3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
New Pc, What do you think??
Muris Varajic
Mar 31 2008, 10:28 AM
Instructor
Hi crew. smile.gif

After few years of using same PC I decided to upgrade it,
actually I'm building new one,with old audio card and one existing ATA HD + one new S-ATA.

Here are new components:
Motherboard: MB ABIT IP35-E Intel? P35 Express/ICH9 Sck.775
CPU: INTEL CORE 2 DUO E4500 BOX 2x 2.2GHz 800MHz 2MB Sck.775
Video card: VGA POWERCOLOR ATI HD3650 PCI-E, PCS, 512MB Xtreme
Ram: DDR II 2GB (2x1GB kit) 800MHz OCZ Gold XTC.

Any opinions?

Thanks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 31 2008, 10:35 AM
Instructor
That looks like a good configuration to me smile.gif
That ATA disk might be a bit of a bottleneck though, but should be find if your just using it for storage and not for the OS or similar.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 31 2008, 11:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Mar 31 2008, 11:35 AM) *
That looks like a good configuration to me smile.gif
That ATA disk might be a bit of a bottleneck though, but should be find if your just using it for storage and not for the OS or similar.

Well to be honest,I'm gonna use ATA only for Windows Online(net).
Everything else would be on S-ATA,working Windows,programs,data files,project folders etc.
So they wont be sharing anything.

Sounds reasonable? unsure.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 31 2008, 11:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Mar 31 2008, 12:16 PM) *
Well to be honest,I'm gonna use ATA only for Windows Online(net).
Everything else would be on S-ATA,working Windows,programs,data files,project folders etc.
So they wont be sharing anything.

Sounds reasonable? unsure.gif

Sounds reasonable to me smile.gif
I'm not quite sure what Windows Online is though huh.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 31 2008, 11:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Mar 31 2008, 12:25 PM) *
Sounds reasonable to me smile.gif
I'm not quite sure what Windows Online is though huh.gif

My bad,wrong explanation,sorry. biggrin.gif
I'm using 2 Windows,one for internet and one for work,security matter,nothing else. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 31 2008, 11:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Mar 31 2008, 12:28 PM) *
My bad,wrong explanation,sorry. biggrin.gif
I'm using 2 Windows,one for internet and one for work,security matter,nothing else. smile.gif

Aha biggrin.gif
Yes, better to be safe than sorry

--------------------

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 31 2008, 11:34 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Looks fine generally Muris,
Only two minor things - mobo doesn't have a firewire and doesn't look like it supports RAID despite having 4 SATAs. Neither are a problem though as you can always retro fit these/install if you need to smile.gif. Generally though I like ABit mobos - and of the pcs I've built I've never had a problem with ABit.

Oh - if the ATi uses Catalyst drivers - be careful that you follow the install instructions as in my experience Catalyst is very picky and can be a real pain to correct.

Don't forget to budget for decent CPU cooling and a good PSU smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 31 2008, 11:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 31 2008, 12:34 PM) *
Looks fine generally Muris,
Only two minor things - mobo doesn't have a firewire and doesn't look like it supports RAID despite having 4 SATAs. Neither are a problem though as you can always retro fit these/install if you need to smile.gif. Generally though I like ABit mobos - and of the pcs I've built I've never had a problem with ABit.

Oh - if the ATi uses Catalyst drivers - be careful that you follow the install instructions as in my experience Catalyst is very picky and can be a real pain to correct.

Don't forget to budget for decent CPU cooling and a good PSU smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

Good point on the Catalyst
I got the HD3850 card, and the first time i installed it i sort of had to use a hammer to chissle the drivers in. But the recent catalyst-updates havent been much trouble

--------------------

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 31 2008, 11:58 AM
Absolutely Trond,
My wife has an oldish laptop that has an ATi and the manufacturer messed up the Catalyst installation rolleyes.gif . Had to completely uninstall and reinstall manually to get it to work. Catalyst doesn't/didn't like over-writing/replacing and ATi's own uninstall prog didn't do a full uninstall laugh.gif . Once it's up and going it's ok though and personally I prefer ATi to NVidea.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 31 2008, 11:59 AM
BTW - Muris don't worry as long as you follow the ATi install instructions you should be fine smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 31 2008, 01:02 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This looks like a great machine..I will be needing something similar in the future too..Very smart of you to use 2 OS installations.. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Mar 31 2008, 01:02 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 31 2008, 02:06 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Looks cool Muris - I really need a new PC as well for my studio, but I will have to limp along for a while yet ..

