I Need Some Help ;)
ChrisVdS
Oct 8 2008, 06:49 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

I'm practicing to switch betwen chords smootly the G D and C chords but i'm having some problems with it can anyone give me some pointers please??

2 weeks ago i signed up for group lessons and i need to be able to do the chord switching smooth in 2 weeks so i can go on to the next group wink.gif

Anyways thanks in advance

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:

Fender "California series" stratocaster
Roland Cube 20X
Peavey Envoy 110
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Jose Mena
Oct 8 2008, 07:05 PM
Instructor
You are talking about the basic chord shapes?, with these you will need time, when I started playing these I had trouble with the changes too, as a matter of fact if I learn a new weird shape It would take some time to learn how to go to it quick.

This is what helps me:

I try to figure out finger by finger how much they have to move, for instance lets say you are going from a G to a D, look at the movements by finger, the index finger will move from 5th string second fret to 3rd string second fret, the middle finger will move from 6th string 3rd fret to 1st string second fret, and the ring finger will stay were it is. So it isn't necessary to take your hand completely of the fretboard to do this change, it is really a matter of getting used to it, but analyzing things helps

good luck

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
ChrisVdS
Oct 8 2008, 07:19 PM
okay i will try that

thank you Jose smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:

Roland Cube 20X
Peavey Envoy 110

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Oct 8 2008, 07:30 PM
You might already be doing this, but learn to play the G chord with middle, ring, and pinky. That makes it real easy to go from C to G and vice versa. When I started out, I was not playing the G this way and had the same problem as you.

-Kiz

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 8 2008, 08:33 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Oct 8 2008, 08:30 PM) *
You might already be doing this, but learn to play the G chord with middle, ring, and pinky. That makes it real easy to go from C to G and vice versa. When I started out, I was not playing the G this way and had the same problem as you.

-Kiz

Yeah, same fingering there. Only problem left then is D but if you just practice the switch between C -> D -> C -> D over and over again it will soon come to you.

you could also try barré chords for all G C and D or use open G and C while playing D as barré.

Or... there's a fingering for the G chord where you fret all the notes on the third fret (+ dampen string with fretting fingers) then you'll have your index finger on the G fret of the low E string. It would then be smooth moving it down one string and strum a barré C chord and then just move to a barré D chord.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 8 2008, 08:55 PM
Instructor
The most effective way is to spend some time analyzing how your fingers move while switching chords. Try to see exactly what move every finger makes when switching, and try to minimize that movement as much as you can and focus on all the movements involved. This can be tricky since the brain can only focus well on one finger at a time, but try it at a really slow tempo, and do one move at a time, and them combine them together. The speed up a bit and so on. This will definitely improve your switching, but don't forget to leave some time, like a week or so, to let the fresh stuff lay down a bit in your memory.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ChrisVdS
Oct 9 2008, 03:48 PM
thx guys it's getting better biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by ChrisVdS: Oct 9 2008, 04:24 PM

--------------------
Gear:

Roland Cube 20X
Peavey Envoy 110

+Quote Post
Jesse
Oct 9 2008, 05:33 PM
I agree with the others on finger positioning indeed. You are not talking about powerchords right? How long have you been playing.

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:19 PM