5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Straight Vs Syncopated Soloing, UPLOAD THREAD
Pedja Simovic
May 26 2009, 02:01 PM
Instructor
Cool !

So its up to you now if you want to record another one. If you do, use this last take as a guide, it is very good work with that one. Also bring guitar a bit louder in the final mix if possible smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oxac
May 26 2009, 02:05 PM
GMC:er
Sure, we'll see. I hope I can do even better on a day when I haven't had a 4 hour long math test. Thanks for the advice and help guys.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Oxac: May 26 2009, 02:06 PM

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 26 2009, 02:15 PM
Instructor
Take a brake buddy, no need to rush anything here smile.gif
Try another one tomorrow or day after, recharge your batteries wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 26 2009, 10:08 PM
Instructor
Here is guitar pro file of my solo.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Straight_vs_syncopated_collaboration_solo.gp5 ( 6.28K ) Number of downloads: 90

--------------------

+Quote Post
JamesT
May 29 2009, 02:19 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Here's my take Pedja.
Wow, syncopation is something I haven't worked on in the past. I hope that I got the basic idea. If I'm on the right track, the 1st 4 bars here are syncopated, then I'm "on beat" for 4 bars, then 4-bars are somewhat syncopated, and the last 4 are on beat again. I hope that I got that right, and that this is what you're looking for.

The harmonic minor scale was fun to mess around with. I should do some more work to memorize all the 3nps harmonic minor modes (Like Zolt's modal madness lesson). Here, I just picked a few notes from the scale that seemed to fit.

Attached File  30090528_Collab_Syncopation_wBacking.mp3 ( 520.13K ) Number of downloads: 177

Attached File  30090528_Collab_Syncopation_noBacking.mp3 ( 520.13K ) Number of downloads: 129

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 29 2009, 12:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JamesT @ May 29 2009, 03:19 AM) *
Here's my take Pedja.
Wow, syncopation is something I haven't worked on in the past. I hope that I got the basic idea. If I'm on the right track, the 1st 4 bars here are syncopated, then I'm "on beat" for 4 bars, then 4-bars are somewhat syncopated, and the last 4 are on beat again. I hope that I got that right, and that this is what you're looking for.

The harmonic minor scale was fun to mess around with. I should do some more work to memorize all the 3nps harmonic minor modes (Like Zolt's modal madness lesson). Here, I just picked a few notes from the scale that seemed to fit.

Attached File  30090528_Collab_Syncopation_wBacking.mp3 ( 520.13K ) Number of downloads: 177

Attached File  30090528_Collab_Syncopation_noBacking.mp3 ( 520.13K ) Number of downloads: 129

Very nice take Jim.
I will accept it as final take but there are some things you can improve as future reference.
When you were doing straight rhythm you always started good and strong but then later on started adding ties and dots to the notes which turned out to be somewhat syncopated rhythm. I know backing is syncopated and it tends to pull you to pull that way but still I think you did good job with introducing some straight rhythm in there.
Glad you enjoyed Harmonic minor scale. It is definitely fun one to work with especially over Dom7 chord.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dexxter
May 29 2009, 05:18 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Here's my take Pedja smile.gif

It's the first time I upload the first improvisation over the backing, or a totally improvised take at all really ohmy.gif I noticed afterwards that I overused syncopated rhythms for the sake of this class, but I got some straight rhythm in there. Is this take ok, or should I redo it? smile.gif

Edit: Forgot to attach the take laugh.gif

[attachment=15943:Dexxter_...ated_WBT.mp3]
[attachment=15944:Dexxter_...ated_NBT.mp3]

This post has been edited by Dexxter: May 29 2009, 05:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 29 2009, 06:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dexxter @ May 29 2009, 06:18 PM) *
Here's my take Pedja smile.gif

It's the first time I upload the first improvisation over the backing, or a totally improvised take at all really ohmy.gif I noticed afterwards that I overused syncopated rhythms for the sake of this class, but I got some straight rhythm in there. Is this take ok, or should I redo it? smile.gif

Edit: Forgot to attach the take laugh.gif

[attachment=15943:Dexxter_...ated_WBT.mp3]
[attachment=15944:Dexxter_...ated_NBT.mp3]

Thanks a lot Dexxter !
You are right, this one has a lot more syncopated then straight rhythm. Again I think that was the case among most takes so far. You can keep it or submit another one. Looks like I will have to extend the deadline as there is only couple of submitted takes so far.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dexxter
May 29 2009, 06:42 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ May 29 2009, 07:16 PM) *
Thanks a lot Dexxter !
You are right, this one has a lot more syncopated then straight rhythm. Again I think that was the case among most takes so far. You can keep it or submit another one. Looks like I will have to extend the deadline as there is only couple of submitted takes so far.

Ok, I don't have time now, going away to my gf. But if you have to extend the guideline I will make another take when I come back, otherwise I'll keep it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 29 2009, 07:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dexxter @ May 29 2009, 07:42 PM) *
Ok, I don't have time now, going away to my gf. But if you have to extend the guideline I will make another take when I come back, otherwise I'll keep it smile.gif

Sounds good Dexxter. Deadline will be extended so you will have chance to submit another take smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dexxter
May 29 2009, 07:12 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ May 29 2009, 08:04 PM) *
Sounds good Dexxter. Deadline will be extended so you will have chance to submit another take smile.gif

Alright Pedja wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
berko
May 30 2009, 05:00 PM
I'm sorry for the long delay Pedja! As I said earlier, I messed up the first recording, then, after rerecording it I wasn't satisfied with it anymore as a compostion. I had an exam yesterday so I only got to time for a new take today.