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Mar 31 2008, 02:55 PM
Instructor
looks great, although I'm not an informatic expert laugh.gif
I need to upgrade my Ram, I only had 1 GB and it's not enough to move all the VSTs in my Fruity loops XD (well, now I'm moving to Cubase)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 31 2008, 03:35 PM
Juan,
make sure that your ram are the same type and fsb correct for your mobo - Crucial's website can tell you what type of ram if you know what your mobo is.

If your 1gb is on a single stick and you're not sure easiest way is to get exactly the same and populate one of the other spaces.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 31 2008, 05:07 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Looks fine for me too, the only thing I personally dislike is the ATI card, I once had one myself and only had problems with it, since then I went back to Nvidia, but I guess this was just my card since in general ATI cards are considered to be very good, so go for it.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 31 2008, 06:23 PM
Instructor
Thanks for info guys,I had no idea about Catalyst drives,will pay attention to it! smile.gif

A good friend of mine is IT chief in a company here,he suggested me what to buy,
both now and for first configuration,few years ago.
He said to me: Let me pick you components...don't do it by yourself...it's gonna burn. laugh.gif

By the way,my current video card is Ati as well and I never had any problems with it,honestly.
Perhaps it has to be matched correctly with all other components? unsure.gif

Ohh,case is large Thermaltech VC3000 with lots of air and 2 big coolers(in and out),
power unit is Codeon 600watts.

Think I'm gonna use default Intel's CPU cooler fro a while and if that doesn't work well huh.gif
then I'll take some Zalman.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Mar 31 2008, 09:53 PM
Instructor
congrat Muris nice PC and nice items .

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 31 2008, 09:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Mar 31 2008, 07:23 PM) *
Thanks for info guys,I had no idea about Catalyst drives,will pay attention to it! smile.gif

A good friend of mine is IT chief in a company here,he suggested me what to buy,
both now and for first configuration,few years ago.
He said to me: Let me pick you components...don't do it by yourself...it's gonna burn. laugh.gif

By the way,my current video card is Ati as well and I never had any problems with it,honestly.
Perhaps it has to be matched correctly with all other components? unsure.gif

Ohh,case is large Thermaltech VC3000 with lots of air and 2 big coolers(in and out),
power unit is Codeon 600watts.

Think I'm gonna use default Intel's CPU cooler fro a while and if that doesn't work well huh.gif
then I'll take some Zalman.

I would say the default coolers usually work perfectly if your not planning to overclock.

--------------------

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 31 2008, 10:31 PM
Instructor
Congratulations Muris! smile.gif Nice machine and happy playing! smile.gif

One thing tho, it doesn't matter if you have a dual boot, it is not that bulletproof option for internet. It is the same computer nevertheless. The virus can spread all over you drives anyway imo.

Also the cooling system in the case is great, but I recommend using one cooler, because 2 can sound like vacuum cleaner and move unhealthy amount of dust. You never gonna need 2 coolers in the case anyway. 1 case cooler, one CPU cooler, one graphics cooler, and one power cooler is quite enough.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 31 2008, 11:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Mar 31 2008, 11:31 PM) *
Congratulations Muris! smile.gif Nice machine and happy playing! smile.gif

One thing tho, it doesn't matter if you have a dual boot, it is not that bulletproof option for internet. It is the same computer nevertheless. The virus can spread all over you drives anyway imo.

Also the cooling system in the case is great, but I recommend using one cooler, because 2 can sound like vacuum cleaner and move unhealthy amount of dust. You never gonna need 2 coolers in the case anyway. 1 case cooler, one CPU cooler, one graphics cooler, and one power cooler is quite enough.

About case coolers,the front one is pushing cold air inside(case has filter at front side to stop dust etc)
while cooler at rear side is pulling hot air out.
But good thinking Ivan,you cannot stop dust 100%, even with filters.
So if not,I can always turn OFF front cooler.

And there's trick with 2 OS. wink.gif
Internet windows is on independent HD and it doesn't see another HD,where main(work) windows is.
Which means,even if virus comes in it cannot access to main HD or windows.
Same with main windows,it cannot see another HD where internet windows is.
So basicly it's like 2 computers...inside same case...kind of. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:12 PM