries next Thursday and let everyone know you took things seriously and discovered them!

About some guitaring, well, what do you feel like working on - lead or rhythm? smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Nov 4 2012, 07:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
No problem mate, go for it!

As for guitar, im thinking rhythm. Think it will be less taxing on the pinkie. what have you got for me!

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 5 2012, 05:27 PM
Instructor
Thanks Tim! Alrightie! Mate, I think I got an idea smile.gif

Why not focusing on being able to play using only three fingers, so that you won't neglect your practicing because of the pinkie?

Until further developing this idea, how about this lesson for a goodie good start? -> https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Kotzen-Meets-Wylde/ No pinkie involved !! biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Nov 5 2012, 06:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
Nice one! I'll start picking away at it!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 6 2012, 09:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Timmy b @ Nov 5 2012, 05:06 PM) *
Nice one! I'll start picking away at it!

Great! What do you think of my idea, Tim? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Nov 6 2012, 09:47 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 6 2012, 09:20 AM) *
Great! What do you think of my idea, Tim? smile.gif

Yeah, sounds good mate! We can definetly trying using just the 3 fingers. hopefully it wont cause any issues.
Its going to be tricky though. Im just so used to using my pinkie in my playing, that im constantly using it! Will have to slow it all right down and concentrete on only the other ones.

Im curious what else youve got lined up for me!

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:47 AM