> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

40 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Hiimalex's Thread, for Gab's Army
Alex Arvedahl
Jan 8 2015, 10:52 AM
Learning Chord Basher
No questions needed smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 8 2015, 04:07 PM
Instructor
Great, looking forward your news. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Jan 12 2015, 02:05 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hi Gab smile.gif

I have Always learnt scales by their root note, do you think I should continue learning scales by root or is it time to learn the CAGED system?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2015, 05:30 PM
Instructor
Hi Alex. CAGED is a system to learn the scale shapes which are movable shapes, but the root is still the way to find them and identify the key so there shouldn't be a real difference compared to what you've been working. Caged also helps to connect scale shape with chord shapes.

What do you exactly mean by learning scales by root?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Jan 13 2015, 10:19 PM
Learning Chord Basher
What I meant by that is, I have never learned how a scale Connect or relate to a chord. In the beginning I never learned the interval by a scale, I just memorized the pattern. But I have learned the afterwards, so I understand it now.

This post has been edited by HiimAlex: Jan 13 2015, 10:20 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 14 2015, 01:51 PM
Instructor
So now CAGED is clear and you'll work on it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Jan 14 2015, 05:45 PM
Learning Chord Basher
I will start to work on it the coming days whenever I find time or in school smile.gif

Also this is the part I got biggest problem with in the song Always with me,Always with you
Attached Image

You got any secret tips to make this part easier? wink.gif
Also original tempo is 148 bpm.

Or is it time to pause this and work on a etude phrase lesson?

This post has been edited by HiimAlex: Jan 15 2015, 07:28 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 15 2015, 03:55 PM
Instructor
Hi Alex. That's a very cool rocker lick that combines bending, picking and legato. It's not easy because it's a bit fast but with some practice you'll be able to play it. I recommend you to divide the lick in two or three shorter exercises and work on them looped. I would work on this:

Exercise 1: Measure 1
Exercise 2: Measure 2
Exercise 3: Measures 3 and 4

Think on each one as a different exercise for some days. Focus on details, on your hands movements and on everything that can be making it tricky. After some days of practice, start to combine them.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Jan 18 2015, 08:35 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hey Gab! Here comes the guitar notes for this week biggrin.gif
Guitar Notes Week 6

2/3 to Alternate Picking and 1/3 to Satriani's song

Day 1:
Alternate Picking Workout 2:Thought it would be best to start extremly slow and then working my way up and see where and at what speed the problems occur.
Started at 100 bpm, fixed some issues.
After 30 min was at 115 bpm.

Could play this at 120 bpm.

Satriani Song:
Was able to play the tapping at 135 bpm.

Day 2

Alternate Picking Workout 2: Started play playing the whole exercises a couple of times at 120 bpm, could play it twice with hand synch.
Ended at 135 bpm.

Satriani Song: Played the first part of the last section at 115 bpm.

Day 3

Alternate Picking Workout 2: Decided it would be best to split this into different parts, so the first 8 bars, second clip on the gmc website. I reached 160 bpm.

Satriani Song: Was able to play the end at 140 bpm.Watched also Todd's Videochat

Day 4

Alternate Picking Workout 2: Working now with bars 9-16. Reached 150 bpm.

Satriani Song: Played it through twice at 130 bpm. Worked my way up to 148 bpm.

Day 5

Alternate Picking Workout 2: Working with bars 17-24, reached 155 bpm.

Satriani Song: reached 95 bpm on first part of the ending since I discovered that I missed one bend.

Day 6

Alternate Picking Workout 2:Practing bar 25-34 reached 160 bpm, played also the whole etude a couple of times at 150 bpm and 155 bpm.

Satriani Song:Played the ending at 148 bpm.

As you can see my Day 1 and 2 I had a bad way to organize my practice time, its better to divide it into different sections as you have said before smile.gif
But you can also see (hopefully tongue.gif) that I have soon reached max speed at the Alternate Picking, so you want a video from me later this coming week? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 19 2015, 03:06 PM
Instructor
Hi Alex!! Great notes! It's really cool too see that you applied different methods and that the results are different with each. I think that from now, working on smaller sections is the way to go to get the most of each day and week. I would really like to see a video!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Jan 20 2015, 09:19 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hi Gabriel smile.gif
How are you doing?

Here is the video

I would like to get some feedback on my tone as well, I normally use more gain for other stuff but thought this was good amount for this etude smile.gif
In this video I used my new Von Hotch Octavius 3.2mm pick which I received today biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by HiimAlex: Jan 20 2015, 10:44 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 21 2015, 02:13 AM
Instructor
Hi mate, this video shows that it's very important to slow down your practice and focus on a problem that needs to be your priority now. I'm talking about hands sync. Your hands are not in syn while you play on this video, and that makes your playing sound sloppy and with many muted notes.