I tried to keep it simple and to maintain the balance between straight and syncopated rhythm... I also used lot's of syncopation but I tried to include some more (rhythmically) straightforward passages to even it out.

I hope I got the basic idea right in this collab, and thanks for giving us a bit more time on this one smile.gif

Attached File  rhythm_collab_berko_w_BT.mp3 ( 774.82K ) Number of downloads: 146

Attached File  rhythm_collab_berko_noBT.mp3 ( 774.82K ) Number of downloads: 127

This post has been edited by berko: May 30 2009, 05:01 PM

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 30 2009, 05:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (berko @ May 30 2009, 06:00 PM) *
I'm sorry for the long delay Pedja! As I said earlier, I messed up the first recording, then, after rerecording it I wasn't satisfied with it anymore as a compostion. I had an exam yesterday so I only got to time for a new take today.

I tried to keep it simple and to maintain the balance between straight and syncopated rhythm... I also used lot's of syncopation but I tried to include some more (rhythmically) straightforward passages to even it out.

I hope I got the basic idea right in this collab, and thanks for giving us a bit more time on this one smile.gif

Attached File  rhythm_collab_berko_w_BT.mp3 ( 774.82K ) Number of downloads: 146

Attached File  rhythm_collab_berko_noBT.mp3 ( 774.82K ) Number of downloads: 127

Berko this was beautiful man. I really enjoyed listening to it 2/3 into the solo.
Last section , phrasing was a bit all over the place but everything before it was well done.

Will write you more about it in PM as I have to leave now (have some friends coming over in half an hour smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
berko
May 30 2009, 05:40 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ May 30 2009, 06:23 PM) *
Berko this was beautiful man. I really enjoyed listening to it 2/3 into the solo.
Last section , phrasing was a bit all over the place but everything before it was well done.

Will write you more about it in PM as I have to leave now (have some friends coming over in half an hour smile.gif

Great to hear it Pedja biggrin.gif But yes, as I'm listening to it now, the last section would certainly need some brushing up
Take your time with the comments and have fun with the friends cool.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 31 2009, 07:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (berko @ May 30 2009, 06:40 PM) *
Great to hear it Pedja biggrin.gif But yes, as I'm listening to it now, the last section would certainly need some brushing up
Take your time with the comments and have fun with the friends cool.gif

Berko I will write comments after 7th of June. You can submit another take if you want by that time !

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdriver
Jun 1 2009, 02:35 AM
Pedja, you think like a music computer. This one is over my head. The only thing I understood in your instructions is a tonal center of A minor. I played my solo in the D Dorian position. This is the one and only take. I don't know upbeat from downbeat, and besides, I am the soloist, I can't be bothered with accurate rhythm. wink.gif

I want to talk more about this after you post your comments.

Attached File  jdriver_synco_WBT.mp3 ( 709.81K ) Number of downloads: 162

Attached File  jdriver_synco_WOBT.mp3 ( 684.05K ) Number of downloads: 179

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 1 2009, 01:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jdriver @ Jun 1 2009, 03:35 AM) *
Pedja, you think like a music computer. This one is over my head. The only thing I understood in your instructions is a tonal center of A minor. I played my solo in the D Dorian position. This is the one and only take. I don't know upbeat from downbeat, and besides, I am the soloist, I can't be bothered with accurate rhythm. wink.gif

I want to talk more about this after you post your comments.

Attached File  jdriver_synco_WBT.mp3 ( 709.81K ) Number of downloads: 162

Attached File  jdriver_synco_WOBT.mp3 ( 684.05K ) Number of downloads: 179

Haha !
Jeff I don't think like music computer, I am just trying to find interesting and creative ways for you guys to learn about everything. This concept of straight and syncopated rhythm is actually quite common in music, but its something that not many people talk about (its stuff thats hidden beneath the layers if you want it put that way smile.gif.

Your solo was using syncopated rhythm as it was off beat trough out.
If you want it to be final take, I will accept it but I will write you final comments and send you PM more about straight rhythm soloing.

Thanks Jeff

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdriver
Jun 1 2009, 08:16 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jun 1 2009, 05:02 AM) *
Your solo was using syncopated rhythm as it was off beat trough out.
If you want it to be final take, I will accept it but I will write you final comments and send you PM more about straight rhythm soloing.

Thanks Jeff

Yes this is the final take, and I welcome your comments. I tried other takes and all I ended up changing was the tone. So this is an area I need to learn more about.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 1 2009, 11:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jdriver @ Jun 1 2009, 09:16 PM) *
Yes this is the final take, and I welcome your comments. I tried other takes and all I ended up changing was the tone. So this is an area I need to learn more about.

Beautiful Jeff, I am glad to hear that. I will send you some guitar pro examples of rhythms and what Straight rhythm soloing looks and sounds like.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 5 2009, 01:06 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Pedja,

Here another take.
As i said i'm a bit out of ideas. Hope straight and syncopated
rhythms are better balanced now.

Attached File  Pedja_Class_4_Syncopated_Soloing_wbt_03.mp3 ( 840.68K ) Number of downloads: 149
Attached File  Pedja_Class_4_Syncopated_Soloing_nbt_03.mp3 ( 813.28K ) Number of downloads: 141

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:09 PM