3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Fast Fret Or Olive Oil? You Make The Choice.
fkalich
Dec 13 2007, 01:48 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Muris @ Dec 12 2007, 06:11 PM) *
Just read my mind,I have small bottle of lemon oil
which I use to refill Fast Fret here and there. wink.gif

it might be ok, i just sort of remember something about that, not sure if it was clogging pores on the fretboard, or possibly frets, not sure. could be wrong.

I am sure you are fairly expertise in the fine art of substitution for the products normally used. when I made myself self sufficient for 3 months (the generally recommended length of time), I found that the Sarajevo experience was a model for the checklist of things you want to make sure you have in stock, if they are not available.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Dec 13 2007, 09:57 AM
I've read that lemon oil can cause the frets to corrode.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Dec 13 2007, 11:10 AM
Numerous people have told me that while at first using olive oil will give you good results, after a while it will just make the fretboard even gooier.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Dec 13 2007, 05:02 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I now use olive oil and it works great

but how many times a month, week, year do I have to do the oil on my strings ?

--------------------
Homer J. Simpson: Rockstars is there anything they dont know?

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Dec 13 2007, 05:27 PM
Using Lemon Oil on the fretboard helps the wood retain moisture. I put it on every other time I change strings. So about once every 2 months. I've been using Fast Fret for 17 years and have always liked it a lot. I had gotten away from using it but my fingertips have gotten really sore recently so I put some on before playing last night and it was much more comfortable playing. I'm not doubting the Olive Oil but I've got a couple of sticks of Fast fret around so for now I'm gonna go with what I know.

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 13 2007, 05:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Dec 13 2007, 01:48 AM) *
it might be ok, i just sort of remember something about that, not sure if it was clogging pores on the fretboard, or possibly frets, not sure. could be wrong.

I am sure you are fairly expertise in the fine art of substitution for the products normally used. when I made myself self sufficient for 3 months (the generally recommended length of time), I found that the Sarajevo experience was a model for the checklist of things you want to make sure you have in stock, if they are not available.

Man,I really LOVE your posts biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Bali
Dec 13 2007, 05:56 PM
I've been using fast fret for +20 years, I use it all the time before and after playing, I just think there's no substitute for it (certainly not olive oil). Almost everyone I know that tried it loved it.

Is it expensive? Well, it lasts ages.

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Feb 9 2008, 03:42 PM
Ive been using Olive Oil since reading this and have had no problems with anything... I like using it on my guitar

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Feb 10 2008, 02:43 PM
Instructor
WATCH-OUT Mineral Oils are dangerous for health, if you don't trust me search on the web, your skin will absorb it...most of the time mineral oil cames from Petrol, Olive oil and lemon oil if are additive free are fine, they are natural and cheap, just a little smelly, personally I don't use neither, my hands starts to warm up and sweat as soon as I move on the stage biggrin.gif

Joe Kataldo

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Feb 10 2008, 02:48 PM
I only use extra virgin olive oil, and there is no smell... things are great with it

Only reason i started to use it was because of this post in the forum.. I actually like it better than fast fret..

This post has been edited by Outlaw2112: Feb 10 2008, 03:05 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 10 2008, 03:16 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
After reading this thread I started using using Fast Fret around a month ago, and I have a doubt: how do you know when it is completely used, and you need to get a new one? When it feels dry?

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Feb 10 2008, 03:32 PM
Heres a couple of more articles on using olive oil on your guitar..

http://www.jazzguitar.be/how_to_string_a_guitar.html

http://www.merde.org/guitar/carefeed.html

http://www.guitarchordsmagic.com/how-to-string-a-guitar.html

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/29525-post8.html

Ive done my research before putting some olive oil on my $500 dollar guitar..

Seems like its a very popular oil for the strings and fretboard, and people have been using it for years.. I have no complaints with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 10 2008, 04:30 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
How did you guys get the stuff on the fretboard without getting strings off??

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 10 2008, 04:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Feb 10 2008, 04:30 PM) *
How did you guys get the stuff on the fretboard without getting strings off??

Try with tooth pix or something similar. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 10 2008, 04:33 PM
I use Jif Lemon that you use on pancakes.

I don't really so please don't try this biggrin.gif. I have a carbon epoxy type neck so it isn't a problem for me. I think it is all a con but some people love using fast fret I know.

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Feb 10 2008, 04:34 PM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 10 2008, 04:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fran @ Feb 10 2008, 03:16 PM) *
After reading this thread I started using using Fast Fret around a month ago, and I have a doubt: how do you know when it is completely used, and you need to get a new one? When it feels dry?

Yeah,I suppose it's finished when it's dry...

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
JVM
Feb 10 2008, 04:58 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 10 2008, 10:33 AM) *
I use Jif Lemon that you use on pancakes.

I don't really so please don't try this biggrin.gif. I have a carbon epoxy type neck so it isn't a problem for me. I think it is all a con but some people love using fast fret I know.

Gotta love parker necks biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 10 2008, 05:56 PM
Instructor
I use one FastFret pack for months now, and it still haven't dried out. It sure lasts long. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
fkalich
Feb 10 2008, 06:03 PM
Olive oil has mystical magical properties.

Die thread die.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 10 2008, 06:34 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I never tried olive oil or fast fret on the strings but if I were to test it I'd go for olive oil. Seem nicer to me to use a natural product and I'd even dare to play with my tounge or teeth knowing the strings are prepared with an oil that's said to be good for ones heart.

Healthy rocking!!!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:51 PM