This makes me give you a new task to do:

- Work on the first part of the lesson.
- Turn on your metronome at a tempo that you feel comfortable.
- Practice it as a loop over metronome, focusing on hands sync. (Be sure to pick the notes when your are pressing them.)
- Do the same with part 2.
- Record yourself playing this two parts, and share the video here.

Ok?

PD: You tone sounds good, we will get back to it then, when you solved this sync issue.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Jan 24 2015, 04:01 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hey Gabriel smile.gif

How is the weather in Argentina ? In Sweden we have a lot of snow biggrin.gif

Have been working on this the last days, recorded multiple takes and included two of them in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyl1hhSUPUI...eature=youtu.be

What do you think? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 26 2015, 04:09 AM
Instructor
Hi Alex, thanks for this new video. It really helped me to note some details that we need to work to improve your alternate picking technique. The first one is your right hand movement. I note that sometimes you tend to do some "fingers" movements, mostly with your thumb. I recommend you to avoid this movement since it won't help in the future when you try to play faster stuff. Remember that the movement should start from your wrist, and a bit from your elbow.

Then, I still note that you are having sync and clarity problems. Sometimes it's a sync issue, other times your pick seem to lock and you don't play the full pattern.

We need to work seriously on this, so this is a new assignment:

Attached Image

Attached File  Alex_Exercises.zip ( 593bytes ) Number of downloads: 279

There you can see 3 alternate picking exercises. The idea is simple:

- Learn and practice this exercises. Focus on making each note sound clean and clear.
- Practice over metronome at a tempo that you feel comfortable, and then start increasing the tempo a bit.
- Record a video playing the exercises at a tempo that you can make it sound clean and clear and share it here.

Once you provide the video well played, you'll receive a new assignment.

Deal?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Jan 26 2015, 09:13 AM
Learning Chord Basher
Sounds Excellent Gabriel! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 26 2015, 03:04 PM
Instructor
Great! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Jan 29 2015, 08:59 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hey Gabriel! smile.gif

Have been having some Strain Injury beside my right shoulder blade so has been taking one day off practice and overall taking it pretty easy.
I have now practiced this exercises one per day and found a comfortable tempo, do you me to practice each of them one more day or should I post a video??

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 30 2015, 03:11 PM
Instructor
Hi Alex, thanks for the update. Please take care of your strain injury. About the video, it's ok if you take another day to practice it. We are not hurried. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Feb 2 2015, 07:30 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hey Gabriel!

Has been taking it easy with my pain, and now is it gone biggrin.gif
Here is the notes for this week.

Guitar Notes Week 7

Day 1: Alternate Picking: Reached 160 bpm at bars 9-16 and still got 25 min left so starting to practing bars 17-24 at 155 bpm. finished 17-24 at 160 bpm too.

Satriani song: As Gab said I should divide this lick into different sections and work on one of them each day, so starting with first section bar 111.Reached 115 bpm at bar 111.

Day 2:
Alternate Picking: Played through the etude several times at max speed and also some times at 155 at specific sections before I decided to record it.

Day 3:

Alternate picking: New exercises. Gonna do one exercise per day. Started slow at 60 bpm. Worked my way up to 70 bpm.
Have been both trying to start with an upstroke and moving around this lick.
Satriani Song: Reached 95 bpm on section two.

Day 4:

Alternate Picking: Definitely prefer to start this lick with an upstroke. Started at 65 bpm. reached 80 bpm.
Ended earlier since I had some pain beside my shoulder blade.
Satriani Song:Section 3 = bar 3+4 of the lick. Played through the song also. Finshed at 90 bpm.

Had a day off so the pain could go away.

Day 5: Taking it a bit easy today since I dont want my strain injury beside my shoulder blade to come back.
Practiced exercise three and this one was definitely the hardest of all three. Was able to reach 60 bpm.

Satriani Song:Practicing section 1 again. Reached 130 bpm.

Day 6:
Alternate Picking Exercise 1: Practicing this with both starting on up and downstroke and also moving it around to different places of the neck. Focusing more on to make every note clear than speed.
Was able to reach 75 bpm.

Always with me,always with you: Section 2 again. I am not able to reach the full step bends. Reached 110 bpm.

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Feb 2 2015, 08:37 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Here is a video of me playing the exercises also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv-HRxWuoXo...eature=youtu.be

I have practiced this with clean sound so I can hear easiest when I lose hand synch.

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:46 PM